Sign in to follow this  
Mallard

Now I'm wiser...

...the skies cleared up last night, and I got a glimpse of the NEOWISE comet - so out came the camera... I took the pictures at half past midnight looking almost straight due north.

neo1.jpg

neo1a.jpg

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2020_F3_(NEOWISE) it will be back in about 6,800 years. Just in case you miss it this time 🙂

Cheers

Mallard

Edited by Mallard
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Good for you mate!

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre

34 minutes ago, Mallard said:

...the skies cleared up last night, and I got a glimpse of the NEOWISE comet - so out came the camera... I took the pictures at half past midnight looking almost straight due north.

neo1.jpg

neo1a.jpg

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2020_F3_(NEOWISE) it will be back in about 6,800 years. Just in case you miss it this time 🙂

Cheers

Mallard

Very nice Pic's. Thanks for the schedule and I put it in my desktop calendar. I will be watching for it when it comes back in a "few" years! LOL

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

It looks bigger than it was when last seen here. And a bit brighter too.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Of course there is a comet ... It's 2020. It just means the crazy isn't over yet.. It's screaming.. "Wait.. There's More To Come!"

Sheesh

Ps; Really great picture.. Thank you!

Edited by HawkDsl

8 hours ago, W2DR said:

It looks bigger than it was when last seen here. And a bit brighter too.

It will not look as impressive as that with the naked eye. Maybe Mallard can let us know?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks for the comet-comments 😉 If I would believe in premonitions I'd probably go for the wise-men approach - I mean, hey, it's already in the name - instead of the harbinger of doom!

I'm not sure how bright it looked last time, I wasn't around, 4,500 years ago... If you know where to look you will be able to see it with your naked eye as a star with a smudge (if you've ever spotted our neighbouring galaxy without any visual aid, 2.5 million light-year distant Andromeda, it's similar to that). But through a pair of binoculars you will easily get to see what is shown in the second picture. The first picture was taken with a 600mm telephoto lense, the second was snapped with a 150mm lense. I had to wait until enough light had faded from the sky to find it, it's really close to the horizon and in these parts (Ireland) it never really gets completely dark in summer.

And, granted, in pictures with a a bit of a longer exposure (2.5 seconds for both) things in the sky will always look better...

Cheers

Mallard

Thanks, Mallard. I was referring to how bright it appears to the naked eye at this apparition! For the record, I have always been fascinated with comets, and I used to simulate their orbits on my home PC twenty years ago with a wonderful piece of software called Dance of the Planets (ARC Science Simulations).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png