Sign in to follow this  
ceebee58

Future of FSX

Hello . I played around with FSX years ago but my computer was a bit underpowered so the bug left me. I now have a gaming PC and have purchased fsx steam. Am having good fun and the information available now e.g YouTube is staggering . I tried running P3D V5 but my set up (despite its Ryzen 7 and 16gb of RAM) just would not run consistently . My question is should I invest time and money in FSX or bite the bullet and just download 2020 ? I s there a future in FSX ?

there's no future in FSX, but It had a great past. I've set mine up with so many addon that looks great.Although I enjoyed it so much, I don't invest any more money in this one.

Now I use FSX exclusively for helicopter flights or GA type "Low and Slow" flights.

On the other hand, I use P3Dv4.5 for pre-training purposes and serious practices in airliners aircraft.

My next migration will definitely be for MSFS, in a new machine and waiting for it to grow a little more.

• Like 1

What's FSX?

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

23 minutes ago, edpatino said:

What's FSX?

Cheers, Ed

Something that had a thousand better add-ons that actually work well compared to MSFS which is 2-3 years away from maturing. 
I’m happy to continuing using it until that time. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Doug47 said:

Something that had a thousand better add-ons that actually work well compared to MSFS which is 2-3 years away from maturing. 

Burn.... 🔥

I do agree though, quite happy to stick with the encumbent till the upstart gains maturity.

Cheers R

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

My FSX future is a planned 3.8 hour flight tomorrow from KBJC - Rocky Mountain/Denver to KSJC - San Jose, California, as I follow the St Louis Blues NHL team on a road trip,  Flight will be in the Real Air TDv2, at 22,000 ft, with dual RXP GTN 750's.  I will not have to worry about an avionics/GPS lockup mid to late flight wasting my invested flight time.  I have yet to lose any time with FSX SE since I built a new system back in August. 

Cannot even come close to making that statement for MSFS, mostly due to G1000 lockups.  And MSFS weather, ATC, ATIS, and navdata are also considerably deficient.  I am logging about one-third of my flight hours with MSFS, but all for low and slow VFR sightseeing until very significant issues are addressed.  Correction, until those issues are remedied.  There is a difference.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, Doug47 said:

Don't take it badly, but I'm sometimes surprised by how many people are still sticking to FSX.

Back in Dec - 2014, I switched from FSX to P3D (by then, P3D v2.4) and to me it was really a good move, to find a lot more stable and fluid sim, with high degree of compatibility with the existing FSX add-ons, that thereafter evolved as a 64-bit platform who offered a definitive solution to the well-known out of memory errors caused by a 32-bit application when running complex add-ons. The same happened to those who switched to X-Plane. Needless to say that after my switch to P3D I never fired up FSX again.

In my case, even if MSFS is still immature, and certainly it is (only 6 months), I have to say that my enjoyment of this new sim is at a such high level, that after its installation I've fired up P3D only a hand full of times.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Hi Ceebee58

I notice that this is your first post and you're a new member. For that reason, I want to welcome you to the Avsim Forum. You should find a lot of helpful advice for any future questions you may have.

I noticed you have purchased FSX Steam Edition so I am assuming that your question is focused on that sim's future. I had the "boxed" edition of FSX Gold so I am not familiar with the Steam edition. 

If you are happy with the Steam edition fior now, and not planning to purchase any more new (recently developed) addons, then stay where you are until MSFS 2020 "matures". I personally believe that FSX boxed and Steam's future will be short-lived as many commercial developers have moved on to X-plane, P3D 4 & 5 and now MSF2020. Also, as you may well know, 64 bit sim programs have their advantage primarily no "OOM's".

Regarding your experience with P3D v.5, I recently left P3D 3.4xx for ver. 5.1 hf 1. You did not mention what video card you are using. I have an older Jetline sys. with a i7-6700K OC 4.6GHz, 16GB of Ram and an older GTX 1070 with 8GB of vram. I do not use 4k resolution and am able to run P3D v 5.1 fine with Orbx scenery. Once MSFS 2020 matures, I will probably will go that direction with my sim experience

Hope this helps!. 

I just got into FSX-SE last June after buying a Ryzen 5, RX-580 system which has room to improve by way of GPU and more Ram.

I have UTX, GEX, ASN, RXP GTN/GNS, and the full package CH control setup. Also a fleet of Accusim aircraft and a few pretty Carenado/Alabeo planes.

I can VFR around the region here based on my familiarity with the terrain if I wish. I'm usually to busy flying the planes. A2A planes can be flown that way.

I plan on GSX, Pilot2ATC, and a couple more hardcore aircraft addons. F1 B200 Ver. 2, Majestic Dash 8, Eaglesoft Citation, more A2A, and PMDG 737, 777, and 747 for sure.

And I can run all at full strength like I never could in FS9 20 years ago.

Thanks to all. I cant understand why P3D caused problems , I have ryzen 7 and a rsx GPU, may be me but cant get it to run. MSFS 2020 does look good but I want to make sure its not style over substance , I liked the idea of P3D as its purpose is a flight sim not a pretty xbox game on PC (or is that last statement ill informed ?)

26 minutes ago, ceebee58 said:

flight sim not a pretty xbox game on PC (or is that last statement ill informed ?)

Absolutely. MSFS it's not just a "game" , in a couple of years will be preferred flight simulator software for a majority of simmers.

FSX has always been word not allowed with stutters  scenery loading pauses near airports oom's flickering clouds/textures took forever to load on startup anyone claiming this was a great sim needs their head checked. Yeah they had PMDG A2A type aircraft that only took 5 years to get into the sim and you could not load any decent scenery with those products unless you wanted a sim crash. Now 2004 was another story.

There's still some things in FSX which other sims don't have. Here's just a few of them...

Various Captain sim stuff such as the 727, 707, B-52 and their Weapon add-on, the Dodosim Bell JetRanger, the SimCheck A300.

If you have MSFS, it's still worth having FSX too if you like converting add-ons for MSFS, because you need them installed in order to do that, and older FSX VCs usually convert better than P3D ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

14 hours ago, ceebee58 said:

I tried running P3D V5 but my set up (despite its Ryzen 7 and 16gb of RAM) just would not run consistently .

There must be something wrong in your setup. I switched from FSX-SE to P3D (well, version 4 actually) and I got better performance. People say V5 performance is even better. What's your exact video card model?

14 hours ago, ceebee58 said:

My question is should I invest time and money in FSX or bite the bullet and just download 2020 ? I s there a future in FSX ?

"Future" as in "new addons"? Practically no.
"Future" as in "will I stil enjoy FSX in a few years?" Hell yeah! There is a lot of brilliant addons for FSX that are still being sold (I hate when a developer withdraws a product from sale just because he wants to do so). Just be aware of OOMs (typical limitation of 32-bit sims) and you're good to go. For reference, I started simming in 2005 with FS9, and kept on purchasing FS9 addons until December 2019!

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.