Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

How Much More?

I've compared both options because I can, and I can tell you as a 'gamer' with 30y of experience, I can't tell the difference, in P3D nor MSFS.  Now you if intentionally try to tease out differences I'm sure you can, but in the way a flight sim is used, I stand 100% behind my belief.  Further, you really need to look at the entire package:  if you're totally smooth, and I am, w/ smooth panning, and have copius CPU headroom to exploit while at Ultra settings, this matters hugely.  I believe this is the least exploited approach that offers far more than it takes away.  I am vocal about this because I believe too many people don't really appreciate how good it is, specifically, vsync to a 30Hz screen, for what it offers.  Not RTSS scanline x/2, but actual vsync to 30Hz.  For first person shooters, racing games etc this will matter, but again, looking at the entire picture of needing headroom to accommodate PMDG and othe likely more CPU-intensive planeware, AND demanding a totally smooth experience, you can't beat vsync to 30hz.  I've tried both 30Hz and 60hz extensively, cannot discern the difference after a reboot/reconfig on the same machine.  The entire argument changes when you can maintain 60fps in all scenarios w/ all settings on Ultra/100/200/200 in something like the PMDG 777.  Even then though, the perceived difference will not be that significant at all.  I say this because I've done both extensively.

How much have you used vsync to 30Hz screen?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Is this old argument still ongoing? 
Isn’t the new ps5 and Xbox 60fps now? Gotta be for a reason, no?  

• Like 1

Everybody can tell the difference of 30 or 60 FPS. No idea, why this bull keeps popping up in flight sim forums (never in gaming forums, guess why?). There are even plenty of screen tests for this with rock stable 30 vs. 60FPS, if you can not tell the difference by looking at those, you might consider medical examination to check if your eyesight is still ok, seriously. Example: testufo.com

BTW: I can see the difference between 60 and 30, but I still prefer locked 30, but just because I prefer eye candy over FPS in the sims and my rig would be only capable of 60 FPS with too many settings dialled down.

Edited by AnkH
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

2 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Everybody can tell the difference of 30 or 60 FPS. No idea, why this bull keeps popping up in flight sim forums (never in gaming forums, guess why?). There are even plenty of screen tests for this with rock stable 30 vs. 60FPS, if you can not tell the difference by looking at those, you might consider medical examination to check if your eyesight is still ok, seriously. Example: testufo.com

Oh I can tell the difference. I can also tell the difference between the quality of the image generated at both FPS. I CHOOSE to load my GPU so I am getting between 24-30 FPS and 100%GPU load. 

There is no magic bullet for 60FPS in MSFS and best Image quality. Sometimes you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Regards

• Like 1

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

If you genuinely can't see a difference between 30 and 60 fps, good for you! You can save a lot on hardware. 😃

On the other hand, you should seriously get your eyes checked...

• Like 2

It is not about if people can see the difference between 30 and 60 (surely they can?), but whether it is a necessary sacrifice against other items (visual quality).  

I can tell the difference easily, but in the main I am looking forward through the screen, and there is not much pixel movement.  I notice 30 fps is not as smooth when panning my head to look out of the side window, but it is tolerable.

I long for the day of 4k and all sliders to the right at 60 fps, and I think with DX12 and maybe the next generation of graphics cards, we might soon be there.  Although the devs normally find a way of adding extra graphical effects to slow it all down again! :biggrin:

At the moment, as others have said, 30 FPS is tolerable for me and it allows me to increase screen resolution and run at high / ultra.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, honanhal said:

If you genuinely can't see a difference between 30 and 60 fps, good for you! You can save a lot on hardware. 😃

On the other hand, you should seriously get your eyes checked...

LOL right?

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

BTW: I can see the difference between 60 and 30, but I still prefer locked 30, but just because I prefer eye candy over FPS in the sims and my rig would be only capable of 60 FPS with too many settings dialled down.

Exactly!

