Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

KJFK 22R ILS a Little Off?

Any other little discrepancies between runways and ILS I should know about?

11 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

Any other little discrepancies between runways and ILS I should know about?

It's all in the chart. There's a 2.53 degree offset on the loc.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Huh. Learn something new every day. And I was looking at the chart and didn't notice it--in fact never heard of such a thing. So, now I'm curious. If you're below your minimums and can see it, then you you just fly it in at the end? Or is there something else I've never heard of? Explains this. Suppose 1970s technology is too sophisticated for me. (You might barely make out the threshold to the right of the nearer runway off to the left.) Old girl's smarter than me.

gegCtf.jpg

Edited by Tim_Capps

3 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

Huh. Learn something new every day. And I was looking at the chart and didn't notice it--in fact never heard of such a thing. So, now I'm curious. If you're below your minimums and can see it, then you you just fly it in at the end? Or is there something else I've never heard of?

Yep, just like a regular ILS, if you can see the lights at minimums you maneuver to align the a/c with the runway. The minimums are slightly higher than a standard CAT I approach and there's no provision for a CAT II or CAT III approach because of the offset. 

5 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

there's no provision for a CAT II or CAT III approach

I blame the controller. He should never have told me to use that runway with such poor conditions ,-) And THAT's why I made the right career choice.

Just FYI -- there are offsets with RNAV/GPS approaches also.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I’ve flown the 22R ILS down to just above CAT1 minima with a strong crosswind from the right at night in the 747 for real. An experience best described as challenging and best avoided.

It’s not the longest runway for a 74 either with its displaced threshold.

As far as I know the offsets on the approaches for this runway are just down to noise abatement, the departure off the 04s has an early right turn for the same reason.

There are some very big houses below you on the way into the 22s so they must be occupied by some very influential people to get those approaches offset 

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

13 hours ago, jon b said:

As far as I know the offsets on the approaches for this runway are just down to noise abatement, the departure off the 04s has an early right turn for the same reason.

There are some very big houses below you on the way into the 22s so they must be occupied by some very influential people to get those approaches offset 

As well as the people in the  Hamptons I was told in IOCC 😁

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

On 11/30/2020 at 12:36 PM, jon b said:

I’ve flown the 22R ILS down to just above CAT1 minima with a strong crosswind from the right at night in the 747 for real. An experience best described as challenging and best avoided.

It’s not the longest runway for a 74 either with its displaced threshold.

Really, and you believe that? Sounds like internet rubbish.

Have a look at JFK on Google Earth and note that the far end of 22R (04L threshold) where the localizer antenna for ILS22R should be located is wetlands.  Rather than destroy another acre of wetland the localizer antenna was placed near the intersection of 22R/31L on the first available dry land suitable for antenna structure and transmitter shed.  This is the only reason the localizer is offset.

Dan Downs KCRP

That would make more sense, it’s fallen into aviation folklore it’s for noise abatement so that’s what I was told many years ago and it stuck.

whatever the reason the offset approach is a pain in a large jet, in fact it’s only one of many issues with operating into JFK to be honest.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.