Sign in to follow this  

20 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

I am assuming you are using default planes without any community patches?  In my experience, with the default and with my HW (2080 Super) the experience is barely sufficient.  Once the community patches are applied to the G1000, G3000 etc.  It's a stuttering slide show.  Until this sim got further than beautiful scenery, I will put it in the hangar for now.

I fly almost no default aircraft without community patches (G1000 G3000, WT CJ4, FBW A320).  I get very smooth performance with my mid-grade setup (I7 9700K, 2070super, Reverb G2).  If you are seeing a stuttering slideshow with your 2080 Super, I think you have not configured your system and MSFS well for VR play.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:30 PM, WebMaximus said:

For those not having acceptable performance in VR using less powerful hardware, check out VR Flight Sim Guy on YouTube.

Even when he recently got himself a very powerful PC, his previous PC was far from a beast. Still, he was able to enjoy VR in MSFS very much using the HP Reverb G2 (as well as some other HMDs).

I have watched his video and followed the setup with Quest 2.  Still stuttering for me.  More Google searches pointed to a less than optimal support for Oculus XR as steam users pointed out.  I think VR Flight Sim guy some early setup but now he is using the G2.  XP11.52 and P3Dv4.5 perform fine with my Quest 2 setup and Oculus Link.  My budget does not justify buying a G2 (850 CDN dollar+tax ~ 1000) just for Flight Sim.  That money will be better spent on getting a next Video Card.  I will try a few more things, but will juts left MSFS2020 VR alone until improvement for Oculus comes along then.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

30 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

I have watched his video and followed the setup with Quest 2.  Still stuttering for me.  More Google searches pointed to a less than optimal support for Oculus XR as steam users pointed out.  I think VR Flight Sim guy some early setup but now he is using the G2.  XP11.52 and P3Dv4.5 perform fine with my Quest 2 setup and Oculus Link.  My budget does not justify buying a G2 (850 CDN dollar+tax ~ 1000) just for Flight Sim.  That money will be better spent on getting a next Video Card.  I will try a few more things, but will juts left MSFS2020 VR alone until improvement for Oculus comes along then.

Sorry to hear you're not able to achieve an acceptable VR experience in MSFS but let's hope things will be better for you down the road 👍

Richard Åsberg

Turn hags on with latest drivers. It’s smoother, it’s also discussed over the official forums. 
I can concur it is smoother too. 

4 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Turn hags on with latest drivers. It’s smoother, it’s also discussed over the official forums. 
I can concur it is smoother too. 

Which driver are you using now @Ianrivaldosmith ?

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

11 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

You don’t specify what planes you are actually trying to use.  Naturally, the bigger they are, the more demanding they will be. Assuming your pc is as optimised as it can be, have you considered going smaller?  At least you get to have a great experience until such a time comes when you can begin to use the more complex aircraft, either through software optimisation or hardware upgrade, or both.  I currently consider the Cessna my limit in VR.

Personally, I have accepted that 90% of my hangar’s contents are off limits to me. But I look forward to them opening up as time goes on. And I’m totally fine with that, as I know that all of the bells and whistles that MSFS offers over and above the other sims do not come cheap. But I couldn’t even imagine going back to the ugliness of XP11 now.

Edited by Bilbosmeggins

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

5 hours ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

You don’t specify what planes you are actually trying to use.

I was using the default G36 with the various community mods.  I thought the same as you as even went to the XCub, same jittering issue.  MSFS2020 is excellent for GA and VFR.  For IFR I am waiting for 3rd Party plane, but then again until I know they perform well. 

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

5 hours ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

But I couldn’t even imagine going back to the ugliness of XP11 now

At the risk of starting a sim war 😉 in term of visuals, XP11 with Ortho4XP and some enhancements is decent.  The amount of planes with very good VR support and fly well there are currently much higher than they are in MSFS2020 atm.  In VR for flying high and procedures airliners P3Dv4.5-5 still rules atm.  Plus there are no seasons in MSFS2020.  If I have this VR issue in MSFS2020 beat, I will be using three sims for each type of flight 🙂 

Vu Pham

I know what you mean. Having said that, I spent a small fortune on Orbx True Earth products that made a huge difference. However, flying VFR was still very touch and go in places. And the VR experience I’m getting now in terms of smoothness still exceeds XP11.  If I were a flyer of airliners though, I would probably use XP11.

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Ok, so my saga with the Quest 2, for the moment the oculus openxr client implementation is pretty bad, I tried setting the Vertical sync as per https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/psa-fix-found-for-oculus-link-quest-frame-sync-stutters-and-asw-issues/340217.  I did an experiment with Steam VR and Virtual Desktop and it was definitely better until I started having weird artifacts, so I know that it was a client implementation issue by Oculus,  I can't justify buying the G2 atm, so back to XP11 and P3D4.5 for me for now.  Thanks all who have helped.

Vu Pham

6 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

At the risk of starting a sim war 😉 in term of visuals, XP11 with Ortho4XP and some enhancements is decent.  The amount of planes with very good VR support and fly well there are currently much higher than they are in MSFS2020 atm.  In VR for flying high and procedures airliners P3Dv4.5-5 still rules atm.  Plus there are no seasons in MSFS2020.  If I have this VR issue in MSFS2020 beat, I will be using three sims for each type of flight 🙂 

If XP11 gets an update with better lighting, ambient occlusion, shadows and modern textures/3d objects, it would be the best overall sim 

Those are the only things MSFS has over XP11...visuals imo

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

16 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

If XP11 gets an update with better lighting, ambient occlusion, shadows and modern textures/3d objects, it would be the best overall sim 

Those are the only things MSFS has over XP11...visuals imo

So, XP12 then..... I expect them to announce something like that this summer. 

10 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

So, XP12 then..... I expect them to announce something like that this summer. 

I hope Austin gives us either or soon!

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2