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

It is not about if people can see the difference between 30 and 60 (surely they can?), but whether it is a necessary sacrifice against other items (visual quality).  

Actually, someone earlier in this thread really did say that in a double-blind test, people would not be able to tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

Actually, someone earlier in this thread really did say that in a double-blind test, people would not be able to tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

Well that is just crazy. :biggrin:  If I go to and area that is not too busy in MSFS and change to 60 fps through RTSS straight away, I can tell the difference immediately. 

It is the sideways scrolling and panning that gives it away.  When you are used to 30 fps like me, the smoothness of 60 fps almost makes me feel disorientated for a while, as everything seems to whiz around super smooth.

Everyone is different I suppose.  I think it comes from the generalisation (and myth) that the eye only can only perceive 24 Hz at most, and that is why movies are shot at this speed.   But if you watch a high speed movie (high fps) on a TV that is say 100 or 120 Hz, you can easily see the difference.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

28 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

When you are used to 30 fps like me, the smoothness of 60 fps almost makes me feel disorientated for a while, as everything seems to whiz around super smooth.

And that is the difference 🙂 and that’s what makes it feel and look more like flight. IMO. 

• Like 2

In the 90 th some scientists did say the human eye cannot perceive more than 28 image per seconds.They were totally wrong and their knowledge is questionable. 

I have got a 144 hz laptop, I didn`t need it, but it was included in my configuration. The difference is totally perceivable.  Just drag your window very fast from one side to the other. If you see multiple windows on the screen (tearing), then you know you would not get them on a good 144hz screen.

I thought there would be no difference between 60 hz and 144 hz, but there is. For me it`s more of a beauty solution, it feels more fluid. That`s why I still can live with 60 fps, but gamers who pretend they need it for better reflexes are anyway abused, because a frame at 60hz does 17 milliseconds.

Edited by BigDee
  • Like 2

Honestly while MSFS is graphically a lot better then other flight sims, compared to say Control or other AAA games it's not anything special visually. 

I hope there is additional optimization that can be done, because the console GPUs are pretty limited compared to what a lot of PC flight simmers are running and it will be a very poor experience on XBox if they can't optimize it more.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Yea, this is 2021, with the hardware we should be able to hold about 60FPS. I think there is so much crappy code from FSX. Keep in mind that MSFS 2020 was not developed from scratch. They used some things from the FSX code. Probably for cost and efficiency reasons. 

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

On 1/13/2021 at 6:36 AM, sanh said:

I don't think flight sims can be optimised. Too many variables. Too many settings, addons, planes and scenery. Whichever combo you use has to be finely tuned.

There is no free lunch.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I can tell the difference easily, but in the main I am looking forward through the screen, and there is not much pixel movement.  I notice 30 fps is not as smooth when panning my head to look out of the side window, but it is tolerable.

I long for the day of 4k and all sliders to the right at 60 fps, and I think with DX12 and maybe the next generation of graphics cards, we might soon be there.  Although the devs normally find a way of adding extra graphical effects to slow it all down again! :biggrin:

At the moment, as others have said, 30 FPS is tolerable for me and it allows me to increase screen resolution and run at high / ultra.

There you go same sentiment said in a few different words.  For what you PAY for vsync to 30Hz, the payoff is outstanding.  With regard to noticing 30 v 60 I'd be curious to know how many who claim it's anywhere near important in a civilian flight sim have actually vsynced to a 30Hz capable screen, not a surrogate test using RTSS.  My sense is there aren't a whole lot of screens w/ this capability and for those stuck on 120Hz screens and up I know those won't be capable.   I continue to bring this up because I feel the payoff is excellent for the cost and not everyone is aware of just how excellent solid vsync to 30Hz is for flight simulation.   For everyone who has used this and appreciates what it offers there are probably 50 that think they must have 60fps else they lose something more significant than being able to maintain total smoothness anywhere.   Just wait til the PMDG and other stuff arrives.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X