Sign in to follow this  

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Actually that's a very good temp for a 212 Evo.

Is that on all cores though? You do realise your CPU Turbo Boosts to 5.2 GHz anyway. But not all all cores of course. 

Ambient temp is worth knowing too. 🙂 

Yes. All cores. And I do. For P3D, I'm shooting for all 10 at 5.1Ghz.

To tell you the truth, between 2 and 4 of them at 5.3 or 5.4 is all that's really necessary for P3D. Probably just 2. Even running stock, I'm only getting 52-56% CPU utilization. I am definately no longer CPU bound. My poor RTX2080Ti is getting it's tail kicked. It runs above 90% all the time at about 67C. P3D looks incredible and is glass smooth. I'm only running 1080p, but I've got 8xSSAA running. I also increased the number of dynamic lights from 250 to 1000 (both settings), so there's that working against me. I have no stutters. None. I am thrilled with how it is running right now.

And it's about 69-70F in here.

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

One of my fans was getting noisy when it changed speeds so I just ordered 4 new Noctura fans last night. I'm going to replace the brand new Coolermaster that came with the 212 Evo with a NF-P12 CPU fan, the top and front fans with NF-A14s, which will be 140mm instead of 120mm, and replace the top 120mm back fan with a NF-S12A because I can't mount a 140mm there. The current top and back fans are both Coolermasters and the front fan is some clear no name fan with blue LEDs in it. I think that was a leftover from when one of my old girlfriends and her son lived here. I certainly don't remember buying it. As a matter of fact, I don't remember buying any of my fans. They just sorta showed up. This is my first ever targeted fan purchase, so I sure hope that the Noctura fans live up to the hype as far as sound volume and air movement are concerned. If they're as noisy as my current fans, I'll be mad because I could have spent a lot less money to get cheaper fans that aren't ugly as sin. 😀

Just heard from work that our building was going to be closed until at least Q3, so I'll be sitting right next to it daily for quite a while.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

On 15/01/2021 at 4:15 PM, MDFlier said:

One of my fans was getting noisy when it changed speeds so I just ordered 4 new Noctura fans last night. I'm going to replace the brand new Coolermaster that came with the 212 Evo with a NF-P12 CPU fan, the top and front fans with NF-A14s, which will be 140mm instead of 120mm, and replace the top 120mm back fan with a NF-S12A because I can't mount a 140mm there. The current top and back fans are both Coolermasters and the front fan is some clear no name fan with blue LEDs in it. I think that was a leftover from when one of my old girlfriends and her son lived here. I certainly don't remember buying it. As a matter of fact, I don't remember buying any of my fans. They just sorta showed up. This is my first ever targeted fan purchase, so I sure hope that the Noctura fans live up to the hype as far as sound volume and air movement are concerned. If they're as noisy as my current fans, I'll be mad because I could have spent a lot less money to get cheaper fans that aren't ugly as sin. 😀

The best all round Noctua fan is the NF-A12x24. Quiet and great airflow. They had to design new polymer for the blades because they are so close to the shroud for better performance. The new polymer prevents the blades stretching over time with centrifugal force. 

All Noctua fans have SSO2 oil pressure bearings, and when you do hear them all you hear is air moving not motor or bearing noise. 

For more static pressure NF-F12. Focused Flow.

I've never had a Noctua fan I wasn't pleased with, never had one fail, and most are available black now.

I use NF-A14 for case fans and NF-A15 on my D15S. All Chromax black.

Edited by martin-w

I was impatient, so I had the Amazon Prime 'next day' button clicked. That fan wasn't listed as one of the ones that could ship immediately. 

I'm pretty happy with all 4 of them. They really are much quieter than the fans I had before and CPU temps are also a degree or 2 lower. It was $90 well spent. The top case fan still makes quite a bit more noise than the others but it seems to be related to the airflow through the case. Leaving the case, the air goes through the fan, through 3/16" round holes in the metal case, across a short air gap, through a thin metal sheet with many 1/32" (or less) holes, and then through slots in the plastic case top. In my hand, that fan is as quiet as a hibernating bear. 

