Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

How Much More?

On 1/14/2021 at 6:35 PM, Noel said:

Well let's hope so.  The next time I have the need to drag a window very fast I know what to expect.  Fortunately I don't have that urge when flying.  For what you get, you can't beat vsync to 30Hz.  Massive CPU and GPU headroom, effectively double, relative to 60.  Unless you have personally used vsync to 30Hz, it's all your guess.  I don't think anyone NOT LOOKING would see the difference while using MSFS or P3D.  When I watch movies at 24-30fps, I don't suffer either, even in fast-moving scene.  In real life when you turn quickly guess what you don't see clarity whatsoever!  You see....MOTION BLUR!!

Hollywood has been able to make 48/60 fps movies for a long time and yet they (mostly)  still stick to 24fps.  Smooth 24/30 fps in slow moving scenes ( flight sim mostly sits in that space) is pretty easy on the eyes.  your brain hates jerkiness so it wont like jerky @ any frame rate . its just that jerkiness at 60fps may be harder to perceive. Im one also that thinks smooth 30 in slow moving action virtually looks the same to me in real use.  with proper motion blur very difficult to detect in fast scenes (for me)   Now if i lower the settings and start panning around or flying in a way i dont normally do then sure... i can tell the difference.. but tweaking for experiments doesnt really work for my use case. 

So Im for (as someone stated above)  agreeing to disagree on this one . the fps topic is as old as the ability to film and make games/sims at > 30fps. the human eye/brain (psychologically and mechanically)  combo is unique in every man/woman.

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

1 hour ago, Wewk584 said:

Im one also that thinks smooth 30 in slow moving action virtually looks the same to me in real use.  with proper motion blur very difficult to detect in fast scenes (for me)   Now if i lower the settings and start panning around or flying in a way i dont normally do then sure... i can tell the difference.. but tweaking for experiments doesnt really work for my use case.

I emphasize this to offset the frequently expressed recommendations here for high mHz capable screens as well as 60fps.  Newcomers to flight simulation, if they blindly follow these recommendations when it's time to buy, they will saddled w/ the very same issues that spawned the OP's 'curiosity', and not even know that this does not have to be the case to have absolute excellence in the experience, and in the case of MSFS, this is before the heavies arrive from PDMG.  Right now, even using vsync to 30Hz in P3D 4.5, I need to dial back settings in those planes to fly in an out of complex metropolitan areas else see my 9900K@5gHz start choke.  I deal w/ this by flying from dusk thru dawn only when scenery visuals don't come into play much at all, save 3rd party airports.  Night lighting looks great in P3D especially in the nice 3rd party airports.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X