Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimhetzer

Anyone Figured Out How To Stop Hesitations?

Guest abulaafia

Thanks for your suggestios. I've used avast for a long time, it's the best there is no doubt. I have exempted my fs drive from scanning, and even without the scanner running I get these pauses. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 3.3MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"author of http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?FileName=bbgrfs.zipscreens on http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/abulaafia/

Guest abulaafia

I don't think its quite the same.It's not a second-long pause, its more like a pulse: every 2-3 seconds there is a short stutter, a gap in the contrails - looks very much like CPU cycle problem, but I can't find the culprit. I have the same problem on both my PCs by the way, and I do believe its an FSX issue. It only starts above 20'000 feet during daylight. It never occurs during night flights (with night textures loaded ). Sim's completely smooth then - the higher workload of loading daytime textures might have something to do with it. But the stutters are there even with all sliders to the left. ?!?==Marten:Weber==P-D920 3.3MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"author of http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?FileName=bbgrfs.zipscreens on http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/abulaafia/

Guest abulaafia

Well, installed the new ATI drivers dated 21 Feb last night and all my problems are gone. Hooray! Flight now smooth, textures load better too, no blurries on my control flight. It's amazing what a difference drivers make. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 3.3MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"author of http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?FileName=bbgrfs.zipscreens on http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/abulaafia/

Guest fundies

The only way I have found to run without micro stutters is to turn off autogen. Please Please fix this problem SP1.Pentium D945 dual core @3.7ghz, 512mb 7900gs, 2gb ram, XP.

I just want to add my experience to the stuttering / hesistation issue here.First, my usual FSX setup is to run spanned displays @ 3360x1050 in windowed mode. I have a variety of settings that I use, depending on where I am and how the weather is at the time, and I generally set things up so I get 25 FPS pegged most of the time at this FPS lock. Recently this have involved flying the default DC-3 in lower Western Canada, and I have been able to achieve my desired frame rate with the following settings:- graphics set to global high, except in game AA/AF on, FPS lock at 25- aircraft set to global high (which is the same as ultra high)- scenery to high, except autogen turned down to sparse, water down to low 2.x- weather set to global high- AI traffic set to 100% with imported UT 2004 traffic from FS9These settings give me higher FPS and better smoothness than what FSX defaults to overall for my computer, with water and autogen being the main reason for improvement, so I don't think I am suffering from slideritis ;-) The symptoms are that everthing will start out nice and smooth, even if the FPS dips into the low teens at a medium sized airport like Calgary, the smoothness gradually degrades into a stuttery slide show when changing views, especially panning around the VC using TrackIR. In fact, it basically reduces my field of view to about a 30 degree cone along where I am currently looking, otherwise the sim pauses for 1/2 second or so as it reloads textures from outside this area. Once it gets into stuttery mode, I cannot recover it, even if I move a whole bunch of sliders down and get 50 FPS+ or save and reload the situation. The only fix is to restart the sim completely.I am still trying to work out what triggers the degrade. At first I though it was a time related issue, but it turns out if I stay where I am the problem never eventuates. Then I thought it could be something relating to new scenery objects being loaded and perhaps old ones not being discarded. Looking at video RAM usage, I am not going over 320MB out 512M video memory (according to memstatus), so I shouldn't be running out of video memory. The best correlation I can find is when I have traversed a certain amount of clouds, whether they be lots of clouds over a short distance or scattered clouds over a longer distance, but even then I am not too sure that is it.Whilst I have a reasonable specced machine, the most obvious potential flaws in my setup are the super high res that I use and running 100% traffic. Re the high res, I have found thar I get stutters whether I run the sim half screen size on one monitor (with the other disabled) or stretch it out across both, so I don't think that is it. And with 100% traffic I have found that Western Canada has pretty sparse traffice as it is, and FSX has much less parking compared to what I get with FS9. AISmooth is usually reporting less than 10 aircraft in the area when I get issues, and turning AI aircraft off makes no difference.Other things I have tried to no avail are:- different settings of FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION- different settings of TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT- different settings of PoolSize- running my hardware a stock (non-overclocked) settings- using FSAutostart to shut down every unnecessary process, program and task bar applets (including antivirus).- running without addons like AISmooth or Activesky 6.5- running without TrackIR- different video drivers- AA/AF offIt is very frustrating because I have had some of the best FS experiences I have ever had using FSX, when this issue doesn't haunt me, but the very next flight can turn into a stuttery annoyance. Dare I say, I do not have any such problem with FS9 at all. Any other suggestions for fault finding would be greatfully appreciated.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Gary,Is it mainly the lower western canada location that you get this?I can't remember if you are running the UT port or not. There is a know problem that others had identified with some of the coastline vectors. I had found a few HL files calling repeatedly over and over for a bogus effects file, and disabling them fixed the problem with causing FPS degregation (I never had OOM errors, just FPS hit). I had one specific HL917130b.bgl that I removed, and it fixed it for me. (it was corrupt when checking with tmfviewer.) I regulary fly the CYYC/CYEG/CYVR loop.I used filemon to track in down.Sound like you've being trying everything, but if this possibly applies to you, heres the link of the discussion:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=19466Garett