Noctua is providing little silicone rubber mounting screw replacements that they call 'anti vibration mounts' which on the surface seem like a really great idea. You shove them through the mounting surface from the outside and pull them into place from the inside. Then, you drop the fan over the 4 pieces sticking up and you pull each one to stretch it out so that the fan frame can slide past a little cone at the bottom of it. When you stop pulling on the top, the cone expands 'above' the fan frame and pulls it against the mounting surface. The issue with the execution of these is that they didn't make the part that you need to pull on long enough. You can only grab them by getting your fingers in the space between the 2 outer frames. If there is nothing anywhere near the fan, easy to do. With the fan in the top of the case it is in the corner where the back fan, the top fan, and a bundle of power cables for the MB meet. There is no way in heck to install the fan using them. You just can't reach 3 of them at all. Now if Noctua made the top of them long enough to poke through the screw holes on the other side of the fan so you could pull on them, this system would work great. I hope they change them because I would absolutely use them 100% of the time. I ended up mounting all 4 with screws. Great idea, bad execution. Makes you wonder who tested them and how?

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

I was impatient, so I had the Amazon Prime 'next day' button clicked. That fan wasn't listed as one of the ones that could ship immediately. 

I'm pretty happy with all 4 of them. 

Yep, that's what its all about. You cant go wrong whichever version you choose to be honest. 🙂 

The top case fan still makes quite a bit more noise than the others but it seems to be related to the airflow through the case.

I guess its closer to you though, being on top, with not much in the way to reduce the noise. Have you tried adjusting your fan profile? You would be surprised how much cooling we REALLY need, its not as much as most of us think. You may be able to tweak the fan profile. My rig is totally silent just browsing the internet, and low load stuff, in fact the case fans switch off completely idling. Under load, its the graphics card I hear mostly, not the case fans. I use Asus FanXpert 2. 

Noctua is providing little silicone rubber mounting screw replacements that they call 'anti vibration mounts' which on the surface seem like a really great idea. You shove them through the mounting surface from the outside and pull them into place from the inside. Then, you drop the fan over the 4 pieces sticking up and you pull each one to stretch it out so that the fan frame can slide past a little cone at the bottom of it. When you stop pulling on the top, the cone expands 'above' the fan frame and pulls it against the mounting surface. The issue with the execution of these is that they didn't make the part that you need to pull on long enough. You can only grab them by getting your fingers in the space between the 2 outer frames. If there is nothing anywhere near the fan, easy to do. With the fan in the top of the case it is in the corner where the back fan, the top fan, and a bundle of power cables for the MB meet. There is no way in heck to install the fan using them. You just can't reach 3 of them at all. Now if Noctua made the top of them long enough to poke through the screw holes on the other side of the fan so you could pull on them, this system would work great. I hope they change them because I would absolutely use them 100% of the time. I ended up mounting all 4 with screws. Great idea, bad execution. Makes you wonder who tested them and how?

Yeah, I have got them to work on occasion, but I just use conventional screws to mount my fans. There's no issue with vibration because the fans come with anti-vibration pads on the corners anyway. You don't really need the screw replacement things. 

I recall you went for Redux fans, they're the economy, cheaper fans, do they have the rubber corners on the fans? If so, that's all you need really. 

Edit: Just looked at the Redux fans, they actually don't have the rubber shock absorbers on the corners do they? 

You can buy silicone fan anti-vibration pads if you need them. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bitspower-Anti-Vibration-Silicon-120mm-Black/dp/B004CLFKL2

Or, looks like you can buy them from Noctua. Available in many colours.

https://noctua.at/en/na-savp1-chromax-grey

slider_images

Edited by martin-w

18 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yep, that's what its all about. You cant go wrong whichever version you choose to be honest. 🙂

I guess its closer to you though, being on top, with not much in the way to reduce the noise. Have you tried adjusting your fan profile? You would be surprised how much cooling we REALLY need, its not as much as most of us think. You may be able to tweak the fan profile. My rig is totally silent just browsing the internet, and low load stuff, in fact the case fans switch off completely idling. Under load, its the graphics card I hear mostly, not the case fans. I use Asus FanXpert 2.

