Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

How to combine repaints with Community mods?

14 minutes ago, yurei said:

The use of the MSFSLayoutGenerator is astoundingly simple though not very intuitive. With file explorer open so you can see both the original layout.json and the MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe file, put the mouse pointer on the original layout.json file.

Hold the left mouse button down, and drag (without letting off the left mouse key) the layout.json file ON TOP OF the MSFSGenerator.exe file. When over top the .exe file, let off the left mouse button.

The program will automagically run and rebuild the layout.json in the original layout.json location (overwriting the one that was originally there).

PS, you can also use the MSFSLayoutGenerator with command line arguments. See it's documentation.

That's what I did. I just dropped the edited .json file right into the MSFSGenerator.exe A black window flashes and its done. Thanks!

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Final piece of info. If you want the proper description change ui type:

ui_type = "Bonanza G36 Turbo" ; e.g. 747-400, 172

DQ52M8E.jpg

5i3TadD.png

Thanks for the detailed explanations. I can't get it to work though. I am trying to a add a livery to the X-Cub performance.

I first need to add the entry for the new livery in the aircraft.cfg, that should be the one in the mod folder, right?

Then I need to copy the Texture folder from the desired livery to the aircraft folder. However, contrary to the Bonanza v2 there are no Texture folders in the X-Cub mod folder. Do I still have to add it there?

Finally, the json file, I assume I need to add all texture related entries from the json file which comes with the livery into the json file of the mod X-Cub. Then drag it to the LayoutGenerator.

I did the above but the livery does not show up.

Any idea of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks again.  

Hans

I now have 18 Liveries for the G36 Turbo by Rob.

8lpABvd.jpg

1 hour ago, hjsmuc said:

Thanks for the detailed explanations. I can't get it to work though. I am trying to a add a livery to the X-Cub performance.

I first need to add the entry for the new livery in the aircraft.cfg, that should be the one in the mod folder, right?

Then I need to copy the Texture folder from the desired livery to the aircraft folder. However, contrary to the Bonanza v2 there are no Texture folders in the X-Cub mod folder. Do I still have to add it there?

Finally, the json file, I assume I need to add all texture related entries from the json file which comes with the livery into the json file of the mod X-Cub. Then drag it to the LayoutGenerator.

I did the above but the livery does not show up.

Any idea of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks again.  

The texture & aircraft.cfg entry should be on the downloaded livery. Copy texture folder only and not entire folder.

The layout.json is also in the downloaded livery. Copy only the texture info and nothing else.

Then drop the saved .json edited file into the MSFSGenerator.exe. A black window flashes and it's done.

Example of the last 3 liveries on aircraft.cfg:

[FLTSIM.16]
title = "Bonanza G36 Turbo Red" ; Variation name
model = "" ; model folder
panel = "" ; panel folder
sound = "" ; sound folder
texture = "RED" ; texture folder
kb_checklists = "" ; Procedures/Checklist sibling file name
kb_reference = "" ; Reference information sibling file name
description = "TT:AIRCRAFT.DESCRIPTION" ; Variation description.
wip_indicator = 0 ; know if the variation is good to go or still WIP : -1=Disabled, 0=Rough, 1=1st Pass, 2=Finished
ui_manufacturer = "TT:AIRCRAFT.UI_MANUFACTURER" ; e.g. Boeing, Cessna
ui_variation = "Red" ; e.g. World Air, IFR Panel
ui_typerole = "Single Engine Prop" ; e.g. Single Engine Prop, Twin Engine Prop, Rotorcraft, etc
ui_createdby = "Asobo Studio" ; e.g. Asobo Studio, Microsoft, FSAddonCompany, etc
ui_thumbnailfile = "" ; app relative path to ThumbNail image file
ui_certified_ceiling = 18500 ; service ceiling / max certified operating altitude (ft)
ui_max_range = 920 ; max distance the aircraft can fly between take-off and landing in (NM)
ui_autonomy = 6 ; max duration the aircraft can fly between take-off and landing in (Hrs)
ui_fuel_burn_rate = 100 ; average fuel consumption per hour (lbs/hr) - reminder: fuel density is ~6.7lbs per US gallon
atc_id = "N136GF" ; tail number
atc_id_enable = 1 ; enable tail number
atc_airline = "" ; airline name
atc_flight_number = "" ; flight number
atc_heavy = 0 ; heavy?
atc_parking_types = "RAMP" ; "ANY" / "RAMP" / "CARGO" / "MIL_CARGO" / "MIL_COMBAT" / "GATE" / "DOCK"
atc_parking_codes = "" ; Comma separated and may be as small as one character each
atc_id_color = "" ; color for the tail number : i.e. "#ffff00ff"
atc_id_font = "" ; font for the tail number
isAirTraffic = 0 ; Is the plane usable for air traffic
isUserSelectable = 1 ; Is the plane selectable by the user

