Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Great News..REX Texture Direct and Soft Clouds..

loads in perfectly, and with using Texture Direct, after you set your P3D v4 to the main, root folder of P3D v5,  you can (after you set them up) inject 4096 lower cloud sets and 2048 mid to high.  The result ( I have already done this, with the sim set to 4096 Textures) is absolutely stunning in TrueSky enabled.   The Texture Direct allows for full 4096 Cloud Texture Sets...

I have a sky full of very dense 4096 cloud cover, and my vRAM load in is 5.4/6.7 and 30 FPS set to 30 FPS locked.  Take a look on your Desktop...for I'll bet you that you have both programs.  

REX Texture Direct

REX Stand Alone SOFT CLOUDS.

No more, little cotton balls...:

2020-4-24-15-59-19-248.jpg

2020-4-24-15-42-56-310.jpg

2020-4-24-15-34-18-870.jpg

2020-4-24-15-34-35-71.jpg

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 4

You sure 2d sprites are used in noise rendered cloud drawing? 

I was removing stars other day and realised that my usual stars.dat file no longer works, I had to remove couple of lines in one of the trueskys shaders.

• Like 1

That isnt Soft Clouds. That is TrueSky. Putting in 2d cloud sprites into a volumetric skybox doesn't do anything. 

• Like 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

But when you use TrueSky, you aren't using any of those textures

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Mitch, that looks stunning. But afaik REX TD or REX SC are not yet officially v5 "compatible". How do I install REX to P3Dv5 if I don't have any P3Dv4 or REX product on my current system. And if it works, is it safe? I mean, do I get back my original textures if necessary (w/o v5 content re-installation)?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

12 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Mitch, that looks stunning. But afaik REX TD or REX SC are not yet officially v5 "compatible". How do I install REX to P3Dv5 if I don't have any P3Dv4 or REX product on my current system. And if it works, is it safe? I mean, do I get back my original textures if necessary (w/o v5 content re-installation)?

Guys...oh yes..I'm injecting into TrueSky..for with each injection of a cloud set...the scene changes..but anyways..

If you don't have it already installed, I would not buy them...but most of us have at some time.   Texture Direct came out first, and then Tim put out a Stand Alone Soft Clouds.  Here's just a few more. Let people compare their TrueSky rendering with the default cloud set to these cloud scapes...and tell me if you see any difference!  Nemo, most of us are just exploring..and seeing what you can do..and what slaps your hand away.  I have always like Tim's 4096 cloud sets..and here they are, now in v5.   You first though have to point to your v5 installation folder, in the Direct Textures v4 mask.  After that, inject away!  

2020-4-24-15-46-59-647.jpg

2020-4-24-15-47-45-887.jpg

2020-4-24-15-49-2-567.jpg

Edited by Sesquashtoo

8 minutes ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

That isnt Soft Clouds. That is TrueSky. Putting in 2d cloud sprites into a volumetric skybox doesn't do anything. 

Works for me, lol!

Yeah, there's not a single Rex texture in any of those screenshots, those are all volumetric TrueSky clouds, just like we all see under the new system. This is all in your imagination 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

10 minutes ago, Sethos said:

But when you use TrueSky, you aren't using any of those textures

I don't know 'bout that...and I love the shaders in TrueSky..making the underbelly of the clouds ready to drop that rain...it looks fantastic in live action upon my monitor, and not compressed by a screenshot format.  Anyway...just thought to share what I was doing...

Edited by Sesquashtoo

2 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I don't know 'bout that...

everything up from ground is managed by truesky. When you reload the scene what it does is reposition clouds and thats it. Obviously because of technology used every scene will be slightly different and chance to see two identical cloud shapes is pretty slim.

4 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Yeah, there's not a single Rex texture in any of those screenshots, those are all volumetric TrueSky clouds, just like we all see under the new system. This is all in your imagination 🙂

Oh..ok...but it changes out each time I inject another set...but ok...:)  Back to the fun...

2 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Oh..ok...but it changes out each time I inject another set...but ok...:)  Back to the fun...

Because you're initiating a reload of the weather. Being volumetric, they can render any shapes and sizes, thus you can get a new look each time. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

What REX does is overwrite the 2D clouds textures used in the old atmospheric engine and it works without any update from them because LM haven't changed anything in the old system. However, when you switch to the new enhanced atmospherics (trueSKY) it uses a completely different system and doesn't touch the old system with REX cloud textures in it. So what you're doing with REX textures doesn't affect trueSKY at all.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

4 minutes ago, threegreen said:

What REX does is overwrite the 2D clouds textures used in the old atmospheric engine and it works without any update from them because LM haven't changed anything in the old system. However, when you switch to the new enhanced atmospherics (trueSKY) it uses a completely different system and doesn't touch the old system with REX cloud textures in it. So what you're doing with REX textures doesn't affect trueSKY at all.

OK...I'll accept the explanations..but before I did this..I had really,really....LOUSY cloudscapes..puff balls..horrible. As soon as I started playing around with what I have been typing about...the sky completely changed, the clouds completely changed..and no matter what has happened then...am thrilled by the result.  Ok..back to regularly scheduled v5 flying... 🙂

19 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

OK...I'll accept the explanations..but before I did this..I had really,really....LOUSY cloudscapes..puff balls..horrible. As soon as I started playing around with what I have been typing about...the sky completely changed, the clouds completely changed..and no matter what has happened then...am thrilled by the result.  Ok..back to regularly scheduled v5 flying... 🙂

I haven't bought v5 myself yet, but I think the visual change you saw might have come from different weather. TrueSKY renders clouds not just randomly but according to weather conditions AFAIK, so if you had changing weather conditions it probably rendered accordingly. Sometimes real world clouds look pretty meh, too. In any case, trueSKY is able to render the volumetric clouds in any kind of shape and look and you will see a lot more variation in cloud visuals than with 2D textures.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD