Sign in to follow this  
dbw1

Removal and re-install of MSFS2020

I have an issue with uninstall. I last run MSFS 24 hrs ago the today it wouldn't run, after clicking the icon I got nothing. I decided to try and REPAIR it, that didn't work after waiting what seemed like ages, I then tried RESET same result. So I decided the only way was to uninstall and that  didn't seem to work, after a re-boot I noticed that I could reinstall the digital one and that says 'installing' but that been running for well over an hour andmy download speed is 100. Any advice please.

There are more than a few people having problems if you look around various forums. Some are giving up on it and I am just about there myself. I'm doing one more download and then it's time to write off this irrecoverable situation and go back to something that works like XPlane/P3dV5. In Canadian dollars including multiple scenery purchases for my premium deluxe that will be kissing good buy to +/- $400 Cdn.

1 minute ago, dbw1 said:

it's time to write off this irrecoverable situation

Mate, This is NOT an irrecoverable situation. As you say, a lot of people have suffered this but if you look a little deeper, most, if not all, are still using MSFS and enjoying it.  Of course, going back to P3D or XPlane is and will remain an option.

My suggestion .... Go forth and enjoy a couple of flights in either or both of those platforms .... work off your understandable frustration and then come back for a further attempt.  A little perseverance and patience and, I am sure you will come out the winner. 

Just do not delete your backed up Community folder as you will definitely require that when or if you get back to reinstalling it. Also do not forget to go to your Profile/Content Manager and update all, after you install/restore community folder(including reinstall of any of your modded aircraft) See my earlier comment ... reinstall of modded aircraft may NOT be required in your case.

At this stage, if you do not persist, I wish you well with your alternate options.

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

1 hour ago, dbw1 said:

There are more than a few people having problems if you look around various forums. Some are giving up on it and I am just about there myself. I'm doing one more download and then it's time to write off this irrecoverable situation and go back to something that works like XPlane/P3dV5. In Canadian dollars including multiple scenery purchases for my premium deluxe that will be kissing good buy to +/- $400 Cdn.

Did you see the answer to your two aircraft issue? THAT is normal now after some updates or reinstalls. All you have to do is go to the content manager and complete the reinstall by downloading the missing aircraft.

• Like 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Did you see the answer to your two aircraft issue? THAT is normal now after some updates or reinstalls. All you have to do is go to the content manager and complete the reinstall by downloading the missing aircraft.

Other than the cessna and the tbm there was nothing else in the content manager.

1 minute ago, dbw1 said:

Other than the cessna and the tbm there was nothing else in the content manager.

If there was nothing there to download, then your install failed. I misswd it, is this Steam or MS Store? You might try redownload or update through the store.  FWIW, when I reinstall, I start in the store, I download about 107G of data. When that's done, I start the sim and immediately go to the content manager and download another 86G of aircraft, cities, airports, etc. When THAT'S done, it is installed.

You might try the repair install, NOT reset - that may replace the missing core files.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Greetings. I purchased from the MS Store.

I started another download to install this afternoon. It stopped at 11 gigs. I had previously removed the entire install after its failure again.

I have just started another full download...... Let's see where this one goes. 

10 minutes ago, dbw1 said:

Greetings. I purchased from the MS Store.

I started another download to install this afternoon. It stopped at 11 gigs. I had previously removed the entire install after its failure again.

I have just started another full download...... Let's see where this one goes. 

I had a similar issue to yours after a reset of the sim, if i remember correctly i had to download and reinstall the digital license again in the store.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

10 hours ago, dbw1 said:

I can't even get it to uninstall let alone download it again, really frustrating and support it's much help, I'm still for their tech people to ge back in touch.

Hi,

my contribution is directed primarilly to those with the DVD versions.

I own MFS Standard DVD ( Aerosoft ). Made a backup of the 10 DVDs and I have the ISOs in a couple of external disks.

1) Install process is really quick, even with an older USB3 connection to the external disk;

2) after the install is complete, made to the folder with the same default name suggested by MFS install - "MSFSPackages" - the process continues with a login

to the Microsoft Store, and I proceed with the install of the "minimal kernel" which goes into my "C:" drive and occupies around 1GB. The main install is on drive "F:" in my case.

3) After the install is complete, and before I start MFS for the first time, which will trigger the full content download, I delete the created "MFSPackages" and copy the backup

of that folder from a few version ago. When the backup is restored...

4) I start MFS ofr the 1st time after the new install, it syncs, and then it goes and downloads ususally not more than 10 GB.

--> After starting usually I only see the Cub as the single available aircraft in my virtual hangar. No big deal ! Simply enter the "CONTENT MANAGER" and click all other items which appear as available. It will download around 1,7 GB and... it's done!

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

This last download was the charm. Did a quick flight with the TBM. Next will be to move my saved community folder items to the new install.

Very much appreciate the suggestions and encouragement. Glad I did not walk away from this sim.

I will follow up with another report when I get more scenery installed.

Many thanks to all.

Dave

should be straitforward from here mate. Just restore your comm7u8nity folder .... go to Profile/Content Manager .... update all ... check your modded aircraft and if they perform as expected you are good to go.  If modded aircraft don't work as expected, simply reinstall the mods (not the aircraft) and, make sure you delete the mods before the reinstall.

I am very happy for you and I am sure the community will agree with me.

Cheers mate

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.