Yeah, I have got them to work on occasion, but I just use conventional screws to mount my fans. There's no issue with vibration because the fans come with anti-vibration pads on the corners anyway. You don't really need the screw replacement things. 

I recall you went for Redux fans, they're the economy, cheaper fans, do they have the rubber corners on the fans? If so, that's all you need really.

No, I bought 2 - NF-A14 140mm case fans, 1 - NF-P12 CPU fan, and 1 - NF-S12A 120mm case fan. None of them are the Redux version. The NF-P12 CPU fan was the only one that did not come with the corner pads. The other 3 have them. It's a word not allowed shame that they didn't make those mounts longer, as they really are the cat's meow for fan mounting when you can get a grip on them. And I've been installing box fans in systems since the 80's so I've seen every contraption man ever invented for mounting box fans. I hated those old systems we had where 80% of the cabinet was simply there to provide mounting area for 20-30 box fans. The engineers kept coming up with fancy ways to make changing a single one with the system up "easier". Uh... No, they didn't. Noctua is close, so I'll call it a "foul tip". 

And I agree with you on the we need less than we might think. I have the fan SW set up so they hit 50% @ 40C and hit 80% @ 60C.

So far, I've had my 10850K running P3D with all cores locked to 5.2Ghz (HT off) and the package temp showed 71C in the Max column in HWInfo. However, in the "current" package temp column, I have never seen any reading that high, so the 71C in the "max" column was probably just a blip lasting a couple of nanoseconds. I usually see 66C-68C. 

I'm about done playing around with overclocking this thing. It runs P3D really well at stock settings and there's not a whole lot to be gained. I'm probably going to lower my fan curves a good bit at that time. I'm going to start looking into a little HW tuning next. Gathering the tech specs on my new components now. Boy, Intel is sure making it much harder to find stuff these days. Used to be that you get 3 1 inch thick manuals with every detail about the CPU and chip set you would ever want to know. Now they're playing hide and seek with it.   

13 hours ago, martin-w said:

Is OTT for sure. But might be quite nice to have important info like water temp, CPU temp fan rpm on the screen. 

That screen would be an absolute waste of silicon in my system. Once I get them working, I slap the sides on them and sit them next to the desk. Maybe I could open a fly in theater for dust mites? We could open with Gone With The Wind, lol.

Edited by MDFlier

42 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

The NF-P12 CPU fan was the only one that did not come with the corner pads. The other 3 have them. It's a word not allowed shame that

Well you can buy them as I say. I prefer the corner pads to the long stretchy things. 🙂 Its not new though, I recall BeQuiet use a similar system. I recall having used something similar before. 

So far, I've had my 10850K running P3D with all cores locked to 5.2Ghz (HT off) and the package temp showed 71C in the Max column in HWInfo. However, in the "current" package temp column, I have never seen any reading that high, so the 71C in the "max" column was probably just a blip lasting a couple of nanoseconds. I usually see 66C-68C. 

I'm about done playing around with overclocking this thing. It runs P3D really well at stock settings and there's not a whole lot to be gained. I'm probably going to lower my fan curves a good bit at that time. I'm going to start looking into a little HW tuning next. Gathering the tech specs on my new components now. Boy, Intel is sure making it much harder to find stuff these days. Used to be that you get 3 1 inch thick manuals with every detail about the CPU and chip set you would ever want to know. Now they're playing hide and seek with it.   

Decent overlock considering on 10 cores. And to be honest, a few hundred megahertz makes barely any difference to frame rate, given that overclocking is linear in a reasonably well balanced system. Great temp too, as we said. Makes me wonder what sort of results you would experience with a better cooler. I mean the 212 Evo is an okay cooler, but something like a D15, or top of the range AIO would be far superior. 

That screen would be an absolute waste of silicon in my system. Once I get them working, I slap the sides on them and sit them next to the desk. Maybe I could open a fly in theater for dust mites? We could open with Gone With The Wind, lol.

