Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

Difficulties with Autopilot Controls

Recommended Posts

I am having trouble controlling the autopilot.

1. “Z” turns it on but will not turn it off

2. Clicking the green autopilot button turns it on and usually off, but sometimes not, then I use the SBY on the panel.

3. Under autopilot, when I use “ctrl-H”, the heading bug moves to the current heading but the HDG light on the panel does not come on – I have to click it on

4. Under autopilot, when I use “ctrl-Z”, the aircraft captures the altitude but the ALT light does not come on – I have to click it on

In essence I am finding its operation erratic and wonder what I am doing wrong.

Nigel

Vancouver

ps great aircraft, I fly it all the time at the present

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nigelgrant said:

I am having trouble controlling the autopilot.

1. “Z” turns it on but will not turn it off

2. Clicking the green autopilot button turns it on and usually off, but sometimes not, then I use the SBY on the panel.

3. Under autopilot, when I use “ctrl-H”, the heading bug moves to the current heading but the HDG light on the panel does not come on – I have to click it on

4. Under autopilot, when I use “ctrl-Z”, the aircraft captures the altitude but the ALT light does not come on – I have to click it on

In essence I am finding its operation erratic and wonder what I am doing wrong.

Nigel

Vancouver

ps great aircraft, I fly it all the time at the present

Hi Nigel,

It is hard to help without some basic information:

- Which turboprop aircraft, and what version?

- What sim?

- Is this a new buy/install, or an update?

Thx,

Al

 

Edited by ark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

OK Nigel, based on your "green autopilot button" statement I assume you are talking about the MU-2 (the C441 does not have a green autopilot button light).  So from the Flysimware MU-2 manual, which is worth reading, listed below is how the AP functions are controlled. Why you can't toggle the AP on and off with the Z key I don't know at the moment, so the rest of the info I requested above would still be helpful.

Al

➢ 0. KEY ASSIGNMENTS
Autopilot modes can be assigned to the keyboard / joystick by using the
following“G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY” & “G1000_MFD_SOFTKEY” assignments.
Full list:
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY1 = HDG
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY2 = Not used
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY3 = NAV
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY4 = BC
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY5 = VORAPR
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY6 = STBY
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY7 = Not used
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY8 = Not used
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY9 = IAS
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY10 = VS
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY11 = APR
G1000_PFD_SOFTKEY12 = ALTSEL
G1000_MFD_SOFTKEY1 = ALT
Default Z key to toggle the autopilot on or off.

Edited by ark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I thought I was in the MU2 forum; I am running P3D4.5 and it is a relatively new install with no updates. I will get back to you, I need to work out the Key Assignments you noted; they were in the manual and I didn't pursue them, I thought the default keys would work.  I guess the P3D  ctrl H and ctrl Z don't work with the MU2

 

Thx for you quick response

 

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nigelgrant said:

Sorry, I thought I was in the MU2 forum; I am running P3D4.5 and it is a relatively new install with no updates. I will get back to you, I need to work out the Key Assignments you noted; they were in the manual and I didn't pursue them, I thought the default keys would work.  I guess the P3D  ctrl H and ctrl Z don't work with the MU2

If you want to use ctrl H and ctrl Z, etc., for consistency with your other aircraft, assign them to the applicable G1000 options in accordance with the MU-2 manual.

Al

Edited by ark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am flumoxed - I cannot find any G1000 options anywhere; I am using the GNS 530.

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nigelgrant said:

I am flumoxed - I cannot find any G1000 options anywhere; I am using the GNS 530.

Nigel

The AP key assignments have nothing to do with what GPS you are using. The idea is you are going to use P3Dv4.5 key assignments that would not otherwise be used for the MU-2, such as the G1000 assignments, since the MU-2 doesn't have a G1000. So as shown below, if in fact you wanted to assign Ctrl+H to AP heading hold on/off, you go to the P3D key assignments page and assign Ctrl+H to G1000 PFD Softkey1 as specified in the MU-2 manual.

The downside of this approach is once you make the assignment as shown below, Ctrl+H will no longer be the P3D default AP Heading Hold On/Off key control since you have to delete that assignment to make the new one for the MU-2. However, if you have a registered version of FSUIPC6, then you can make these MU-2 assignments 'Profile specific' so they would only apply to the MU-2.  Or, of course, you can use another key or key combination (or button) in place of Ctrl+H for the MU-2 (such as F3, Tab+H, Ctrl+Shift+H, Shift+?, etc). The idea being to pick MU-2 AP key assignments that won't conflict with key assignments that you use for other aircraft.  You may, for example, find it works for the MU-2 to just substitute Tab for Ctrl in the default P3D AP key assignments, so Tab+H, Tab+Z, etc.) . The choice of what AP key assignments to assign for the MU-2 via the G1000 softkey options is up to you. And note the assignment for the AP ALT is G1000_MFD_Softkey1 (not PFD).

Al

 

705e226a2f.png

 

Edited by ark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Al, a very good treatise for me to think about, I will probably try using FSUIPC but will not get back to you for a while since I am currently draining the swamp and there is a bunch of alligators at my ankles

 

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, nigelgrant said:

Thank you Al, a very good treatise for me to think about, I will probably try using FSUIPC but will not get back to you for a while since I am currently draining the swamp and there is a bunch of alligators at my ankles

 

Nigel

OK Nigel. And yes, I agree FSUIPC is a good way to go.

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    28%
    $7,125.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...