Sign in to follow this  
ptr1959w

How many of you guys are real life pilots?

6 minutes ago, ptr1959w said:

Hi there, I would really like to fly as a career but I  wouldn't be able to pass the medical exam , due to having diabetes and having not great eyesight.I am in the United States, Florida. I appreciated all the feedback.

The important thing with diabetes is insulin dependence, if I'm not mistaken. If you're non-insulin dependent you can still be certified. And vision only has to be correctable to 20/20, ie with glasses. 

5 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I'm a 68 year old retiree and have often toyed with the idea of just taking a few lessons for the experience of it with no goal of getting a license. With the meds I take for various ills of the aged I , probably couldn't pass the physical anyway. I guess I'M afraid no FBO would want to waste their time on me knowing I'm just a bucket lister and only want maybe ten hours of lessons and that's it, or stick me with the lest senior kid who my not be too proficient himself.

When approaching an FBO are there any subtle clues which might tip me off as to the maintenance, safety consciousness or general competence of the staff?     

I would not worry about it. Just schedule a flight with the local flight school. Explain what you want to do and there should not be any problems.

No CFI is going to fly an airplane that is not airworthy. As for competence, all they are going to do is teach you basic student pilot maneuvers.

Again this is no big deal because this is basic stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

9 minutes ago, ptr1959w said:

I am currently not taking any insulin, but my eyes are correctable to 20/40

Call the AOPA and explain your situation so that they can offer you some guidance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DJJose said:

I would not worry about it. Just schedule a flight with the local flight school. Explain what you want to do and there should not be any problems.

No CFI is going to fly an airplane that is not airworthy. As for competence, all they are going to do is teach you basic student pilot maneuvers.

Again this is no big deal because this is basic stuff.

I echo these thoughts 100%. Go on over to your local flight school or FBO, ask to speak to someone about an introductory flight, tell the instructor what your goal is, and don’t forget your checkbook. They’ll be glad to accommodate you I’m sure. 

4 hours ago, DJJose said:

Call the AOPA and explain your situation so that they can offer you some guidance.

I second this as well. I’m not 100% sure on the correctable vision number. Please don’t not look into flying because of me. I could very well be quite wrong. 

Another alternative is to contact your local FAA certified medical examiner and explain any health issues. He can give you guidance. Simply call a local FBO and ask them who is local.

• Like 1

Jay

5 hours ago, PIC007 said:

Another alternative is to contact your local FAA certified medical examiner and explain any health issues. He can give you guidance. Simply call a local FBO and ask them who is local.

Good luck with that one especially during a pandemic. Heck, good luck finding an AME where you live. The closest AME to me is in Tampa and I live in Brooksville. No Doctor will give you info over the phone and once the patient is in the room, only after paying, it's too late. Once you fail the medical, it's hard to get one. It's better to get as much info, before seeing an AME.

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

Good luck with that one especially during a pandemic. Heck, good luck finding an AME where you live. The closest AME to me is in Tampa and I live in Brooksville. No Doctor will give you info over the phone and once the patient is in the room, only after paying, it's too late. Once you fail the medical, it's hard to get one. It's better to get as much info, before seeing an AME.

You can set up a consultation with an AME, and make that clear when making the appointment, that it's a consultation and not an FAA medical exam. That would be my recommendation to the OP, but as you said, it's probably difficult now. 

@ptr1959w I am an active private pilot who flies almost weekly. Great advice here. For sure, go for an introductory/discovery flight. If you decide to begin, you must try to fly at least once a week, preferably more. This will save you money as you will progress faster and not have to backtrack. You must make the PPL goal as a number one priority when you start your lessons to maintain momentum and familiarity. Get a good instructor match that can see you through the entire journey. In regards to the medical questions, I would visit other forums where aviation medical examiners are members like EAAforums.org and airliners.net. You should get a consensus on medical issues fairly quickly. In many instances if your medical condition can be monitored/controlled to within normal/acceptable levels you will be granted your medical. I know pilots with minor to major medical problems and they are all flying.

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

I'm currently a part of a team of flight enthusiasts who are working on our own flight sim career mode add-on. we're looking into competitors like OnAir, FSEconomy, Air Hauler 2, NeoFly and SkyPark and this is a question we've been really curious to find out. So far a lot of pilots seem to like OnAir the best. Thank you for this thread! Very insightful. If any pilot is feeling extra giving this Christmas it would be great if you could help us out taking our survey forms.gle/iyj1ooSV92FY8sNX9