Sign in to follow this  
SmokeDiddy

Gloom, Dispare and Agony on Me...

So, for the past week, I've tweaked and tweaked and tweaked settings in order to stop the stuttering and pausing.  Just when I thought it's finally solved, here they come back.  At this point, I'm left hoping for a miracle with the, soon to be released, patch.  I have this sobering feeling that, for my hardware and internet connection, the outlook for me moving forward with MSFS2020 in the near term is slim at best.

Here's my dilemma:

i5 6600k CPU, 4 core, no hyper threading 3.5Ghz (stock) | GTX1070 | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | std 23" monitor 60Hz | Internet 20Mbps down/10Mbps up, avg ~12Mbps down.

Clearly, there's plenty to choose from when it comes to weak links in my setup.  In my mind, I'm thinking that it's fruitless if I upgrade my hardware just to have limited internet.  I'd be interested to hear from those that have high end hardware, but limited internet.

I also have to believe that with, soon to come, premium add-on aircraft, sceneries and other items we simmers gotta have.  Doesn't it make sense that the hardware requirements for these items along with the sim will increase?

I was able to get a few weeks in the seat during Beta.  I did not encounter the stutters and pausing to the level I've seen it since the release; however, I was plagued with the Internet Connection Lost error constantly when trying to fly around my location in southeast US.  When I'd fly around New York or LA, rarely did I get this error, but my FPS suffered for obvious reasons, and no noticeable pausing.

AVSIM has always been a lifeline to me and many others.  I will listen to all ideas and opinions to the quandary I find myself.  At 56 years old in November last year, I was laid off from the company I spent 32 years of my life.  It's still a little early to retire, so in March I finally landed a job at 50% of the pay I was making, so my budget has suffered as a result.  If I have to upgrade hardware, i want to do it smartly.  I live in a rural community and the fixed wireless internet service is all I can get.  I'm not trying to start a pity party for SmokeDiddy, just reaching out with my specific issues to help me try to get at a happy place with MSFS2020.  Thanks for listening!  

• Like 2

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I feel for you and that sure sucks. Based on your computer specs which should certainly be enough to run MSFS quite nicely, I think it's your internet giving you problems. I'd guess that you are having inconsistent performance either from  your modem or your ISP provider. These are pretty basic things to try and I'm no IT tech guy, but have you tried powering down your modem box and then starting it back up again. Every once in a while that seems to be required for mine when I start having unexpected slow downs that I usually start noticing as streaming issues with Netflix etc... You should also verify your internet upload/download performance (free sites on the web to do this if you are not already aware of that) a few times a day, and particularly when the sim is performing really poorly for you. Shut the sim down and check your internet performance right then. If you do find that your upload/download speeds are not what you are supposed to be getting with your particular plan, and modem re-initialization doesn't solve it, then get onto your ISP and get them to straighten it out.

Just some possibilities to think about.

• Like 1

@fielder  - how did I know, even before clicking on that link...

Edited by javelina
  • Like 4

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

43 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

So, for the past week, I've tweaked and tweaked and tweaked settings in order to stop the stuttering and pausing.

hey buddy, your have a 6600K CPU.  You're running at stock speed.  Any K CPU can be overclocked.  I'm certain you can get a cheap and easy bump.  Prior to my current rig, I had a 4xxxK, can't remember the exact model number.  But I was able to easily bump it up to 4.2ghz.  I'm certain you can get your bad boy into the low to mid 4ghz's.  A nice little bump.  A quick search via Google, and I think you'll get a little more juice!!!

Edited by n4gix
For goodness' sake QUIT QUOTING THE WHOLE DARN POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

10 minutes ago, Flying Fisherman said:

I feel for you and that sure sucks. Based on your computer specs which should certainly be enough to run MSFS quite nicely, I think it's your internet giving you problems. I'd guess that you are having inconsistent performance either from  your modem or your ISP provider. These are pretty basic things to try and I'm no IT tech guy, but have you tried powering down your modem box and then starting it back up again. Every once in a while that seems to be required for mine when I start having unexpected slow downs that I usually start noticing as streaming issues with Netflix etc... You should also verify your internet upload/download performance (free sites on the web to do this if you are not already aware of that) a few times a day, and particularly when the sim is performing really poorly for you. Shut the sim down and check your internet performance right then. If you do find that your upload/download speeds are not what you are supposed to be getting with your particular plan, and modem re-initialization doesn't solve it, then get onto your ISP and get them to straighten it out.

Just some possibilities to think about.

