Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

Any of you played FS9 on a projector?

Guest ThrottleUp

Was reading a computer magazine in the store and was looking at reviews of LCD projectors. Got me wondering...imagine FS9 taking up an entire wall ...wooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!Have any of you done this....was it nice? :) The things are still frightfully expensive (and so are the spare bulbs). It will be a long time before I get one.

Hi, ThrottleUp. I have seen it at a friend's house.An entire room is dedicated to fly FS200#. It is funny to see FS200# on the wall, 4' X 6' BIG, in size ! !I dont remember what type of projector he had. I made the CYHU scenery, and it was nice to seethe restaurant I made for that airoport, SO BIG !! He also made a wood Cessna cockpit, and had amonitor, showing omly the gauges, behind adashboard, made of plywood, with holes in it,to show the gauges only, thrue the holes. He had the CH Product Yoke-kit, and manyother real switches on his dash. Beautifull setup ! Real size stuff !

>Was reading a computer magazine in the store and was looking>at reviews of LCD projectors. Got me wondering...imagine FS9>taking up an entire wall ...wooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!>>Have any of you done this....was it nice? :) The things are>still frightfully expensive (and so are the spare bulbs). It>will be a long time before I get one.>>Yes that is how I have mine setup. I use a Mittsibishi XD300U DLP Projector, on a 8'W 6'H screen. (Actually just the wall). It really adds to the experience. When you consider it's used not only for the computer but also as a Home Theater, the cost isn't really that high, except for the replacement bulbs. I'm still trying to figue out why they cost so much. It really is only a light bulb!!! I've had mine since 9/04 and just installed my second replacement at $380.00 each.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest matt11

Would it be possible to use a projector with the NaturalPoint TrackIR4 which was reviewed here on Avsim just a short while ago. That opens up all sorts of possibilities.Think I better start saving my money, or find those chaps who stole that

Guest ThrottleUp

Wow nice! Maybe one day I will get a projector but not just yet. I have yet to read a convincing technical argument on why projector bulbs are so expensive. I've only watched movies on friends projectors but never seen FS run on it!

>Would it be possible to use a projector with the NaturalPoint>TrackIR4 which was reviewed here on Avsim just a short while>ago. That opens up all sorts of possibilities.>>Think I better start saving my money, or find those chaps who>stole that

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

>It's possible, it all a matter of the location of the ir>recieving unit. The problem is, it has a limited range so you>couldn't put it near the screen like you would a monitor,>since you will be back from the screen. The other problem is>it needs to be about level with the transmitting dot you place>on your head or hat. That means it will inevitably be in your>viewing path, if you can avoid this, or it doesn't bother you,>than yes the TrackIr4 can be used.Easy, put it behind (or right, or left) of your head. :)Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

>>It's possible, it all a matter of the location of the ir>>recieving unit. The problem is, it has a limited range so>you>>couldn't put it near the screen like you would a monitor,>>since you will be back from the screen. The other problem is>>it needs to be about level with the transmitting dot you>place>>on your head or hat. That means it will inevitably be in>your>>viewing path, if you can avoid this, or it doesn't bother>you,>>than yes the TrackIr4 can be used.>>Easy, put it behind (or right, or left) of your head. :)>>Marco>Great if you can do it that way! I always thought it had to be in front of you. That's what I read and heard in the demo videos. Speaking of which here's a video taken from a video camera of FS9 projected on my 8' x6' screen (wall). Sorry the quality of the transfer wasn't that great, but I think you'll get the idea of what it's like projected on the big screen (wall in my case!!) This is a pattern around Jackson Hole Runway 18 in a Mustang!! The landing was a little off center, but not that bad!! The format is DivX AVI. If you need the Codec you can get it at www.divx.comwww.tf51d.com/jacksonhole.avi

