Sign in to follow this  
TurboKen

RTX2080 to RTX3090 FTW3 Direct comparison results inside

Hello fellow flight sim enthusiasts. I am one of the lucky few who came across an RTX3090 card and was able to purchase before a bot got it. I decided to run some comparison tests with my current card before selling. Currently I use a Gigabyte RTX2080 OC edition which is a great card and runs most games/sims very well. The new card is a EVGA RTX3090 FTW3.
I will be giving results for several games in-addition to the flight sims I play so that people can make an informed decision on weather it will meet your expectations so stay-tuned. The first question you all want to know is... Was it worth it? Well to be honest that depends on what sim you fly.
You can see computer specs in my sig below, all tests were ran with the RTX2080 first with a restart in-between tests. Then I swapped in the RTX3090. I used 457.30 nvidia drivers and had Vsync enabled. Tests were @ 3840 x 1600 on a 38" Dell ultrawide monitor if anyone is curious.
OK, OK. Here are the results...
Prepar3d V4
SEATAC w/ mostly high settings and ORBX PNW and DD Seattle
RTX2080  34FPS
RTX3090  36FPS
DT Seattle
RTX2080  40FPS
RTX3090  45FPS
As you can see the mostly cpu dependant sim does not benefit from the increased GPU horsepower here but you will want to keep reading if you fly other sims.
Prepar3d V5
SEATAC w/ mostly high settings and ORBX True Earth
RTX2080  31FPS
RTX3090  50FPS
DT Seattle 
RTX2080  35FPS
RTX3090  55FPS
Here it really shows the work LM have done with off loading much of the work to the GPU. V5 w/True earth is really stunning and the smoothness is something to be seen.
MSFS2020
SEATAC all settings on ULTRA w/DD seattle 
RTX2080  25FPS
RTX3090  40FPS
DT Seattle
RTX2080  16FPS
RTX3090  35FPS
NYC Empire State Building
RTX2080  33FPS  (on MED settings 45FPS)
RTX3090  47FPS
So yeah.. the RTX3090 results speak for themselves. Flying in bad weather, sunset, shadows, traffic, bla bla bla it doesnt care. It's smooth.
Another interesting note the 3090 will use up to 13 Gigs of video ram sitting at KPDX with the FlightBeam add-on and traffic. So the extra ram the 3090 gives you will get put to use.
Now if you are interested in different games keep reading...
All games below were on Max graphics settings and RTX enabled if available. My monitor has Vsync enabled and maxes out at 60. And all were very smooth.
                                             RTX2080            RTX3090
Heaven Benchmark              55                      108
Valley Benchmark                 52                      107
3DMark Port Royal                31                      64
Battlefield V                           45                      60
Project Cars 2                       48                       60
Asseto Corsa Compitition      53                      60
Dirt 2                                      50                      60        

OK That's it. I hope this helps you make a decision however it will probably not make it any better on the poor stock levels. Good luck out there and stay safe.    

Edited by TurboKen
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Great data, thanks for putting it together! The VRAM data make me glad that I opted for a 6800 XT. Looking forward to getting my 4K texture resolution back while cranking up all other settings. 

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^