Sign in to follow this  
newbert

Returning to Flight Simming - Need Advice

11 hours ago, newbert said:

How does the trial subscription work for a PC and FS2020?.  Could you provide a link?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-xbox-live-account-windows-10

Hope that helps. (I have an xbox one console so already have a live account via that).

The trial involves a small cost and I think it lasts for 14 days.

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

After that it will auto-renew for 14.99 per month I believe, so you may want to watch out for that.

Get the gamepass, download the sim. 

I don't have either (I buy my XBOX games outright or get the free ones via XBOX Live Gold annual subscription) but it should be straightforward...

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks for all the great advice offered here.......

But, TBH, I think that I'd prefer to just purchase/download the standard edition and go from there.  But....I have a few remaining questions:

1.  Will I need to set-up a Microsoft account in order to get FS2020 to work on my Windows 10 PC?  (I hate signing up for accounts.)

2.  I don't have a joystick yet - I'm leaning towards the TM Airbus edition, but currently can't find it anywhere.  Is it available yet in the US?  If so, where?  And would anyone have a link?

3.  And, is it possible (albeit probably awkward, of course) to control FS2020 with just a mouse and keyboard for now until I'm able to get that joystick?

Remember, I'm just happy to cruise around leisurely and enjoy the scenery.  Not ready for any fancy flight maneuvers yet (and probably won't ever be).

Thanks again!

1) I think so.Besides that account will probably allow you to use the ms marketplace if you wish to purchase add-ons at a later date.

2) No idea - my brief search didn't come up with any in stock.. apart from stupid money on amazon 400+ for the stick and quadrant combo??? SCALPERS!!

3) No idea. I believe some members use keyboard and mouse to fly, but not sure if that's on fs2020

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1) Yes, you definitely need a MS account.  You will have unlimited usage/installs using it, though.

2) I got my Airbus stick for $150 off eBay.  Twice the MSRP but I didn't want to wait any longer LOL.  I am very happy with it and can recommend it if you need a flight stick.

3) Yes you can, although mouse as yoke isn't as supported as it was in FSX.  Check these videos out to give you an idea of how it might work.  It should hold you over.

https://youtu.be/WnLXglmZdHY

https://youtu.be/gisC6J0Sg5o

https://youtu.be/v45_fMJpF84

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

3 hours ago, newbert said:

I'm leaning towards the TM Airbus edition, but currently can't find it anywhere.  Is it available yet in the US?  If so, where?  And would anyone have a link?

Amazon Australia have them in stock (and the Throttle too)  for AUD119. The combination is AUD349.00. Both are Free delivery. I have not checked out any other Amazon stores.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, TextRich said:

1) Yes, you definitely need a MS account.  You will have unlimited usage/installs using it, though.

2) I got my Airbus stick for $150 off eBay.  Twice the MSRP but I didn't want to wait any longer LOL.  I am very happy with it and can recommend it if you need a flight stick.

3) Yes you can, although mouse as yoke isn't as supported as it was in FSX.  Check these videos out to give you an idea of how it might work.  It should hold you over.

https://youtu.be/WnLXglmZdHY

https://youtu.be/gisC6J0Sg5o

https://youtu.be/v45_fMJpF84

Thanks for the info!  

Regarding the MS Account - Would opening one up create any negative effects to my overall Win10 installation?  I don't use a password to boot the system up and don't want to start now.

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, newbert said:

Thanks for the info!  

Regarding the MS Account - Would opening one up create any negative effects to my overall Win10 installation?  I don't use a password to boot the system up and don't want to start now.

Thanks! 

Purchasing and installing MSFS using the Microsoft Store did not affect my Microsoft Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit in any way.  🙂  It will not affect your setup, either.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

4 hours ago, newbert said:

Thanks for the info!  

Thanks! 

I found that I had to reset my systems boot up ID to please Microsoft before I could install MSFS.  After that, no ill effects..

Bert

12 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I found that I had to reset my systems boot up ID to please Microsoft before I could install MSFS.  After that, no ill effects..

If that's the worst case, that's great.

But what exactly do you mean by "reset my systems boot up ID"?  Could you explain exactly what that involves?  (My system just boots to the desktop now -- I don't see any ID.)

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, newbert said:

But what exactly do you mean by "reset my systems boot up ID"?  Could you explain exactly what that involves?  (My system just boots to the desktop now -- I don't see any ID.)

Thanks!

MS complained that I was not starting up my PC via my MS account or something similar and gave me an option to "rectify my sins"..

I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and kept my original boot sequence.

Wish I could be more specific... now I have a PIN set and enter it after bootup. 

No biggie after you get used to it, and accept that you are not in command of your PC, but MS is.

Bert

58 minutes ago, newbert said:

Thanks!

This is an optional feature for Windows and can be disabled.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

MS complained that I was not starting up my PC via my MS account or something similar and gave me an option to "rectify my sins"..

Wish I could be more specific... now I have a PIN set and enter it after bootup. 

No biggie after you get used to it, and accept that you are not in command of your PC, but MS is.

Hmm I don't have to do any of that, I still boot to my desktop like I've always done.  I run the MS Store version of that sim, maybe that's why?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

The problem is that that is not something I'm willing to accept.

2 hours ago, TextRich said:

This is an optional feature for Windows and can be disabled.

Just in case I download FS2020 and encounter this ( ie- "reset my systems boot up ID"), how exactly would I disable it?

Thx!

4 hours ago, newbert said:

Just in case I download FS2020 and encounter this ( ie- "reset my systems boot up ID"), how exactly would I disable it?

Thx!

Your concern is unfounded, but here you go anyway.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-10-login-screen-on-startup/fda83de1-4fbd-40ae-bea0-677c6aad1a07?auth=1