Sign in to follow this  
zorro747

panning in the cockpit (TrackIR)

Hello, colleagues!

I hope to get any advice from you regarding the matter. The matter: I am using TrackIR. When I turn my head in the cockpit the movement is smooth enough but the picture during motion is distorted and jerky. I don't know how to explain clear enough, but literally during the motion the picture is getting a bit out of focus. Very similar to when in real life shooting videos with a camera with no shutter speed set. Even though the motion itself is smooth.

Maybe you can tell me where should I dig for the solution how to achieve a better result?  I believe there should be some parameters to tweak in nvidia control panel or somewhere else... 

Who can help?

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

26 minutes ago, zorro747 said:

Hello, colleagues!

I hope to get any advice from you regarding the matter. The matter: I am using TrackIR. When I turn my head in the cockpit the movement is smooth enough but the picture during motion is distorted and jerky. I don't know how to explain clear enough, but literally during the motion the picture is getting a bit out of focus. Very similar to when in real life shooting videos with a camera with no shutter speed set. Even though the motion itself is smooth.

Maybe you can tell me where should I dig for the solution how to achieve a better result?  I believe there should be some parameters to tweak in nvidia control panel or somewhere else... 

Who can help?

If you are getting stutter, your system may not be coping with your current settings, turn on the FPS meter in dev mode and see what it reports. 

There is a good chance you are limited by CPU (Main thread).

ALSO if you click the mouse centre button and pan with the mouse does it still stutter ?

For tracking issues there are two possibilities

1. bad tracking and/or light interference
  2. CPU is overloaded

Regarding the first what does your TrackIR app display when NOT in game is the tracking smooth or do things flicker in and out and jump ?

Regarding the CPU I downloaded Process Lasso and set my trackir to Core 0 and Core 1 with real time priority and High IO priority and give the game the rest of the cores so the game does not double up on the same cores as TrackIR.

TrackIR works fine with this game when setup right, here are some recent clips I made using trackIR:  (note the occasional stutter is the OBS recording software not the game)

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

15 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Two possibilities

1. bad tracking and/or light interference
  2. CPU is overloaded

Regarding the first what does your tracir app display when NOT in game is the tracking smooth or do things flicker in and out and jump ?

regarding the CPU I downloaded Process Lasso and set my trackir to Core 1 and Core 1 with real time priority and High IO priority and give the game the rest of the cores so the game does not double up on the same cores as TrackIR.

The trackIR works fine. So you listed option 1 we may omit. 

I also use Process Lasso. I usually set my sim priority to high and uncheck the real priority upon sim startup. Watched somebody's video on youtube regarding that. But I have never thought about setting the trackIR there... Can you explain how to set to Core 1 etc procedure?  

P.P. Nice vid by the way

5 minutes ago, zorro747 said:

The trackIR works fine. So you listed option 1 we may omit. 

I also use Process Lasso. I usually set my sim priority to high and uncheck the real priority upon sim startup. Watched somebody's video on youtube regarding that. But I have never thought about setting the trackIR there... Can you explain how to set to Core 1 etc procedure?  

P.P. Nice vid by the way

Set the trackIR to real priority and the sim to something like High.

To set affinity, right click on TrackIr while running, select "CPU Affinity" and then select "Always" and enable and disable the cores by clicking on them. Do the same for the game executable but set the game to different cores to what you gave TrackIR .  This should eliminate TrackIR running out of CPU as an issue.

NOTE this will not help if your issues is actually your PC cannot handle your game settings and the stutter is due to the game being GPU or CPU bound.

29 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Set the trackIR to real priority and the sim to something like High.

To set affinity, right click on TrackIr while running, select "CPU Affinity" and then select "Always" and enable and disable the cores by clicking on them. Do the same for the game executable but set the game to different cores to what you gave TrackIR .  This should eliminate TrackIR running out of CPU as an issue.

NOTE this will not help if your issues is actually your PC cannot handle your game settings and the stutter is due to the game being GPU or CPU bound.

Thank you , Glenn!  Will try it in the evening.    

9 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Turn off Motion Blur in Graphics Settings. I find it horrible with Track IR and it on. 

yes, motion blur is off...

1 hour ago, zorro747 said:

Who can help?

It depends on what you are actually describing. If it is screen tearing, I have always understood the solution to be turning on vsync. But perhaps what you are reporting is the natural consequence of making extremely fast panning movements with TrackIR and a limited frame rate. It is a useful thought experiment to consider how the features move across the screen when you turn your head. For example, if I have a 24" screen and pan such that any feature in the VC moves from one side of the screen to the other, the image will move about 50cm (the width of the screen) in maybe a quarter of a second. With a frame rate of 30fps, that would mean with each frame the image moves about 7cm across the screen. That's as smooth as it's going to get unless you limit the panning speed. Try selecitng 'precise' mode, which slows things down and trades smoothness for speed.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Alter the track IR 'smoothness' setting, this will eliminate what you describe. 

Yes, that is also set

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

It depends on what you are actually describing. If it is screen tearing, I have always understood the solution to be turning on vsync. But perhaps what you are reporting is the natural consequence of making extremely fast panning movements with TrackIR and a limited frame rate. It is a useful thought experiment to consider how the features move across the screen when you turn your head. For example, if I have a 24" screen and pan such that any feature in the VC moves from one side of the screen to the other, the image will move about 50cm (the width of the screen) in maybe a quarter of a second. With a frame rate of 30fps, that would mean with each frame the image moves about 7cm across the screen. That's as smooth as it's going to get unless you limit the panning speed. Try selecitng 'precise' mode, which slows things down and trades smoothness for speed.

In my case, the movements are not fast. You can try an experiment. Turn your cell phone camera and pan around (of course if your cell phone is not one of the latest editions). Then watch your video and concentrate your sight on a certain area. While in motion you will notice that the area gets blurry or distorted. Something similar but most vividly happens to me in the cockpit.

15 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

And speed? 

and speed 🙂

42 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Have you tried Seth's Track IR Profile - tested and trusted by many over the years. . .

Get it here;

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/download/file.php?id=61&sid=3d1fe67553abf0e6f9978e65c849ff43

thank you! Will try that out. But in other games, such as IL2 Shturmovik TrackIR works pretty well. So, I think that it is the matter of nvidia tweaks or so.