Sign in to follow this  
Naji

Hello, after a very long time!

I effectively fly "Flight Unlimited Great Britain and Netherlands", as I have ORBx TrueEarth GB and Netherlands installed, all of the UK2000 Xtreme airports and VFR Airfields packages, lots of Scotflight airports and airfields, and FlyTampa Amsterdam Schiphol. This scenery is coupled with a custom AI database of aircraft models and flightplans (civilian airliners/bizjets/military planes), the Global AI Ship Traffic package, and REX Texture Direct 4 for upgraded atmospheric effects and textures. The plane I fly at the moment is the PMDG 777F, but I also have the PMDG 737NGX and 747-400 packages. I fly them all "low and slow" over the detailed scenery......just like I used to do with Ansgar's 747 in Flight Unlimited 3 :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It must be impressive, sure, Chris. I imagine your software is X plane 11, right ? Could you be more specific on how do you resolve ATC? I guess some add-on is necessary, but could you describe more accurately the whole setting?

Thanks.

Patrick

I edit just to share my new config with Reshade 4.7 Techniques=Pirate_Curve,ContrastAdaptiveSharpen,Pirate_Vibrance,Vibrance,prod80_02_Bloom,prod80_03_FilmicTonemap,LumaSharpen

Settings just "out of the box" without thorough tuning. It's more crisp, useful to see runway from a distance, but still with some moderate flare,and better colours. This adds up to my settings for sky, gamma and haze in flt3.cfg, for a plausible sky in good weather, already posted somewhere in this forum.

My new GeeBee1 cockpit: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aigh3EjyJKT3j-0jFZojJ9iUOlNkHg?e=vJ1NaN

Edited by patrikmore

PREPAR3D

That brings me back to the ATC topic. I've found on some forum this comment:

<<Vatsim - Typically there will not be a center, approach, tower, and ground on at the same time Ever unless there is an event. Also the audio codec is horrible.
From my experience as a controller and pilot on Vatsim, for G.A. it's just not worth it. Towers are only staffed at the largest of fields such as KDFW, KDAL, KMEM, KATL etc. Any Class D airports are a ghost town usually. Also I've had experiences with approach giving me some random vector and then logging off. That leaves the pilot past normal approaches, and in IMC a dangerous situation for G.A. Pilots especially if you are VOR Nav only.

Pilot edge - Good, expensive monthly fee, real as it gets except you are very limited to the western states. The learning curve is also discouraging. One slip up and you are likely going to get a stern tone from the controllers especially if they are busy.

Other ATC programs - Often sound too robotic, and are sometimes worse than the built in ATC.

In my opinion again, the best solution is Edit voice pack with the default ATC. The Default ATC staffs every single airport, center sector, approach, the whole ATC network over the continent AND it doesn't sound robotic like a bunch of voices stitched together. Edit voice pack gives you some powerful tools to tweak the default ATC such as adding new call signs, airport names, and making the speed of the controllers faster / slower.

The default ATC for VFR is more than adequate normally, for IFR it has some quirks that many don't know how to work around.

For example ATC will by default assign you a IFR approach, and assume you want vectors. Then every 5 seconds they will give you a new vector to fly, which can be absolutely infuriating.
However, if you select "select a different approach" you can then select an approach, STAR, and ILS with transitions instead of assumed vectors, and ATC will quiet down a little bit.

If you really want the most realistic default ATC experience, you can uncheck 'use a pilots voice' and 'show ATC log in ATC window'. What this will do is remove the pilot from talking, and also the ATC chat logs. I found when doing this it taught me to listen actively, and write down instructions VS cheating and looking at the text log. This way I will often call out the radio calls IRL, and then the default ATC will answer me back. :)

That's just what I use and some tips I've found over the years.>>

And that brings me back to FU3 ATC. It's very clever how it's built. With voices chunks, wav files, put together.

Edited by patrikmore

Hello again,

many thanks for your answer dear friends Chris, Naji and patrikmore.

I really have not expected that bandwith of difference in this small "team" here. But all "heavy sims" on the market seem to be acceptable in quality and usability. Each of them has his weak points, pro/contra points. And what I think: the difference in flight realism and "feeling it would be realistic" is getting much narrower nowadays between them than in the generation FU3.
I for me decided and bought X-plane 11 - moderate price, much flexibility to the hardware needs, not to resource hungry and very nice to look at really acceptable realism. Inbetween I've tried it on both of my operating sytems linux and win7-64 - it runs really smooth and the realism and behavior is really nice. As patrikmore said the ATC is not that nice to hear than in our old beloved FU3 - but may be there are also some improvements I could find around. Really nice I find the pushback request - it docks on and bring you to the taxi ways from parking places and all this nice details around. Also some really crazy effects in AI planes I have seen once (as usual and also in FU3 some things to find in history - until Chris lay's his golden hands on):

A big Antonow shifting sidewards in 45 degree angle to its length axle over the taxiway to grass land with smoking tires...looks a bit unreal. 🥴

Chris, your P3Dv4.5 sounds nearly as most professional equipment around. May not to top at the moment in realism over great britain?
Naji, your answer to FS2020 is also my thinking of it. But for me my actual hardware is not fullfilling the nice experience to buy and test it. But I keep it in my mind and the scenery seems really nice made by microsoft here. What impressed me is that they seems to have learned also that the realism is much more important than it was for MS in the old past history. I'm only a bit worried that such an sim has not enough friends, or should I say "gamers" around the world to buy it in the needed number of sales. The mass of game users are normaly (or often) not willing to wait that long time for loading of scenery, sim modelling, AI-program etc. - as we as flight enthusiasts would spend to get the "real flight feeling" in our head. That can be a problem to bring all the needed power in the programming to realise al it, do the needed bug fixes and so on. As we know this is (I think) the reason why FU3 was died finaly. The ROI was not high enough for LG to bring the money back they invested in creating+testing it - alos if it was years ahead the others.
But now I take a look to a nice flight plan, start my engines and will see you hopefully in the skies around, with a big smile on your face behind the clouds and I will wink you in your cockpit.

Nice greetings

Ansgar

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In FS2020, when I am near cities, I use Low settings, and as soon as I move away, I bump the settings to High. Low settings are a pleasure to fly with though. It should run great on any average system.

The loading time has been cut greatly. If you wish to fly the airliners, better to wait for more fixes, but if you like GA like I do, don't delay getting this fabulous sim. 

I'm the kind of people who likes sims for the sake of taking-off and landing. These days I choose an airport not too crowded, and I practice patterns, or if not, I do a short trip, Olimpia - Sanderson, for example. Without ILS or NAV "to learn" the plane driving. I've just achieved to beat the Beechjet (before addressing the 747), in fact very reliable. Auto-throttle to 120 knots on final, and flaps activated. Heading and descent, manual. Disconnect autopilot when reaching the runway, activate speed-brakes, and look at throttle must be 60%. Is it right? (Of course reverse thrusts when on ground). Use radio all the time, in fact is radio who is talking to me, not the opposite. I agree and confirm, physics, rain or light in general are astonishing in FU3. And visually, I'm at the top with my settings-tweaking (thanks Naji for Reshade tip).

Very nice screenshot, patrikmore, with the raw look of FU3 that we love. Thanks for sharing.

There isn't a single cloud in the sky! I always fly with a very busy sky, especially menacing ones 🙂.

While in FU3, I spend as much time experimenting in the Weather Page as I spend in flight hehe.