Sign in to follow this  
ceebee58

Future of FSX

On 3/22/2021 at 10:10 PM, FederFlyer said:

IBut software engineering clearly is a lesser investment.  Simply put, MSFS is bloated, very slow to load, the architecture is messy and the architecture varies between different versions.  It relies on a chain of user, internet connectivity, servers, and game services to function.  Any of those elements fail and everything fails, which seems to be a regular situation.  The most egregious issue is the weekly (or so) update that breaks things.  The allegation that they don't do proper testing before pushing updates would explain this.  If so, then it violates a core software development tenet that you don't use your paying customers as beta testers.  The most common fix is to uninstall all your addons, do the update, then re-install your addons.  Would any FSX user find that to be an acceptable approach?  And even when the forums are on fire with complaints and many users submit trouble tickets, the response from Asobo is silence.

This is a very good summation as to why I am sticking to FSX:SE on my current machine and when I finally build my next machine it will likely run P3D. From my perspective, I am much more at home using a sim that basically evolved from the original FSX platform in the sort of way that I reckon that original ACES team would have followed, versus the sort of "mass online gamer" route that its MSFS branch has taken. Though I am not a real world pilot and never will be, I also feel that P3D gives me a better and more solid platform to do things very "seriously", by the book and with my head buried in the real world manuals (or slightly amended versions thereof).

As for scenery it is abundantly obvious to anyone with eyes that MSFS blows anything before it well and truly away. However the funny thing is, it just doesn't matter to me. The ORBX scenery I have is well and truly good enough. Infact when I flew for real for the first time in 25 years (!!) back in 2018 and looked down out of the window from 15,000 ft, I was thinking to myself, well this really just looks the same as my ORBX, albeit a little bit sharper resolution and textures!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 3/26/2021 at 1:44 PM, charliearon said:

If the pissing contest does not stop......then the future of this topic is in doubt! :ph34r:

I'm glad you're watching this thread.  But do us a favor and get rid of the annoying posters and keep the topic as it is relevant to a lot of us.  As for the comment on including the age of posters, it's a good thought but not fool proof.  We also know age doesn't always determine maturity.  Let's face it, there will always be someone who wants to push their own personal opinion on the community.  Want proof?  Ask what security and/or anti-virus programs people use.  McAfee sucks, Norton sucks, use AVG...it never ends.  Thanks, Charlie.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

+1 to Charlie's comment.  Returning to the original topic ...

I used FSX until a took a hiatus circa 2014 due to workloads at my job.  At that time I was amazed that FSX was such an active and robust activity, with a variety of businesses continuing to make money supporting it, years after Microsoft stopped developing it.  That is uncommon.

About a year ago I returned to flight sims, tried a few and ended up with MSFS2020.  I experienced some frustrations with MSFS2020, so I thought, "Well, I liked FSX in the past, so let's give it a look."  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that FSX continues to be a very active and relevant activity.  Since I had upgraded my hardware for MSFS2020, I found that I can set all of the sliders to max and it runs butter smooth.  With the addition of ORBX global scenery it looks great.  I'm a happy FSXer.

Not everyone wants, or can afford to buy a Jaguar.  Well-appointed Fords remain popular.  I believe the FSX market will decline, but it will remain viable as long as people are continuing to buy it and also buying addons.  So what is the future of FSX?  It's whatever we want it to be.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, FederFlyer said:

+1 to Charlie's comment.  Returning to the original topic ...

I used FSX until a took a hiatus circa 2014 due to workloads at my job.  At that time I was amazed that FSX was such an active and robust activity, with a variety of businesses continuing to make money supporting it, years after Microsoft stopped developing it.  That is uncommon.

About a year ago I returned to flight sims, tried a few and ended up with MSFS2020.  I experienced some frustrations with MSFS2020, so I thought, "Well, I liked FSX in the past, so let's give it a look."  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that FSX continues to be a very active and relevant activity.  Since I had upgraded my hardware for MSFS2020, I found that I can set all of the sliders to max and it runs butter smooth.  With the addition of ORBX global scenery it looks great.  I'm a happy FSXer.

Not everyone wants, or can afford to buy a Jaguar.  Well-appointed Fords remain popular.  I believe the FSX market will decline, but it will remain viable as long as people are continuing to buy it and also buying addons.  So what is the future of FSX?  It's whatever we want it to be.

Completely agree with you, in these uncertain times i can't justify spending over £1000 for the latest GPU. I gave up chasing the technology game after the 20 series of cards came out. Whatever sim you use if you are happy with it then that's all that really matters. So will be sticking with FSX for quite some time to come.

With a few add ons you really can transform the experience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer