Sign in to follow this  
jon b

Just flight BAe 146

1 hour ago, dbw1 said:

As a retired pilot, 40 years worth, who started flying in the 1970s when GPS was unknown

I liked reading your account - I started flying airliners (737 Classics) much later in the mid 90s and we didn´t have GPS - but pretty reliable IRS units with DME updating, nav error was usually under 0.1 NM, unless going somewhere east where they didn´t have many DMEs (like Russia).

I think doing "old school" navigation (I learned about Loran C and Omega, just never used those) is fun and a challenge, however I can understand the desire to add modern equipment even to vintage aircraft. If you want to fly your aircraft in todays ATS environment you need to be able to take part in 8.33kHz, RVSM, RNP procedures yada yada yada... and folks like to take their shiny new purchase up on VATSIM or some other online network and join in.

So kudos for providing that extra piece of equipment - I would consider it a "bonus" though, not something that "must" be included.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Janov said:

I liked reading your account - I started flying airliners (737 Classics) much later in the mid 90s and we didn´t have GPS - but pretty reliable IRS units with DME updating, nav error was usually under 0.1 NM, unless going somewhere east where they didn´t have many DMEs (like Russia).

I think doing "old school" navigation (I learned about Loran C and Omega, just never used those) is fun and a challenge, however I can understand the desire to add modern equipment even to vintage aircraft. If you want to fly your aircraft in todays ATS environment you need to be able to take part in 8.33kHz, RVSM, RNP procedures yada yada yada... and folks like to take their shiny new purchase up on VATSIM or some other online network and join in.

So kudos for providing that extra piece of equipment - I would consider it a "bonus" though, not something that "must" be included.

Cheers, Jan

Janov, greetings,

I did quite a few years of rotary wing before switching to fixed wing permanently in the mid 1990s.....Loran was used on the coast before gps was available. Occasionally I'd put harbour pilots (30+ miles out) on ships and the Loran made life so much easier when the viz  was poor. 

I'll try out the 146 demo and see what I think. Had a chance to do a few jump seat trips on the 146 and it seemed like a nice place to be. Did the odd jump seat on a 732 and 727 going into shorter gravel strips to get to the helicopter ......northern Canadian flying many years ago. Mins at time were just a number on a plate, if there was a plate.

After I went to fixed wing I spent time in a HS748 going all over the eastern arctic, ndb approaches with the older adf where you dialed the freq like an AM radio till you got the right ident. I had a couple great captains who excelled as teachers which gave me a decent foundation. One spot at the time was 2900' gravel (CYXP) up a fiord a few miles.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dbw1 said:

After I went to fixed wing I spent time in a HS748 going all over the eastern arctic

Incredible! My experience with arctic airports is from about 39.000 feet above them - hoping that I never have to go down there with a fire or something like that. We practiced landing in BGSF in the simulator and Goose Bay or Iqaluit were also fair game, but other airports as BGBW or BGKK were merely "last ditch" diversion fields for our 744s.

1 hour ago, dbw1 said:

After I went to fixed wing I spent time in a HS748 going all over the eastern arctic, ndb approaches with the older adf where you dialed the freq like an AM radio till you got the right ident

😂😂 Ha you’ve just reminded me of those ADF tuners in the 748, I think my brain must have purged them from my memory I’d completely forgotten about them.

I know we’ve spoken before about the 748 so I know we share an interest in that old style of flying. I’m absolutely certain you will love this new 146 on either platform. I spent yesterday afternoon doing the procedural ILS and go-arounds in IMC at Glasgow, hand flown on raw data with the FDs off. Quite sublime and quite a mental workout.

The aircraft has a great set of large IFR instruments, I suppose it was at the pinnacle traditional analog IFR flightdecks just before EFIS and FMCs started to appear. You’ve got a great RMI with ADF or VOR needles and  dual DME read outs,and the split function allows you to set up a VOR radial ready on the FO  HSI then flip it across to the left HSI by a quick flip of a switch.

Most importantly for hand flown IFR work the aircraft seems realistically very stable , so you can look away at something for a couple of seconds (I use VR) and you don’t look back to find you’ve climbed 300ft , she stays where you left her, within reason. It’s fairly stable on speed as well but if needed you can pull the speed brakes fully  out on this thing and because of its clamshell design  it doesn’t  effect pitch.

Don’t take my word for it try the demo first but I’m convinced it’s right up your street.

53 minutes ago, Janov said:

We practiced landing in BGSF in the simulator and Goose Bay or Iqaluit were also fair game, but other airports as BGBW or BGKK were merely "last ditch" diversion fields for our 744s.

