Sign in to follow this  
Hamilton_

Axis calibration via P3D control assignments or FSUIPC?

Dear friends,

I´ve just received my Fulcrum , and I would like to know if you use (prefer) Axis calibration using P3D (or MSFS) control assignments or via FSUIPC? 

I thank you in advance,

Hamilton

Edited by hmuller

Hamilton Müller

I assigned the axes directly in MSFS, without deadzones or special curves. The buttons took some time since I use the right 2 buttons as shift- or combo buttons, so I can assign more functions to the POV and other buttons.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

20 minutes ago, hmuller said:

I´ve just received my Fulcrum , and I would like to know if you use (prefer) Axis calibration using P3D (or MSFS) control assignments or via FSUIPC? 

I have no preference as either is fine. For the time being I am using the standard calibration in P3d, Xplane and MSFS but that is mostly for conveniece. When I get back to some serious simming I suspect I will revert to FSUIPC where possible.

The key thing for me is making sure the on screen yoke matches the physical yoke. To do this in p3d or xplane means no deadzone and full sensitivity and fully linear. In MSFS this is a bit different as there seems to be some sort of acceleration on the axes. If you leave it full linear then they do not match in movement and I adjusted it until they match 1:1.

I have not got FSUIPC for MSFS yet so cannot comment on that but will grab a copy and do some testing.

Chris

• Like 2

Thanks Chris and Orchestra_nl!  By the way Chris, very good product! 👍

Rgds,

Hamilton

• Like 1

Hamilton Müller

Thanks!

Having read through the fsuipc7 manual it doesn't matter which way you do it if you just want basic controls although it does say the fsuipc method is more direct. I tried both ways and in either, if I use a linear setting then I do not get 1:1 movement between yokes. This is clearly an MSFS issue with controllers having a hidden curve that you have to compensate for by setting the plus and minus curves on roll to 50. Elevator seems fine though.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Do you mind sharing your test results please for those of us less thechno minded lol

Dave

3 hours ago, davenicoll said:

Hi Chris,

Do you mind sharing your test results please for those of us less thechno minded lol

Dave

Hi Dave

I have found that within MSFS you need to compensate for the movement of the yoke in the roll axis by changing the sensitivity curves. If you do this then you end up with a 1:1 movement of the yoke on screen and the real yoke in your hands. It doesn't matter if you use MSFS or FSUIPC, if the control sensitivity is fully linear then you do not get a 1:1 movement between the yoke on screen and the physical one.

As there is no profile for the yoke in the sim yet you have to manually configure this. I have added a guide to the support page of the website showing what we find works best in MSFS although this is obviously a personal choice.

https://fulcrumsim.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/MSFS-settings.pdf

On 4/14/2021 at 9:21 PM, tutmeister said:

In MSFS this is a bit different as there seems to be some sort of acceleration on the axes.

Thanks, you confirmed the feeling I had trying to adjust the Joystick while waiting for your awesome yoke to arrive.
I noticed this mainly on the roll calibration of the A320, up to halfway the Joystick moves linearly then suddenly accelerates and this leads to significant inclinations of the aircraft.
By decreasing the sensitivity it improves but I don't like it very much.

I ended up with 40% by trial and error so good to see I was on the right track.  I have reset it to 50% as per your pdf.

The default calibration is very odd, I suspect they are assuming everyone is using light weight short throw combat joysticks.

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I ended up with 40% by trial and error so good to see I was on the right track.  I have reset it to 50% as per your pdf.

The default calibration is very odd, I suspect they are assuming everyone is using light weight short throw combat joysticks.

That or possibly for the Saitek/Logitech/CH yokes with only 45 degrees travel each direction. I have no idea they haven't allowed it to be truly linear yet. Even set at 50% there's some oddities around the 'acceleration' point.