Garett,It happens anywhere, including Berlin where I was flying yesterday afternoon.Re UT, I was actually referring to Ulimate Traffic not Ultimate Terrain, hence I don't think it would be the issue you linked me to (thanks anyway!). I have run filemon as this is happening, and apart from FSX's obsession with checking FSUIPC.ini many many times a second (which it also does when the problem is not ocurring), there is nothing else out of the normal.In any case, the process of writing down my issue here and the steps I've taken to try and solve it has been quite therapeutic in that I now see that I should go back to scratch and see if the problem occurs with a stock FSX install, with a before and after defrag for good measure. If the stutter goes away after my resintall, I will slowly add back my addons and tweaks and see which one is causing the problem.I'll report back on my findings as I go.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

"apart from FSX's obsession with checking FSUIPC.ini many many times a second"LOL - I had to set filemon to EXCEPT fsuipc, or the just logfile being generated by filemon was causing FSX frame degregation itself :( !!Good Luck - Thankfully I don't have the studder problem in FSX "as I knock on my wood desk" but I'm a sure it will rear its ugly head at some point.Garett

I have the same exact problem. Flights will start out fine, but nearing the destination during the descent the cockpit panning becomes extremely stuttery when panning. I can hold the pan turning round and round and it smooths out, but after about 20 seconds the stutters return. I have noticed that if I look down and pan it is fine, only looking out the cockpit windows does it seem to happen. After landing I do not have any problems. I'm wondering if this is an autogen issue as it seems to occur during descent and the autogen comes back into view? I'll have to try turning of autogen when the probloem occurs and see if that helps.I hope there is a solution. Ian.

Guest baksteen33

Gary, this might sound silly and is just spontaneous thought, but could it be 'power saving' that's obstructing if you can't recover? I ask because I also see that occasional slowdown but always recover. As you probably know, there seems to be a problem with multicores and power-state switching under winXP. Hope this adds to thoughts, good luck and kind regards Jaap

Well I did my fresh install of FSX and, whilst it took a little longer this time (about 2 hrs) the stuttering definitely came back and was only resolved by a restart of FSX. So this is without a single tweak or addon to the stock install.Having said that, I am starting to suspect a video card memory overheating issue. The reason for my suspicion is that previous versions of FS could get quite stressed running 3D across two displays (there is an article on Tom's Hardware site that show bad artifacting on a dual display setup in FS IIRC). Whilst FSX is still mostly CPU bound, there are the few ocassions when I can reduce the screen res from two full screens to one and the FPS instantly doubles (this never happens in FS9), suggesting the video card is playing hard at that time. Perhaps FSX is tipping my video card memory over the edge?To test this theory, I first switched back to dual screen and ran FSX 3D on one monitor only - no problems for a few hours. I then went back to spanned mode and downclocked my video card to about 60% of my existing core and memory settings, and flew the sim for about four hours with no stuttering occurring at all. I then returned it to stock GTO speeds and had another successful 2 hour transit. Whilst the engineer in me says don't too excited yet, it is looking pretty promising so far (until I make this post I suspect :-lol)I am going to be away for the next two weeks, so I won't get much further in my investigation, but at least I have a thread of hope here! In all my years of overclocking, I have never seen a video card problem manifest itself in this way (ie. usually you get artifacts or lockups if you push things too hard, not stutters!), but I am willing to learn for this one.GaryPS Mods, please don't boot this to the hardware forum neverlands because I have mentioned a possible hardware link to this issue. Not only may this not pan out to be a hardware issue but there are others experiencing this too who's issue may have nothing to do with hardware. Also, apart from a few of us regulars there, a thread move to the hardware forum can be like issuing a death sentence to an otherwise interesting thread to the FS masses ;-)

Jaap,I have checked this one out and have even installed the Win XP update to fix this problem, but it made no difference. Good suggestion though.Gary

Guest cit1991

Disabling the swapfile helped me.

Guest ajc

Could it be textures or swapfiles loading from your HD ?..... have a look at DiskTrix UltimateDefrag program.... set your FSX directory to the fastest area of your HD, the outside. There is a fully featured trial available for download at www.disktrix.com

Just had to chime in and let everyone know that I too am having this problem. On mine it is not a huge drag stutter, its almost like a tick, every 2-3 seconds that I can only notice during the day, looking at the ground go by. Smooth, smooth, smooth, tick, smooth, smooth, smooth, tick. Does not matter how much I turn the sliders down, or if autogen is on or off, same results. I cannot tell unless I look at the ground textures go by.I think someone else said this is what they are seeing, and I wanted you to know you are not the only one. Im running at 2.6 with 2 gigs of ram, and an ATI x800xl 256 meg with latest (feb 21) drivers, on win xp sp2 - fully updated - Nothing running in the backround, stripped gaming rig, fully defragged and prioritized Hard Drive placement. I have played with driver options, defragging, swap file, you name it ive done it. NOTHING has stopped it, therefore I must say that it is my opinion - its an FSX issue.hope this helps someonedanon -