Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

Need help with choosing a vr headset

Hi guys,

as the title suggests looking for the first time ever to get into VR just for FS2020. Ive heard once you go VR you'll never go back to a 2D screen. could somebody with VR back that up please.

So far my limited knowledge only knows of a company called oculus, don't little research today to find the quest 2 and rift s. would these work great with fs2020?

i would love your opinions as to what you guys thing is the best route here.

many thanks.

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

It depends a lot how powerful your system is and how much you are prepared to spend.

Oculus Quest 2 is nice, but its main attractive is that is a stand-alone unit that can work with no PC wirelessly but maybe as a Flight sim user you might not interested in this ( it has its own set of games ). It CAN use any game that runs on other Oculus product, because with an USB connection it can be converted into basically an Rift S. There is some performance cost in doing this, but I can't say how much would affect MSFS 2020.

The Rift S is probably a better choice for PC-only gaming and it's probably a good compromise between price and resolution.

The HP Reverb G2 is arguably one of the best VR headsets around, and it seems Asobo/MS took it as a reference hardware to add VR in MSFS 2020. It's has the highest resolution in the consumer market, which comes at a cost of higher hardware requirements, I'd say something like a 2080Ti is the bare minimum to use it at its full res.

Note that, I currently own an original Oculus Rift since it came out, and I'm waiting for my Reverb G2 preorder to arrive.

And while VR is surely a lot of fun, I don't agree you won't ever go back to 2D again: the biggest issue is the lack of a standardized hand tracking system that allows to interact with the cockpit in a intuitive way. MSFS 2020 in VR won't support any VR controllers, at least not at launch.

The closest I got to a real lifelike experience in VR, was with the Leap Motion controller mounted with an homemade 3d printed support in front of the headset, using the FlyInside plugin for P3D. It could track both hands and fingers very nicely, and with FlyInside, you had full access to the sim menus, with no need to go back in 2D even when using the menus. Unfortunately, the FlyInside developer decided the create his own simulator, which is nice from a VR point of view, but not very good as a sim, so the FlyInside plugin for P3D has been basically abandoned. And, it was somewhat cumbersome to setup.

My ideal VR headset would be one with an integrated Leapmotion ( or a similar finger tracking system ), so it wouldn't need any controllers. There are some, but in the professional market. And of course, it would be nice if the sim could support hand and finger tracking by default.

Edited by virtuali

1 hour ago, virtuali said:

It depends a lot how powerful your system is and how much you are prepared to spend.

Oculus Quest 2 is nice, but its main attractive is that is a stand-alone unit that can work with no PC wirelessly but maybe as a Flight sim user you might not interested in this ( it has its own set of games ). It CAN use any game that runs on other Oculus product, because with an USB connection it can be converted into basically an Rift S. There is some performance cost in doing this, but I can't say how much would affect MSFS 2020.

The Rift S is probably a better choice for PC-only gaming and it's probably a good compromise between price and resolution.

The HP Reverb G2 is arguably one of the best VR headsets around, and it seems Asobo/MS took it as a reference hardware to add VR in MSFS 2020. It's has the highest resolution in the consumer market, which comes at a cost of higher hardware requirements, I'd say something like a 2080Ti is the bare minimum to use it at its full res.

Note that, I currently own an original Oculus Rift since it came out, and I'm waiting for my Reverb G2 preorder to arrive.

And while VR is surely a lot of fun, I don't agree you won't ever go back to 2D again: the biggest issue is the lack of a standardized hand tracking system that allows to interact with the cockpit in a intuitive way. MSFS 2020 in VR won't support any VR controllers, at least not at launch.

The closest I got to a real lifelike experience in VR, was with the Leap Motion controller mounted with an homemade 3d printed support in front of the headset, using the FlyInside plugin for P3D. It could track both hands and fingers very nicely, and with FlyInside, you had full access to the sim menus, with no need to go back in 2D even when using the menus. Unfortunately, the FlyInside developer decided the create his own simulator, which is nice from a VR point of view, but not very good as a sim, so the FlyInside plugin for P3D has been basically abandoned. And, it was somewhat cumbersome to setup.

My ideal VR headset would be one with an integrated Leapmotion ( or a similar finger tracking system ), so it wouldn't need any controllers. There are some, but in the professional market. And of course, it would be nice if the sim could support hand and finger tracking by default.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the G2 is a little out my price range. I have a opportunity to get a rift s for around 150GBP used. the quest 2 for the standard price of 299.

what would  you recommend?.

My specs are a i7 10700k

1070ti - upgrading to a 3080 20gb when its out,

16gb ram.

I'm not looking to crazy quality tbh, I'm running fs2020 on 1080p and happy with that. will i at least be able to see the screens and numbers on the pfd or mfd with the rift s or is it all blurry or barely readable.

many thanks.

2 minutes ago, ziher said:

I can back up the part about never going back to flatscreen:)

what headset you using please

I’ve just converted to Reverb G2 from the Pimax 5K plus. More for the comfort factor and increased clarity. I love the G2, a d now selling my Pimax on eBay. 

Keith Sandford.

I couldn't go back to small FOV of G2, waiting now for a reasonably priced headset with 4K res and at least 140 deg FOV before upgrading.

23 minutes ago, Bilal2104 said:

Is the rift s any good? thinking of biting the bullet right now

As a first headset yes. It will give you idea of what VR is about and how much money you are willing to spend on it in the future.

13 hours ago, Bilal2104 said:

Is the rift s any good? thinking of biting the bullet right now

Yes, I think you can't go wrong with it, especially if you can get it for a good price. VR is very subjective, some people can use it for hours with no issues, others find it stressful and others can't even play for more than a certain amount of time without getting nausea. It's changes at lot depending on the game, the fps and your own sensitivity to it.

Also, do you happen to wear glasses ? Depend on their size (and the size of your face too ) and the headset model, you *might* be able or not to keep them on while wearing the headset. If they don't fit, you'll have to buy adapter lenses, which are customized with your prescription, and they almost invariably change between different models so, if you got yourself a customized prescription adapter that work with, let's say, the Oculus Rift S, it won't work with a G2, and you can't even sell it, because it's custom made for you.

Bilal2104  - If you can hangon a couple of days, you should see some reports of how the various headsets perform. 

I'll be viewing the 3d world from my fly screen quest v1 cockpit till my Reverb G2 order arrives and will report back. 

On 12/19/2020 at 2:37 PM, Bilal2104 said:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the G2 is a little out my price range. I have a opportunity to get a rift s for around 150GBP used. the quest 2 for the standard price of 299.

what would  you recommend?.

My specs are a i7 10700k

1070ti - upgrading to a 3080 20gb when its out,

16gb ram.

I'm not looking to crazy quality tbh, I'm running fs2020 on 1080p and happy with that. will i at least be able to see the screens and numbers on the pfd or mfd with the rift s or is it all blurry or barely readable.

many thanks.

you need more RAM,

i regularly  use 33G of my 64G with an i7-10700K

and 13G of my 24G 3090 under a Reverb G2 (P3DV5 until tomorrow)