Sign in to follow this  
TrafficPilot

Your recommendations for challenging short-strips?

Will Fly For Cheese

Just flown in to Marsh Court from Popham. Very windy in live weather so a bit of a challenge to keep the strip in view during the circuit.

And then the trees...I thought MSFS may be overdoing the tree height again and on comparison (see below) they do appear thicker and taller than in real life.

Excellent strip for STOL/short strip practice :)

imgexec-5325.jpg

Screengrab.jpg

• Like 1

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

8 minutes ago, TrafficPilot said:

Will Fly For Cheese

Just flown in to Marsh Court from Popham. Very windy in live weather so a bit of a challenge to keep the strip in view during the circuit.

And then the trees...I thought MSFS may be overdoing the tree height again and on comparison (see below) they do appear thicker and taller than in real life.

Excellent strip for STOL/short strip practice 🙂

imgexec-5325.jpg

Screengrab.jpg

Well Done and Well Done again!

Absolute bugger isn't it?

I actually (real World) drove passed this place before attempting it in the sim - I only live a few miles from here - and the trees are Elms and Beeches and they are massive at either end.

Like I said - you've got to be well at the back of the curve for Speed/ Approach, etc.

But if you landed okay, and lived to tell the tale you've done excellently and well done again!

You'll never have to test your bravery in any other way. Go straight to the top of the STOL Class.

16 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Well Done and Well Done again!

Absolute bugger isn't it?

I actually (real World) drove passed this place before attempting it in the sim - I only live a few miles from here - and the trees are Elms and Beeches and they are massive at either end.

Like I said - you've got to be well at the back of the curve for Speed/ Approach, etc.

But if you landed okay, and lived to tell the tale you've done excellently and well done again!

You'll never have to test your bravery in any other way. Go straight to the top of the STOL Class.

Ha! Thank you sir! The landing was a little "firm" and I bounced once (which is easy to do with these Tonka Toy tyres:). That was the third attempt after doing two low level passes. I have flown tail-draggers (Cub/Decathlon) in real life but most of my 1500 hrs is with a nosewheel. At least landing on grass I'm less likely to come to grief on the roll-out. The taildraggers friend!

• Like 1

FSUK.jpg

8 hours ago, TrafficPilot said:

That's an impressive take-off! How much flap were you using?

Started the roll with 0.   Then threw the lever all the way just before I slammed the tail down.

(I have a control mapping for Stupid STOL Tricks that puts my flaps on an extra axis on my throttle so I can go from 0 to full with one swipe.)

It exceeds your length specification at a little over 1500', but I was having a lot of fun today at MMYV.   It's nestled halfway up a canyon slope in Mexico, in a little saddle, completely hidden behind a ridge from one direction, with trees close on one end, and a mountain close on the other making go-around daunting.   And it's over a mile high to boot.   Getting it in there takes some care.

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 1

AYIN Busimil

Latitude: 
04-54-59.76S (-4.9166)
Longitude: 
141-09-17.28E (141.1548)
Elevation: 
5450 feet MSL (1661 m MSL)
Magnetic Variation: 
3.6 E (as of March 2021 from WMM2020 model)
Time Zone: 
UTC +10.0 (Standard Time)
UTC +10.0 (Daylight Savings Time)

That was quite scary. Beautiful weather for it ;) Were those pigs on the runway threshold?!

FSUK.jpg

Here's one I discovered this week.   MM03, or at least that's how it's identified in the sim, is an 800' patch of dirt on the side of a mountain in a jungle with constricted terrain on every side.   It's one of those where if you feel like you're about to have a CFIT on final you're doing it right.  Had to haul a heavy batch of phones in there for NeoFly and try not to break them with a hard landing, it had me sweating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2nco, Mountain air airport on top of a mountain and beautiful scenery and mod. I also like KCDk, George Lewis airport. Relatively short runway and nice airport at flightsim.to. Also the Scillys mod has a tiny runway as well.