Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@cmpbellsjc, standard VAT is 20%. Not chargeable on food and other things like books (I think). Back in the 70s before VAT was introduced Purchase Tax was 25% on some luxury goods. VAT has been as low as 15%.

Consumer taxes seem very low in the US. Maybe you pay higher Income Taxes?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Actually, we have three rates of VAT here:

Standard rate 20% Most goods and services
Reduced rate 5% Some goods and services, eg children’s car seats and home energy
Zero rate 0% Zero-rated goods and services, eg most food and children’s clothes

Lawrence Hamilton

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own3_378x68.png

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@cmpbellsjc, standard VAT is 20%. Not chargeable on food and other things like books (I think). Back in the 70s before VAT was introduced Purchase Tax was 25% on some luxury goods. VAT has been as low as 15%.

Consumer taxes seem very low in the US. Maybe you pay higher Income Taxes?

Yeah those VAT rates are very high in the UK and Europe compared to our sales tax in the US.

As far as income tax in the US, it’s not that high unless you make over a few hundred thousand a year. I think the average is around. 25% or so. Some states also have a state income tax as well but the those rates are pretty low. I live in one of the two states that have no state income tax, Florida is the other.

I think the sales tax and income taxes are lower in the US compared to the UK and Europe because we don’t pay for a lot of social services like heath care and stuff like that. Probably the majority of tax goes to defense/military. I have a friend who lives in Rome and makes a slightly above average wage and I think he pays around 40% income tax plus the high VAT. No wonder why so many younger Europeans I meet want to come to the US, you make more money and keep more of it, unless you live in NYC, California or Seattle.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I think the sales tax and income taxes are lower in the US compared to the UK and Europe because we don’t pay for a lot of social services like heath care and stuff like that. Probably the majority of tax goes to defense/military.

And that's it in a nutshell. The UK budget for welfare and the NHS is huge but gives everyone a safety net should the worst happen. It's not perfect of course - what system is? Probably best not to go further as it is delving into politics.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I think the sales tax and income taxes are lower in the US compared to the UK and Europe because we don’t pay for a lot of social services like heath care and stuff like that. Probably the majority of tax goes to defense/military.

Common wisdom hey ? Common wisdom is wrong. Again.

Your federal government has planned to spend approximately $4.8 trillion in 2021. Ouch... Lotsa money. Where does it go ?

60% of that pays for mandated benefits such as Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. 

Discretionary spending, which pays for everything else, will be about $1.5 trillion which includes for about half of it military spending  (including HS, VA etc.) The DoD alone would be  a tad less than 700 B. 

Technically (I try to avoid politics here) the main fiscal problem the US has, is not Defense but the Entitlement social programs which have builtin growth mechanisms. You are not alone. France has the same kind of problem. On a smaller scale 😁.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

18 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I thought everyone in the CI was rich Martin? 😁 And of course as was made clear to me when I visited family in Jersey they are part of GB but are most definitely not in the U.K. 😉

Yep, Guernsey is a self governing British Crown Dependency but not part of the UK. 

As for all rich... sadly not me. I've been here a couple of months with my daughter. She has a permit to work here, so can rent or buy on the cheaper local property market. There's also the open property market that's open to any UK citizen whether you work here or not, and the prices are very high, more like London. There are lots of service workers here most definately not rich, quite a few very wealthy and far fewer in the middle like me and my daughter.

No NHS here, so medical insurance is a must. 

There's less regulation, low income tax and no VAT. Its very nice when you order something on Amazon and 20% is suddenly knocked off. 

I believe things work a bit diferantly in Jersey. 

6 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I believe things work a bit diferantly in Jersey. 

My late nephew moved to Jersey in 2014 and was required to pay a significant sum to live there as he wasn’t born there and wasn’t in employment. I suppose the better off have to help the economy. Beer prices weren’t too bad though. 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

23 hours ago, Sirotin said:

Dear colleagues, is there a Samsung Odyssey C32G75TQSI 32 "among the simmers who supplied the monitor. I would like to hear if it is good for a simulator. It's just that I've never had concave monitors. Sorry for the bad English.

Hello - You should post this over in the hardware forum. Maybe one of the Monitors can move it for you.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.