Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

I don't know what to do with my G2...

Hi guys, I need help to decide if send it back to Amazon or keep it.

I bought the G2 after having seen many reviews and videos describing it as the consumer VR headset with the best image quality / pixel density, therefore the best for reading aircraft and car gauges. And this is certainly true when you look directly at them in the infamous "sweet spot" which for me - and I consider myself lucky because I read that for many people it's an area covering barely 5-10% of the FOV - is about 30-40% of the FOV. This is annoying though, I am sort of getting used to it but not quite... of course custom resolution and FS resolution scale are both at 100%.

There are mods on the market that put the eyes closer to the lenses but they improve rather the FOV than the "sweet area" and including the shipping cost to my country (UAE) they would cost me about 100 $.

The other thing is that I find it uncomfortable in terms of pressure on the cheekbones. I have to reposition it often to try distribute the weight on the forehead and top of my head instead. I read that it's one of the lightest headsets at 500 g and I wonder how would the 900 g Index feel... And with it comes the main dilemma, because this is the first and only headset I had the chance to try.

Maybe who owned different headsets can help me in this. So the real question is: would I be happier with another headset (which one? Rift S? Quest 2? Index? I watched many videos and the Q2 seems better than the Index, so why is it so cheap?) OR is the Reverb G2 actually the best and this is simply the status of VR in 2021?

I have 10 days to make a decision and I will certainly want to buy another one if I send it back, because now that I tried VR there's no way I will use my monitor for FS again... 🙂

Thank you for any opinions / suggestions.

Cheers

Edited by MrFuzzy

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I would recommend you to test other HMD somewhere (friends ect)
But i doubt you will see a hughe difference.

Since I've been in VR with the HTC Vive/HTC Vive Pro time, it wasn't a problem for me to buy the Index, simply because i never had to buy the whole Lighthouse tracking again, still use the tracking system from 2016.
Also the WAND controller I still use today preferably for FPS shooter with a gunmount.
The Index is not the most expensive system for nothing, it has the best tracking, the best controllers
and largest FOV. The G2 has adopted many things from the Index, lenses
and the headphones for example. Otherwise it just has a newer screen.

A friend of mine just got a G2, after two days he will send it back, not because the quality,
the quality is superb but he get ill very quick in VR, i tell him not to give up so fast 😉

good luck!

• Like 1

I didn't see much difference in the sweet spot between the G2 and Q2, I believe the G2 was even better at that.

The G2 has some quality of life problems but the sweet spot is not one of them IMO, it looks like the first guy who reviewed it on youtube came up with this, and everybody else followed.

Obvious question: did you set the IPD correctly?

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

40 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

I didn't see much difference in the sweet spot between the G2 and Q2, I believe the G2 was even better at that.

The G2 has some quality of life problems but the sweet spot is not one of them IMO, it looks like the first guy who reviewed it on youtube came up with this, and everybody else followed.

Obvious question: did you set the IPD correctly?

Yes, I fiddled with the IPD and tried different positioning and strap regulations... in these days the only thing I haven't tried is pouring sulfuric acid ino my eyes 🙂

I don't know, maybe I simply expected too much. I will find a way to try another headset, it's not easy with the covid issue though. Will let you know.

Thanks

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

It's pretty much a trade-off between different aspects when it comes to current VR headsets, imo. All headsets have some strong points but also weaknesses, and, at least for me, it ultimately comes down to what I think is most important to me. Personally, I think the most important thing for a VR headset to get straight is the resolution because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with a high FOV for example when I can't read what's in front of me because of low pixel density. This was what initially made me go back to 2D screen flying (I know). When I tried the Reverb G1 however I couldn't go back to 2D screens because it finally killed what made me go back (low resolution).

I have the G2 now myself coming from the G1 and it's even sharper. If you value resolution and clarity most, keep the G2. There is nothing better at the moment. Personally, I got used to the rather narrow sweet spot quickly. The Index for example has a wider FOV and a picture which is very good but not as clear as the G2, so if FOV is most important to you you might want to check that one out. I've never tried other headsets myself, but at least from what I know from research I don't see what new or different things other headsets than the one I've mentioned would bring to the table.

I guess it comes down to how much the smaller sweet spot bothers you. My advice would be if it bothers you a lot, try a different headset, in which case I think the Index would be a good fit for you. If you can give it some more time and become used to the smaller sweet spot like I did, keep it.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

pouring sulfuric acid ino my eyes 🙂

That wouldn't improve things, probably.
With these things there is also an ergonomics variable, what looks perfect for someone, could look awful to someone else because of the different eye positioning and spacing, face shape and whatnot.
It's new tecnology and it will improve in the next years.

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

I have owned the Rifts CV1, used it for years, I purchased and return the Rift S, improvement over CV1 wasn't worth the cost, and, I now own and use the G2.  The Rift S was not as comfortable as the G2 for me.  I have found the G2 to be very comfortable for my head shape and well worth the small tradeoff concerning the FOV.  Each person defines acceptable comfort differently, but, again for me the G2 is much more comfortable than the previous Rift variants.  As you know clarity is excellent.  

Hope this information is helplful.  Good Luck.......

• Like 1

Danny

It’s a result of MSFS2020 foveat rendering as opposed to the headset. In x plane 11 there’s a huge sweet spot. It’s amazing. 

Keith Sandford.