😀 I must admit, when I build a PC I do rather like aesthetics. Its not just about performance for me, I get a sense of achievement out of creating something that looks nice as well as performs well. Why I bother with custom cables and glass side panels. I am an OCD sufferer of course, so partly why I'm crazily fussy. The time and trouble I go to in order to run cables to perfection is astonishing. 

I'm embarrassed to say the screen with the AIO does appeal to me somewhat.  Think it would be handy to be able to see vital data at a quick glance through the panel. 

Here you go. Akasa make the same thing but look longer.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Akasa+20+Rubber+Case+Fans+Mounts&ref=nb_sb_noss

If there is nothing anywhere near the fan, easy to do. With the fan in the top of the case it is in the corner where the back fan, the top fan, and a bundle of power cables for the MB meet. There is no way in heck to install the fan using them. 

I guess its a case of installing them before the other kit that gets in the way. 

Edited by martin-w

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

Here you go. Akasa make the same thing but look longer.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Akasa+20+Rubber+Case+Fans+Mounts&ref=nb_sb_noss

I guess its a case of installing them before the other kit that gets in the way. 

Very cool. Thank You. I am definitely buying some of those. 

While I agree with the logic, I start every build by installing the MB and CPU. It helps me figure out where to put everything else.

Access to 2 sides of the top fan are blocked by structural members of the case. The rear fan is in the same boat just rotated 90 degrees. The power cable bundle just added a little extra obstruction.

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

😀 I must admit, when I build a PC I do rather like aesthetics. Its not just about performance for me, I get a sense of achievement out of creating something that looks nice as well as performs well. Why I bother with custom cables and glass side panels. I am an OCD sufferer of course, so partly why I'm crazily fussy. The time and trouble I go to in order to run cables to perfection is astonishing.

I'm embarrassed to say the screen with the AIO does appeal to me somewhat.  Think it would be handy to be able to see vital data at a quick glance through the panel. 

No worries. You are me 20 years and 6 computer builds ago. 😁

Now days, I just care that they run well. I literally never look at it. It sits between a wall and a desk on a little stand I slapped together to keep it about 5" off the floor. I have 2 cats running around here so every 3 or 4 months I take the sides off of it and take it out on the back porch. I blow it out with the tail end of a vacuum cleaner to get the fur and dust out out of it. I always power it up once sitting on the desk with the sides off to make sure it still works before putting it back in it's place next to the desk. Whenever I do, I look in there and think "Nice. The LEDs still light up.". Then I put it back together and put it back next to the desk and forget about it.

There's no sense in trying to make them pretty. It's a gimmick to sell ya stuff. The computer that you have today is like a beer, or a car, or a boat, or a woman,,, they're here until they're gone or go obsolete in a couple of years.... and then... another one shows up. 🙂

Edited by MDFlier

While I agree with the logic, I start every build by installing the MB and CPU. It helps me figure out where to put everything else.

Me too, I populate the motherboard as much as possible first. Just saying, in hindsight, re the space issue with the stretchy things. 

No worries. You are me 20 years and 6 computer builds ago. 😁

😀 I'm 63 and have built more and modified more PC's than I can remember. Still haven't changed.

I have 2 cats running around here so every 3 or 4 months I take the sides off of it and take it out on the back porch. I blow it out with the tail end of a vacuum cleaner to get the fur and dust out out of it. 

One cat here. Who likes to walk behind the tower, put his foot on the surge protector switch and shut down my PC. 😀 I never get any fur inside and very little dust. Primarily because I have a positive case pressure and either the tower is on a hard floor, or I position a board beneath. Positive pressure makes a big difference to dust build up, I very rarely have to clean it out. 

There's no sense in trying to make them pretty. It's a gimmick to sell ya stuff.

Not really. A selling point yes, but human beings appreciate art, aesthetics, the way things look. If we didn't then we would be driving cars that were just metal boxes with bland plain interiors, we wouldn't bother to adorn our houses inside and out with nice looking paint and decorations, we would wear plain practical cloths with no colour, not bother to have our hair cut nice and it would generally be an awful place to live. Human beings are visually orientated and beauty is appreciated.