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

>Great if you can do it that way! I always thought it had to be>in front of you. That's what I read and heard in the demo>videos.I think it suffices that the trackIR and the dot are facing each other.>Speaking of which here's a video taken from a video>camera of FS9 projected on my 8' x6' screen (wall). Sorry the>quality of the transfer wasn't that great, but I think you'll>get the idea of what it's like projected on the big screen>(wall in my case!!) This is a pattern around Jackson Hole>Runway 18 in a Mustang!!Great video! What Mustang is that? What resolution was it running at?Have you tried to decrease zoom factor? I think with an 8'x6' screen you can gain quite some peripheral vision and still retain a proper prospective.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Great video! What Mustang is that? What resolution was it running at?Have you tried to decrease zoom factor? I think with an 8'x6' screen you can gain quite some peripheral vision and still retain a proper prospective.It's the Shockwave ** Mustang. I run FS9 at 1280x1024x32. There actually wasn't any zoom set on the camera. The tape wasn't too bad, but transfering it to AVI I lost some detail. Tried MPEG not much difference. I guess that's the price to keep the file from being in the gigabytes :)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

>It's the Shockwave ** Mustang. I run FS9 at 1280x1024x32.>There actually wasn't any zoom set on the camera. The tape>wasn't too bad, but transfering it to AVI I lost some detail.>Tried MPEG not much difference. I guess that's the price to>keep the file from being in the gigabytes :)Oh, not the camera, I was talking about decreasing zoom factor in FS9. This way you should have more realistic dimensions of the panel, and more peripheral vision.Marco

>Oh, not the camera, I was talking about decreasing zoom factor>in FS9. This way you should have more realistic dimensions of>the panel, and more peripheral vision.>>Marco>Actua;lly the zoom in FS9 was set to 50%. I do that so I can see the guages. at 1X zoom the quages are too close!! Most aircraft I only set 75% but on the P-51D I find 50% works best. I fly in the VC BTW not the 2D panel.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Guest ajax501

>>Would it be possible to use a projector with the>NaturalPoint>>TrackIR4 which was reviewed here on Avsim just a short while>>ago. That opens up all sorts of possibilities. [....] >>Matt>Then tf51d replied (in part):>It's possible, it all a matter of the location of the ir>recieving unit. The problem is, it has a limited range so you>couldn't put it near the screen like you would a monitor ...Hi everyone. A newbee to the forum here.I've been enjoying a projector setup with the TrackIR4. I put the camera just below the screen, but had to bend the middle reflector. But I like the suggestion of putting the camera to the rear, will try it out.The setup works great with 3D glasses. Big screen 3D is the cat's meow in my opinion. Been playing for hours and still have a lot of bulb life, looks like it will last for years - but it does get a bit dimmer in brightness as time goes on. I have some more info on my website.

>>>Would it be possible to use a projector with the>>NaturalPoint>>>TrackIR4 which was reviewed here on Avsim just a short>while>>>ago. That opens up all sorts of possibilities. [....] > >>>Matt>>Then tf51d replied (in part):>>It's possible, it all a matter of the location of the ir>>recieving unit. The problem is, it has a limited range so>you>>couldn't put it near the screen like you would a monitor ...>>Hi everyone. A newbee to the forum here.>I've been enjoying a projector setup with the TrackIR4. I put>the camera just below the screen, but had to bend the middle>reflector. But I like the suggestion of putting the camera to>the rear, will try it out.>The setup works great with 3D glasses. Big screen 3D is the>cat's meow in my opinion. Been playing for hours and still>have a lot of bulb life, looks like it will last for years ->but it does get a bit dimmer in brightness as time goes on. I>have some more info on my website. >>>Welcome to the forums! What kind of projector do you have? What are the Lumens. Mine is 2200 ANSI Lumens. Mine don't seem to dim even when it's time for replacement!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Guest ajax501

Hi tf51d, thank you for the nice welcome.Hey, I'm checking out your homepage. WOW!!!!They looks like it is the REAL THING!I'l be downloading you AVI as soon as I logout!My projector? It's an OPTOMA EP745 2300 lumens as advertised.But I am suspicious. Tigerdirect sells it, but it is notlisted on the Optoma web site. It also advertizes a 100Hzrefresh rate, but as delivered it only operates up to 85Hz,and the lumen output is not mentioned in any of the documentsdelivered with the projector.It's plenty bright enough for normal use, but you have to havea really bright display for the 3D glasses. There's moredescription at my web http://3DFlightSim.com