Sign in to follow this  
ashepherd316

Flight Physics

2 minutes ago, somiller said:

Ah, didn't realize CFI's do instrument instruction.

Of course CFII does. But CFI can as part of simulated instrument training for private (3 hours). As instrument rating calls only for 15 hours from CFII it doesn't mean that CFI cannot teach basics. In fact anyone can teach anything and it's legal, endorsement is not! 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Just now, somiller said:

I could do the same with students in the sim and I'm not even a CFI - the point is that CFI's aren't certified to provide instrument instruction, at least not in a real airplane.

Read  my post above. Anyone can teach anything in real airplane. Scenario: father, a private pilot, teaching son how to fly his own airplane. Totally legal! Then later when son is ready to solo father called CFI who evaluate and endorse. Seen it have done it.

8 minutes ago, somiller said:

I could do the same with students in the sim and I'm not even a CFI - the point is that CFI's aren't certified to provide instrument instruction, at least not in a real airplane.

In the US we are required to provide 2.5 or 3 hours of instruments only instruction, or something like that. I think it varies based on type of school.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

7 minutes ago, WestAir said:

In the US we are required to provide 2.5 or 3 hours of instruments only instruction, or something like that. I think it varies based on type of school.

I don't have to but I do teach my private students instrument approach, at least basic stuff. I mean we teach how to use basic VOR, GPS why not get familiar with ILS?IN my opinion  It just may come handy during one hazy day or VMC to IMC emergency, who knows.

• Like 1