Sign in to follow this  
cchiozza

Ground Wind Effect

Is there any way to turn down the ground wind effect? It is so annoying. Yes there should be some but at 10knots is almost unmanageable.

Chris Chiozza

3 hours ago, cchiozza said:

Is there any way to turn down the ground wind effect? It is so annoying. Yes there should be some but at 10knots is almost unmanageable.

Not experiencing it.  Not sure what to say.  What exactly are you experiencing?  Steering on takeoff roll?  Please provide more complete explanation. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

If the wind is say 10+ and in a GA plane it windmills into the wind which it should do "some" but this is over doing it on takeoff. And still having issues with over controlling as well and have tried to turn sensitivity but cant balance it. 

Edited by cchiozza

Chris Chiozza

I believe the OP refers to the completely unrealistic reaction to cross winds while in contact with ground and once your rolling speed get's above around 10 knot... maybe even a bit less...

Set a custom weather scenario and define a 70 knot wind from 3 or 9 o'clock, with your C172, or even a smaller GA, parked. Disengage the parking brake - the aircraft will stand still, like it would not IRL for sure... Now start taxiing rather slowly, say, bellow 8 knot... You will manage it... BUT, if instead you set a 10 knot or even a 5 knot crosswind and start taxiing at 12 knot or more, you'll have big difficulty controlling your aircraft...

It transitions between two "ground physics models", I believe, and when it get's to taxiing speeds, or takeoff / landing speeds, it's pretty much out of control, a LOT more than we complained about the same in X-Plane 11... Dealing with winds on ground turns out to be a delight now in X-Plane compared to MFS physics 😕

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have found while playing around with stupidly high crosswinds (like 50 knots gusting to 90 knots) the ground winds are actually tamer than expected.

The implementation is not consistent.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

2 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I have found while playing around with stupidly high crosswinds (like 50 knots gusting to 90 knots) the ground winds are actually tamer than expected.

The implementation is not consistent.

In some way it's ok, since reported winds in aviation are referrred to 10 m ( 30 ft ) measurements, and due to friction there's always a considerable gradient from there to the ground level...

Aircraft with high vertical stabs, the big airliners and so on do indeed get exposed to the values reported, but smaller ( GA ) aircraft usually experience a considerably lower actual wind speed.

This is also modeled in X-Plane, Aerofly FS 2, IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, DCS World, ... and it's correct.

In MFS even the effect of nearby structures ( not 100 % sure about it, but would be interesting to test with a wall in between the wind and teh aircraft ) can suposedly influence it too ( ? )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...