Sign in to follow this  
Malc

A320 NEO Landing ?

What has happened ? Just before touch down with the call out retard I close the throttles and the air craft will not touchdown in fact the throttles open and it takes off, I have obviously turned auto pilot off. I have been flying succesfully for months but since the update I have had this problem. It has now become so bad I am unable to enjoy the experience. Has any body else found this has been happening to them with the A320 ? I have tried different approach speeds and flap settings but it always happens. Can this be because ASOBO have tinkered with things ??

I flew the default A320 yesterday evening and it was OK.

I do it differently though: I cut the throttle manually at 30-40 ft and that disables the A/T too. I also flare before the voice tells me.

If the throttle increases it means that the A/T is still on and it tries to maintain the speed you have set.

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Yes I also chop the power at about 50 instead of waiting until hearing the 'Retard' call. Otherwise this thing tends to float forever.

• Like 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Thanks fellas, it's just that prior to the recent ASOBO upgrade I never had this problem. Ok I will try cutting the throttle early but to be honest that is not how it should be, I want the experience to be as life like as possible. I mean can you imagine a real pilot ignoring the call outs..

3 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

Yes I also chop the power at about 50 instead of waiting until hearing the 'Retard' call. Otherwise this thing tends to float forever.

Thing there Tom is that maybe I should keep the approach speed lower and maybe that would have a better effect on landing. Can you advise what touch down speed you use ? I usually use around 138. Can you go low as 130 or less even ? I realise a lot depends on weight but I am usually light as I put my fuel on a low setting as my trips are normally less than 300 miles.

6 hours ago, Malc said:

What has happened ? Just before touch down with the call out retard I close the throttles and the air craft will not touchdown in fact the throttles open and it takes off, I have obviously turned auto pilot off. I have been flying succesfully for months but since the update I have had this problem. It has now become so bad I am unable to enjoy the experience. Has any body else found this has been happening to them with the A320 ? I have tried different approach speeds and flap settings but it always happens. Can this be because ASOBO have tinkered with things ??

Are you using the FBW mod?  They fixed the issue apparently and I had no issues landing with their latest dev version. 

• Like 2

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

26 minutes ago, Malc said:

Thing there Tom is that maybe I should keep the approach speed lower and maybe that would have a better effect on landing. Can you advise what touch down speed you use ? I usually use around 138. Can you go low as 130 or less even ? I realise a lot depends on weight but I am usually light as I put my fuel on a low setting as my trips are normally less than 300 miles.

It depends on your weight, wind and its direction. You can use this to calculate the optimal approach speed simFMS | Approach speed & Descent profile calculator for flightsim (housemouse-s.github.io)

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

As an aside, there are times where your speed gets too low and the aircraft will automatically go to TOGA power and lock in TOGA for a certain amount of time, no matter what position your autothrottle / levers are in. This used to happen to me in the landing challenges where I'll try to butter the landing by floating to the marker and at a certain airspeed, regardless of the fact that I was 1 foot off the ground, I'd enter Alpha Floor and be forced to go around / fail the challenge, lol.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I usually slow right down to VAPP that is calculated on the approach page in the MCDU. This probably isn't that accurate though given that FBW haven't fully implemented the vertical performance stuff yet. It's usually somewhere in the region of 130-135kts. It's always going to float though, annoying but just the way it is at the moment I think. Ground effect is quite overdone generally in the sim right now IMO. If I manage to touch down by the last set of chevrons I'm doing well, thankfully the brakes are good! 🤣

Edited by Tom Wright
  • Upvote 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Thanks fellas, it's just that prior to the recent ASOBO upgrade I never had this problem. Ok I will try cutting the throttle early but to be honest that is not how it should be, I want the experience to be as life like as possible. I mean can you imagine a real pilot ignoring the call outs..

Actually, this is how it should be.  If you wait for the retard call, you will float.

go here:  http://www.airbusdriver.net/airbusnotes.pdf

read page: 112

• Upvote 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

22 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

I flew the default A320 yesterday evening and it was OK.

I do it differently though: I cut the throttle manually at 30-40 ft and that disables the A/T too. I also flare before the voice tells me.

If the throttle increases it means that the A/T is still on and it tries to maintain the speed you have set.

Previously the auto throttle disengaged when auto pilot was switched off and the speed held until retard. If I disconnect AT the speed hold does hold on ( until retard as it used to ) so that cannot be realistic IMO. I have been practising at touchdown speed 130 flaps 3 and it still floats. Not realistic at all. I have been informed that ASBO have altered the wind ground affects which makes sense but it's not realistic now.

5 hours ago, Malc said:

Previously the auto throttle disengaged when auto pilot was switched off and the speed held until retard. If I disconnect AT the speed hold does hold on ( until retard as it used to ) so that cannot be realistic IMO. I have been practising at touchdown speed 130 flaps 3 and it still floats. Not realistic at all. I have been informed that ASBO have altered the wind ground affects which makes sense but it's not realistic now.

I don't disconnect the A/T, I press F1 on the keyboard in order to set the throttle at zero. The A/T disengages, then I flare, the speed drops quickly to about 120 knots and the plane lands. 

I used the A320 today too and it behaved OK.