[FLTSIM.17]
title = "Bonanza G36 Turbo Blue" ; Variation name
texture = "BLUE" ; texture folder
wip_indicator = 0 ; know if the variation is good to go or still WIP : -1=Disabled, 0=Rough, 1=1st Pass, 2=Finished
ui_variation = "Blue" ; e.g. World Air, IFR Panel
ui_typerole = "Single Engine Prop" ; e.g. Single Engine Prop, Twin Engine Prop, Rotorcraft, etc
ui_createdby = "Asobo Studio" ; e.g. Asobo Studio, Microsoft, FSAddonCompany, etc
ui_certified_ceiling = 18500 ; service ceiling / max certified operating altitude (ft)
ui_max_range = 920 ; max distance the aircraft can fly between take-off and landing in (NM)
ui_autonomy = 6 ; max duration the aircraft can fly between take-off and landing in (Hrs)
ui_fuel_burn_rate = 100 ; average fuel consumption per hour (lbs/hr) - reminder: fuel density is ~6.7lbs per US gallon
atc_heavy = 0 ; heavy?
atc_parking_types = "RAMP" ; "ANY" / "RAMP" / "CARGO" / "MIL_CARGO" / "MIL_COMBAT" / "GATE" / "DOCK"
atc_parking_codes = "" ; Comma separated and may be as small as one character each

[FLTSIM.18]
title = "Bonanza G36 Turbo Gray" ; Variation name
texture = "GRAY" ; texture folder
ui_variation = "Gray" ; e.g. World Air, IFR Panel
atc_heavy = 0 ; heavy?

layout.json file entry:

start copy
    {
      "path": "SimObjects/Airplanes/Asobo_Bonanza_G36/TEXTURE.RED/AIRSPEEDINDICATOR_C172_ALBD.PNG.DDS",
      "size": 2796344,
      "date": 132400238465371728
    },
End copy
    {
      "path": "SimObjects/Airplanes/Asobo_Bonanza_G36/TEXTURE.GRAY/thumbnail_small.JPG",
      "size": 35414,
      "date": 132270120840000000
    }

I had to edit info because avsim mods don't want all that info displayed. I hope you get what I mean.

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I hope you get what I mean.

Thanks a lot, I think I have an idea where I made an error. Will try again. 

Hans

4 minutes ago, DJJose said:

The texture & aircraft.cfg entry should be on the downloaded livery. Copy texture folder only and not entire folder.

The layout.json is also in the downloaded livery. Copy only the texture info and nothing else.

Then droped the saved .json edited file into the MSFSGenerator.exe. A black window flashes and it's done.

Thanks for summarizing!!

1 minute ago, yurei said:

Thanks for summarizing!!

THANK YOU! If it wasn't for you & Rob, I would have not been able to figure it out.

• Like 1

Oh actually I had it working at this post (I just forgot to delete the standalone livery - which was conflicting with the new mod)

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Wait, I don't get it. If I mod a plane, then install an addon livery, that livery will only show up with the unmodded version???

Just now, Ricardo41 said:

Wait, I don't get it. If I mod a plane, then install an addon livery, that livery will only show up with the unmodded version???

Depending on the mod, the mod might not show up at all. You need to first remove the liveries, then test. Then see if the liveries work. If not, you need to add them to the mod as per this thread.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Depending on the mod, the mod might not show up at all. You need to first remove the liveries, then test. Then see if the liveries work. If not, you need to add them to the mod as per this thread.

As a peripheral comment....I like the way the community folder works but conflicting mods are the inevitable result. Not sure there will be a way to prevent it without devs working together or users working it out on a per mod-by-mod basis.

• Like 1

It is quite fiddly and even one comma out of place will mean the addon will not show. Every line in both the layout.json file and the aircraft.cfg entry has to be perfect. I know how frustrating it can be! I think this is going to be a world-wide frustration which no doubt will be overcome soon by some bright spark creating an addon manager app or similar, or perhaps even Asobo might consider a livery manager?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

25 minutes ago, DJJose said:

you need to add them to the mod as per this thread.

If the mod has no aircraft.cfg file, like the CJ4 mod, would we then have to modify the default aircraft files if a livery doesn't show up? I have a couple of liveries now for both the X-Cub and the CJ4 which I just put into my Community folder. I have the impression that some liveries just don't work, even if they are for a default aircraft. In this case they would not work for the mod either, I believe. 

• Like 1

Hans