We did a couple of sim routines over the years taking the 744 into BGSF, I was always glad to see that place slip off the back of the ND in real life ! 
The other bolt hole you may remember when going way up North was the American base at Thule ,BGTL. It was normally around -40C but it probably had a macdonalds like most USAF bases. We went right over the top once and called the tower to say hello ,... they didn’t sound too happy.

• Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Greetings again, Jon B & Janov,

Never got to Thule. Would like to have seen it....once, lol. Was based out of Iqaluit for the better part of a year doing medivacs with a Beech 200, month in, month out. Did all of Baffin Island and sometimes Resolute. Got over to Sondre Strom and Nuuk from time to time....interesting approaches.

The people on Greenland were some of the nicest people I've ever met. We once did a charter with the king air to Sondre Strom(sp?) to pick up the Greenland president/prime Minister?? and a few cabinet ministers. SAS would come into Sondre from Europe as it had a 9000+' runway and then we flew them to Nuuk (3100' on the side of a high hill) as the Greenland Air king air was not available. Nice people. You'd never guess they held the positions they did. They sent up back to Iqaluit with some beer and wine...which Canada Customs made us pay duty on. This is back in the late 1990s +/-.

There is a fire suppression version of the 146 I would have like to get my hands on. I did some years of fire suppression with the CL215  and the cessna310 birddog so I know a little of fire flying. The 146 looked like a great aircraft to be doing drops with. I have wondered if while doing the drop you could open the clamshell some for some drag, have the engines already spooled up and be in good shape if you got a surprise. Never talked with anyone who has flown it on fires to find out. The pic in my posts is in a CL215. 

I will look forward to the demo.

• Like 1

I still wonder how pilots would know where they were, or if today they could even figure out where they were if the GPS system suddenly added a 50ms delay and positioning was wrong.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about today's pilots. Most learned from day one with gps. When I did the medivacs on Baffin the company had an astro compass onboard the aircraft and they taught me how to use it. Was never a rocket scientist with it but with practice i was okay. Picked up an old one at a gun show a few years ago and now have it in my den. Don't know if you can still get tables for it.

A few places I’m flying over at the moment are jamming GPS signals

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

On 5/1/2021 at 9:45 PM, mjrhealth said:

You will notice that people come here fir no other reason but to vent, some people need a life.

...and some ahem,..people, writing comments like yours just love to bait and also need to get a life. 😉

1 hour ago, Tailwinds said:

...and some ahem,..people, writing comments like yours just love to bait and also need to get a life. 😉

Bait, only bait when you are fishing, dont need to here the fish are jumping out if the water, but yes it upsets some because its true. And its because I have a life I dont need to complain Im happy with what I get. Old school.

6 hours ago, jon b said:

A few places I’m flying over at the moment are jamming GPS signals

Yes, I deal with that, too (flying to Beirut and Cairo, for example). Fortunately I never had a case of that, but we are getting warnings about GPS being unreliable in that region. It is even more hard to be prepared for that and suspicious of your "green line" (I wish it was magenta, still) when normally the world on your ND can be taken as gospel.

I flew past Thule on the NORTHERN side of it once - on our way from EDDF to CYVR. Bad winds further south, so they made us go all the way to N80. Thule´s directional info is all in "true", because magnetic field is going mostly "straight down" in that region and mag var changing rapidly.

I remember droning back to Europe in the middle of the night, somewhere off the southern tip of Greenland. A guy comes on the interpilot freq and asks is someone can relay a position report to Gander Radio for him. A friendly US pilot obliges, and the position report goes something like this "N34225, 7000 feet, N56W44 at 0143, ..." so we are all: "7000 feet? What is your type of aircraft?" He replies in a calm voice: "Oh, its a PA28". Turns out he is ferrying small aircraft to Europe, has to take off with the last light in Goose Bay or so, just so he can land during the day in Ireland. Silence on the radio for a minute, then that US pilot says: "Well, you gotta have XXX the size of Grapefruit".😅

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

Triple post???

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Submitting a post seems to have suffered a glitch this morning :dry: Can a moderator please remove these two pointless ones?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 4/30/2021 at 7:29 AM, jarmstro said:

If the plane is intended to replicate older models before they were retro fitted with an FMC then why include the default XP FMC at all? Or at least include an option to omit it? Clearly this isn't the case and as the FMC is fundamental to the model the default one just isn't good enough.  

For those XP users who desperately want to fly a detailed 146 with FMC, and are not bothered about waiting a bit longer for a custom unit?

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png