Sign in to follow this  
NightOfDreams

STILL unable to reload or change weather in saved flight

Was flying in nice clouds and the game froze. I had saved the flight 10 minutes earlier, so I reloaded it and OF COURSE back to clear skies. For some idiotic reason, you STILL cannot change the weather when reloading a flight.

I have complained and complained and complained about this ridiculous stupidity and resulting uselessness of saving a flight, but absolutely no one seems to care. 

Is it just me that thinks such a basic function in a flight simulator that is prone to randomly crash and freeze is STILL GARBAGE 5 months after release??? This can probably be fixed in a matter of minutes (be able to change weather settings in a loaded flight). 

Edited by w6kd
edit by mod to remove masked profanity

The sim is awesome!  Best sim we have ever had.  I deleted all my other sims the day it came out.  It's great, what are you complaining about? When I use the drone cam to zoom through the cities they look awesome.  I can zoom along the roads and pretend I am driving a car.  MSFS is pumping such transformative visions of the world into my eyeballs.  Asobo and Microsoft said 10 years!@#$!@@# dude!  Just be patient and I'm sure they will fix it eventually!

Now that I've preemptively said what you're likely to get as a response here from lots of people.... Yes it's dumb this doesn't work.  No I don't think Asobo will be bothered to fix it anytime soon.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

16 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

The sim is awesome!  Best sim we have ever had.  I deleted all my other sims the day it came out.  It's great, what are you complaining about? When I use the drone cam to zoom through the cities they look awesome.  I can zoom along the roads and pretend I am driving a car.  MSFS is pumping such transformative visions of the world into my eyeballs.  Asobo and Microsoft said 10 years!@#$!@@# dude!  Just be patient and I'm sure they will fix it eventually!

Now that I've preemptively said what you're likely to get as a response here from lots of people.... Yes it's dumb this doesn't work.  No I don't think Asobo will be bothered to fix it anytime soon.

I had to vent because my sim froze randomly near final apprach and I had to start my flight all over from the beginning. To get around this nonsense you have to start a new flight from the beginning, load the same flight plan and start the flight from the last waypoint you were at when the game crashed. Then and only then can you change the weather. ???? You cant even change it in developer mode. Why??? This would probably take 5 minutes to fix

Can't you just escape out after loading and change the weather back?

It probably won't be exactly the same, but trying to capture weather exactly as it was in a previous flight seems to me like there would be too many variables and too many things changing in real time.

Has ASOBO said it's something that would be even possible?

It would be different story if we had static weather. 

When you load a saved flight, the weather is 'locked' and can't be adjusted.  The options are not available. It makes no sense whatsoever.  It's the typical lack of attention to detail we see in this entire project.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Does changing any of these in the FLT file help?

[Weather]
UseWeatherFile=False
UseLiveWeather=True
WeatherPresetFile=
WeatherCanBeLive=True
CloudmapPosOverride=False
CloudmapInitialPosX=0
CloudmapInitialPosY=0
FixedClouds=False

37 minutes ago, dobee51 said:

Can't you just escape out after loading and change the weather back?

It probably won't be exactly the same, but trying to capture weather exactly as it was in a previous flight seems to me like there would be too many variables and too many things changing in real time.

Has ASOBO said it's something that would be even possible?

It would be different story if we had static weather. 

No, once I reload any .FLT file, the weather settings are locked and cannot be changed. Usually the weather settings are then clear sky, 29.92 and winds 270 at 3. It is impossible to change them to anything else unless I start a brand new flight because the two weather buttons (one in World Map and the other in the sim) are unselectable.

I wouldn't expect the Live Weather settings to be exactly the same as when I saved a flight, but you should still be able to select Live Weather and then have the weather be whatever current conditions are. Nope, that's not possible.

30 minutes ago, dobee51 said:

Does changing any of these in the FLT file help?

[Weather]
UseWeatherFile=False
UseLiveWeather=True
WeatherPresetFile=
WeatherCanBeLive=True
CloudmapPosOverride=False
CloudmapInitialPosX=0
CloudmapInitialPosY=0
FixedClouds=False

Nope, I tried doing all of this 3 months ago but made no difference at all. My flight went from cloudy pre-save, to clear skies after reloading. Changing variables in the FLT did not restore live weather or allow me to select any weather options.

Edited by NightOfDreams

45 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

When you load a saved flight, the weather is 'locked' and can't be adjusted.  The options are not available. It makes no sense whatsoever.  It's the typical lack of attention to detail we see in this entire project.

I only use the save/reload function in the off-chance the sim crashes or freezes. It doesn't crash too often but when it does I fly off the rails. If I can just restore my flight and go back 10-15 minutes to when I last saved, it's at least something until I figure out what's causing the sim to crash. But when I reload the .FLT file, the skies are always universally clear and it is impossible to get any weather whatsoever. So in my view the save/reload function is utterly useless unless you don't care about taking off and landing in the same weather conditions.

I wonder if one of the Flight Recorders has a Save Flight option. I know one of them has ability to replay a flight and change the weather.

Had the same problem ,usually after resuming the saved flight 24 hours later.

However recentlywhen  resuming a saved flight I have live weather 70% of the time, but the weather icon does not appear on the screen, occasionaly the resumed flight does revert back to standard clear skies

Edited by raknal
  • Like 1

Richard Mawkes

Intel Core i7 7700 4.2GHz, , Kingston Hyper Fury Black 16GB 2400MHz DDR4

Asus Geforce GTX 1070  8GB Dual Fan edition

56 minutes ago, raknal said:

Had the same problem ,usually after resuming the saved flight 24 hours later.

However recentlywhen  resuming a saved flight I have live weather 70% of the time, but the weather icon does not appear on the screen, occasionaly the resumed flight does revert back to standard clear skies

I've had the same experience. Sometimes it saves the weather settings, but many times it does not. If my weather settings were saved then I wouldn't care about not being able to select the weather icon.

4 hours ago, NightOfDreams said:

I had to vent because my sim froze randomly near final apprach and I had to start my flight all over from the beginning. To get around this nonsense you have to start a new flight from the beginning, load the same flight plan and start the flight from the last waypoint you were at when the game crashed. Then and only then can you change the weather. ???? You cant even change it in developer mode. Why??? This would probably take 5 minutes to fix

I have gotten around this with REX WF.  And for Night of Dreams???  My previous flights, all of two hours planned enroute time, all failed at some point.  Was able to load recent saves for two of them, but not the other.  And when loading back in a saved flight I am not getting my flight plan back.  🥵😡🤬

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I can't save flights. When reloaded I have no drop down menu at all, so can't change anything.

1 hour ago, desbean said:

I can't save flights. When reloaded I have no drop down menu at all, so can't change anything.

My references were to flights where icing became a big issue or when the G1000 locked up.  The menus have been available in those cases.  Just the G1000 quit responding.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere