Sign in to follow this  
julian46

REX dropping P3D V5 support for WX Radar

Following this thread.  Thx.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

5 hours ago, julian46 said:

Just wondering what this means for FlySimWare - Lear, Falcon and MU-2 going forward

Well, I have no idea, I doubt FSW is even aware of this news yet.

As for me, I see two alternatives for the existing versions of FSW a/c that have the WX Radar bezel built into the panel.

1. I can go back to what I did before I purchased the WX Radar from REX. I developed what I called a Wind Radar gauge-- just a play on words -- that took advantage of the REX Radar screen since I didn't like it just sitting there blank all the time. It had a couple of different displays selectable with the mouse.

As shown in the first pic, the display gives you wind direction and magnitude, and the headwind (or tailwind) and crosswind wind components relative to the nose of the a/c. WCA is Wind Correction Angle, the heading correction needed to maintain the desired course due to the crosswind. Also displayed is true airspeed and ground speed, and the altimeter setting.

b29ca5d64a.JPG

This second picture just shows you can click to display the current Magnetic Variation for your location.

e9c9e90ded.JPG

This last picture just shows that if the altimeter setting you have set in the aircraft's altimeter differs from what the sim thinks the altimeter setting should be by more than 0.02, the altimeter display will flash on and off in red to remind you to update your setting in the aircraft.

02f2c83ae5.JPG

I currently use this "Wind Radar" as a 2D popup in the Lear35, MU-2 and Falcon in P3Dv4.5 HF3 since the REX WX Radar works in that sim.

2. The second 'what to do' alternative to try while waiting to see what FSW will do is to use another weather radar. I just learned there is a freeware wx radar by Roland that I might be able to make work using the REX WX Radar screen in a manner similar to the above.  I don't know much about this radar at this point but more info is available on AVSIM here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/459050-another-radar-gauge-for-vc-window-usage/

See the last few pages of the thread.

Al

Edited by ark

very nice ! - what (language or sdk) do you write a gauge in for P3d ? - neat idea - thanks for the link - I think HiFi either has something basic or will release something too - in the mean time Im happy using V4.5 HotFix 3 - don't feel the need to upgrade to 5 at this point.

13 minutes ago, julian46 said:

what (language or sdk) do you write a gauge in for P3d ?

If you are asking about the 'Wind Radar' gauge it is written in XML. The freeware WX radar by Roland is a dll -- likely written in some form of C or C++ I would guess.

Al

• Like 1

Latest good news. 😊

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 2