Sign in to follow this  
Misterjerk

New to FS2020 - Attach 3 Joystick

Hi all,

I just purchased 2020 and am so excited about it. I played FSX a lot maybe 10 years ago and this is such an improvement.

I have the older logitech attack 3 joystick, which looks a lot like the 3D without the yaw controls. 

I have tried to set it up in the control settings, and for some reason I can barely control the planes, it seems like there is a massive delay in response causing the aircraft to waver all over the horizon.

Any tips to get this working, after almost 2 hours of messing around I am no closer to resolution.

thanks

How does it respond in Windows calibration?  IE is it "laggy" there as well?  Maybe it's time for a new joystick.

Or perhaps a setting in the sim.  Is your Flight Model set to Modern or Legacy?  Should be on Modern for default aircraft.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I had one of these too.  It was hopeless in MSFS so had to replace it with the Airbus stick (which is a 1000% improvement BTW.

The only way I could use the Attack 3 was with -98% sensitivity in the aileron and elevator axes and even then it was too twitchy to flare properly.

I wasted a lot of time with external calibration tools as well none of which seemed to make any difference.

I think joystick technology has come a long way since we bought our Attack 3s but I've been enjoying MSFS a lot more since I got the new one.

I may try using my old stick as a secondary controller to control the drone as I don't think the sensitivity issue will be too much of a problem there.

Give up on the attack 3 stick mate it will cause you hours of grief.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

14 hours ago, Misterjerk said:

Picked up the airbus stick, works awesome right out of the box!

Same for me. It's an excellent controller and I feel it's well worth the £65 I paid (many sticks are a lot more expensive).  The addon throttle quadrant is quite expensive though.

I changed most of the buttons though so that the trigger is used for brakes and the button above for the parking brake.  I also changed the hat settings so that forward is reset view and the two side settings are now scrolling the views from right to left rather than snap to view.

Can't fault the stick and hope it lasts as long as the Attack 3 did.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

just a heads up. some people who fly helicopters like to do the cable tie spring mod to them so the stick doesn't re centre as abruptly, but unfortunately it has a very small software deadzone right in the very centre which can affect flight. It can't be removed via settings etc.

For normal plane flying the stock joystick is great 🙂

1 hour ago, cianpars said:

and the two side settings are now scrolling the views from right to left rather than snap to view.

are you saying that it is a smooth panning motion?  If so, I would love to know what that key bind is called.  I only get snap.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, Brandon01110 said:

are you saying that it is a smooth panning motion?  If so, I would love to know what that key bind is called.  I only get snap.

Cockpit Look Left & Cockpit look Right for the left and right switches.  Reset Cockpit View for the up button and I use Cockpit quickview Rear for the down button (as I can't seem to find the setting that will stick).

Lucky, I read your post just as I was loading up MSFS and had all the settings to hand.  What suits me, may not suit you though - I think it's a personal preference, but I much prefer pan to snap.