Thank you, well it just so happens, I'm an IT guy.  My connection is quite stable and reliable, much more so than the DSL (dog slow line) I had when AT&T had service out here.  I'm confident in the test readings I'm getting, but again, the 5Mbps setting in the sim apparently is adequate for something, but it doesn't stop the stuttering and pauses on med-low settings.

• Like 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

14 hours ago, javelina said:

hey buddy, your have a 6600K CPU.  You're running at stock speed.  Any K CPU can be overclocked....

Yo, I had my CPU OC'd a couple of years ago and I didn't really need it in P3D or XP11, so I backed it off.  Nevertheless, this morning I OC'd it again to 4.5Ghz.  The sim is still bottlenecking on the CPU on Medium settings - which is causing the stutters and pauses.  I will try again and do some different settings to see if it makes any difference.  Thanks for reply!!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Yo, I had my CPU OC'd a couple of years ago and I didn't really need it in P3D or XP11, so I backed it off.  Nevertheless, this morning I OC'd it again to 4.5Ghz.  The sim is still bottlenecking on the CPU on Medium settings - which is causing the stutters and pauses.  I will try again and do some different settings to see if it makes any difference.  Thanks for reply!!!!

good luck buddy, keep us posted!

Try downloading some areas and fly off-line and see if that makes a difference with the stutters.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, javelina said:

good luck buddy, keep us posted!

Thanks man; unfortunately, I tried again and this time on Low-End setting and as always within 5 mins of flight (after waiting at EOR) for stuff to load, it starts pausing and my cpu sitting at 100%.  I do have the latest Nvidia driver installed and it was even doing this with the previous driver as well.  I really thing this sim requires more than 4 cores and hyperthreading.  I'm pretty much at the end of my tenure with this sim until I can come up with some xtra funds, but even then, I'm not sure if my present internet will suffice.  I'm not even sure MS or Asobo know what the minimum requirementrs are, but I think, at this point, it's more than what I have.

3 minutes ago, stevekr said:

Try downloading some areas and fly off-line and see if that makes a difference with the stutters.

Thanks!  I've tried that also and it does the same thing.

I tried everything and nothing worked with stopping stutters.  I came across this and it was the thing that worked for me.  Its worth giving a try.  This is for the microsoft version.  If I steam, I think you can choose "desktop app" and navigate to Steam microsoft flight sim version.

Game Bar Page>Graphic Setting> Choose a app to set Preference (from drop down)

Choose>Microsoft Store

Select an App> Microsoft Flight Simulator (click add)

Options> High Performance

between that and changing a few settings from this video it solved about 95% of all stutters

I also diasble rolling cache.

Edited by IamRoger
missed a step
  • Like 1

Asus Z590-E motherboard, i9-10850K, Samsung EVO 970 1T M2, 32G Gskill RGB 3000 RAM, ASUS Strix ROG 3090OC, Honeycomb Yoke and throttle, Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke and Throttle, Thrustmaster TRP rudder

i have amd 5 2600, nvidia 1050ti, internet 6.5MB and i run surprisingly smooth in the ga aircraft.

over new york, still 30 fps, only thing what taxes is is the big handcrafted airports like kjkf.

now and then a loadpause. but not frequent..i am happy..surprisingly smooth.

i run on low/medium, clouds on high settings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Thanks!  I've tried that also and it does the same thing.

We all get some pauses sometimes when the scenery is loading, it varies depending on the route to Microsoft's server, regardless of your connection. I've seen some inconsistent download numbers from their servers at times.

Per the stuttering, try to use an analysis tool to find the bottleneck I suppose. Ensure it's installed on a relatively clean drive, ensure no IO bus pollution from other devices (legacy drives flooding control IO paths with bad commands).

Maybe try monitoring the performance with something like the Rob_Ainscough noted below:

48 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I've tried many combinations from none at all to 300GB, in the early Alpha's large Cache would just CTD.  So far, 64GB seems to help once I've flown an area for a while.  I think the 8GB suggestion is based on how good one's CPU is and how fast one's storage device is ... in my case the CPU has plenty of headroom and my M.2 drives are very fast Samsung Pro units.

Set the Cache size (or not).  Now monitor, use RTSS and log CPU cores and IO activity to file.  Then fly an area of choice.  Exit the sim.  Then start sim and fly the same area of choice and then compare the CPU logs ... that should give a good indication of what impact the Cache is or isn't having.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Another good tip is going to Power Management in Windows Control Settings and set it to Performance.

I think it defaults to Balanced.

• Like 2