Sign in to follow this  
dyl55

New 120hz monitor, how to setup

Hey, 

First I wish you all a very happy new year full of happiness and good flight 🙂 

Finally updated my computer with a rtx 3070 and ryzen 5600x 

And today I received my new samsung 49" 5k 120hz 

The question is now how to properly setup the monitor for 1440 or 4k ? 

I had 3 simple 24" 1080p 60hz monitor before and used MSI afterburner with rtss  set to scanline sync x/2 -1 and framelimit to 30, v sync in mfs off  

Question is,  should i still use it with the new one ? 

if yes, are those settings correct for the 120hz, Scanline sync x/2 ( which per my understanding makes my hz divided by 2) so instead of 120 i would have 60 and then set framelimit to 60 ?  

What about vsync now ? still off or should i turn it on and set limit to 60 ? 

thank you in advance for your help 

First question is whether your monitor is Gsync compatible. If so you should be using it.

Next question is what frame rate are you aiming for.  60 FPS on a 3070 @ 5K is likely going to need lowish/medium quality on a lot of sliders.   If you are going to be setting the game to all ultra # 5K with a 3070 you likely will be looking at 30ish FPS (120/4)   but a good compromise might be happy to wind your setting back just enough to manage 40 fps (120/3) it sort of depends if you prefer pretties or FPS really.

As an example- my system is running a 3070 @ 1440p and I can manage 40+ FPS in a lot of locations and even hit 60 FPS in certain spots with ultra setting but some aircraft/airfields drop me to under 30 FPS, though to be fair that is often CPU limited on my system.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

34 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

First question is whether your monitor is Gsync compatible. If so you should be using it.

Next question is what frame rate are you aiming for.  60 FPS on a 3070 @ 5K is likely going to need lowish/medium quality on a lot of sliders.   If you are going to be setting the game to all ultra # 5K with a 3070 you likely will be looking at 30ish FPS (120/4)   but a good compromise might be happy to wind your setting back just enough to manage 40 fps (120/3) it sort of depends if you prefer pretties or FPS really.

As an example- my system is running a 3070 @ 1440p and I can manage 40+ FPS in a lot of locations and even hit 60 FPS in certain spots with ultra setting but some aircraft/airfields drop me to under 30 FPS, though to be fair that is often CPU limited on my system.

Yes it;s gsync compatible, is there anything else to activate ? 

Well, i am not a FPS hunter as far as it fluid i am happy, so around 30fps is goo to me, i am not on ultra on every slider, a lot of them are high, i did a lot of comparaison and when i do not see difference between high or ultra i set it to the lower 

if the performance hit is too big in 4k i'll try 1440, which is already better than my 1080 🙂 

Do you use rtss ? 

Is it G-Sync compatible or hardware based? That will affect the VRR, and determine what FPS you need to aim for. But with G-Sync you should not need any of those RTSS settings. 

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Is it G-Sync compatible or hardware based? That will affect the VRR, and determine what FPS you need to aim for. But with G-Sync you should not need any of those RTSS settings. 

looking at the spec it should be G sync compatible and freesync 

So i'll only have to activate g sync in nvidia control panel and V sync in the sim with framelimit a 30 ? 

11 minutes ago, dyl55 said:

looking at the spec it should be G sync compatible and freesync 

So i'll only have to activate g sync in nvidia control panel and V sync in the sim with framelimit a 30 ? 

You don't need a framerate limit with a GSync monitor. As long as you can get more than 30, the refresh rate will be in sync. Just remember to activate it "for full screen and windowed mode".

As for the resolution, you must use the native resolution and in case your GPU struggles, reduce the resolution scale in the options.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I have a G-sync - Freesync compatible monitor, I set Gsync + Vsync on in Nvidia panel and lock my fps to 30 with Riva Tuner, most for being able to do that on the fly depending which game I play, but you can also lock the frames in Nvidia panel, my settings works flawlessly in all my games.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

It depends on the VRR rate of the monitor, most compatible ones only start at around 40. Which means you would need minimum of 40 FPS at all times otherwise G-Sync isn't doing anything as it will be disengaged. 

You need to find out the VRR rate of the monitor before you do anything else. 

26 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I have a G-sync - Freesync compatible monitor, I set Gsync + Vsync on in Nvidia panel and lock my fps to 30 with Riva Tuner, most for being able to do that on the fly depending which game I play, but you can also lock the frames in Nvidia panel, my settings works flawlessly in all my games.

So, by the sounds of it, you are not even using G-Sync. Just because you have it enabled, doesn't mean it's working. You need to find out what your VRR rate is, and if its only a compatible monitor, and not hardware G-Sync based, chances are the VRR starts at 40. Therefore anything below 40 FPS and GSync wont work. You are probably smooth because you are locked at 30 fps. 

A hardware based g-sync monitor:-

GSync HARDWARE BASED MONITOR is not like FreeSync, there's no "range", it works at any FPS rate, even at 2 FPS. The GSync module multiplies the frames if necessary to always display something in the effective range of the monitor's panel, and it does not introduce any lag.

HOWEVER:-

A Freesync or G-Sync compatible monitor kicks in so that your FPS stays within your VRR range (depending on the model of your monitor). ... If the fps goes below or above the range, freesync will stop working and you will see tearing. (unless you also have V-Sync activated).

Sorry, there is so much mis-information and incorrect advice in avsim regarding G-Sync, so I feel compelled to post this and at least clarify it. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

HOWEVER:-

A Freesync or G-Sync compatible monitor kicks in so that your FPS stays within your VRR range (depending on the model of your monitor). ... If the fps goes below or above the range, freesync will stop working and you will see tearing. (unless you also have V-Sync activated).

Unless it has LFC which all freesync 2 certified monitors support. 

True for many older freesync monitors though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Unless it has LFC which all freesync 2 certified monitors support. 

True for many older freesync monitors though.

True, but even LFC is poor compared to G-Sync's hardware based monitor. Still better than not having it though. 

G-Sync usually offers synchronization down to 1 Hz or FPS and most Freesync screens stop at 48 Hz but with LFC they double or multiply the frames until they reach 48 or more. That's exactly what G-Sync is doing too, only the frames are stored in the G-Sync module's RAM instead of the GPU's RAM.

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

42 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

True, but even LFC is poor compared to G-Sync's hardware based monitor. Still better than not having it though. 

G-Sync usually offers synchronization down to 1 Hz or FPS and most Freesync screens stop at 48 Hz but with LFC they double or multiply the frames until they reach 48 or more. That's exactly what G-Sync is doing too, only the frames are stored in the G-Sync module's RAM instead of the GPU's RAM.

Yep G-Sync goes all the way down to under 2 FPS whereas Freesync 2 cuts off  at 9 FPS .

Though to be honest anything under 10 FPS is pretty much unplayable anyway so it is sort of academic.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

So, by the sounds of it, you are not even using G-Sync. Just because you have it enabled, doesn't mean it's working. You need to find out what your VRR rate is, and if its only a compatible monitor, and not hardware G-Sync based, chances are the VRR starts at 40. Therefore anything below 40 FPS and GSync wont work. You are probably smooth because you are locked at 30 fps. 

It definitely works, because I get flicker if I turn it off, my monitor (BenQ EX3501R) have something that called LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) technology that kicks in to save the day by doubling the frames (47FPS -> 94Hz) for smoother performance.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

4 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

It definitely works, because I get flicker if I turn it off, my monitor have something that called LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) technology that kicks in to save the day by doubling the frames (47FPS -> 94Hz) for smoother performance.

Ahhh yeah, LFC, I completely forgot about that in new free sync monitors .....nice 🙂

• Like 1