Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Hercules...over Rio...

OK, I probably got your attention with my title...🙂...but, there is some truth to this title. About the legendary C-130 Hercules, I was reading, today, an on-line article, which started like this, "Who wanted to build a stubby turboprop cargo aircraft at the dawn of the jet age?"...Well...that was no other than the legendary aircraft maker that may not have sustained its commercial line aircraft production, but, surely, in addition to its prestigious (modern) line of fighter jets, their Constellation and Tristar will be forever remembered, in the annals of aviation, as two of the most iconic and most elegant airliners, ever been produced by any airplane maker...!

When the Hercules prototype flew for the first time on Aug 23, 1954, it was evident that Lockheed had forged something timeless...an (innovative) aircraft, for its times, that could lift-off after a roll of just ~850 feet, compared to ~5,000 feet typically, then, required for most aircraft of that size. Over full six decades of service (the longest continuously operating military aircraft production line in history), the plane, with its nearly 70 different variants, has proved its worth, and continues to be in production even to this day, though, the improved C-130J Super Hercules, being the only model currently produced.

I've not thought of (or flown) this SIM for a long while, but, recently, there were a couple of posts here about the Fry's Electronics, and that somehow reminded me that the Captain Sim C-130 Hercules, was, in fact, among of the first few Box DVDs (if not the first) that I'd purchased from Fry's, years ago. However, during my break from SIM, of 4-5 years, I lost that DVD. Then, during last year, prompted by a nice (and illuminating) post, here, from a former (RW) C-130 Crew, about the CS C-130, I repurchased this CS Classic (this time "Digital Download"...!)...I got the C-130 "All-in-One" package, which, it says, contains 18 of the most popular C-130 variants, including the curious "Float" version. I'd never flown the (Float) C-130 (CS) Hercules (designation CL-130, as opposed to LC-130, which is the Ski variant), and, hence, thought, that would make for an interesting (virtual) flight, especially, having been lately flying around some of my Float Cubs and Cessnas...🙂...so, here, we go,...please do take a look at those massive floats lifting off the waters of Guanabara Bay in Rio...heading from north to south...staying clear of the dangers from the adjacent land-masses, just past the famous Sugarloaf Mountain (Side Note: Supposedly, the mountain is so named due to its resemblance to the traditional shape of concentrated refined loaf sugar...And, I thought sugar always came in granulated and cube forms...but, this is indeed the shape, sugar was produced and sold up until late 19th century...)...

In a couple of the close-up shots, of the Float Hercules, please notice the (simulated) external mounting (4 on each side) of the solid-fuel JATO (JET ASSISTED TAKE-OFF SYSTEM) units of 1000 pounds thrust each, which, in RW operations, can supply additional thrust when it is desired to shorten the take-off distance.

For completeness, I've also shown a few shots of a wheeled C-130 (fictional "Misty Air Charters") on take-off from Rwy 02R, and, on approach and landing into Rwy 20L of Rio/SBRJ Airport (the LOC DME Rwy 20 approach e.g. consists of tracking first the eastward 120 degrees radial from CAX (VOR) at 4,000', then at D7.0 (CAX), turning southward along 160 degrees, to finally catch the 196 degrees radial of IRJ (VOR), into this Rwy)...needless to admit, this bulky and cumbersome giant of a plane, with its rudimentary autopilot (see screenshot), proved quite a handful, to maneuver, for this virtual pilot...🙂...(please allow my fantasy, here), and do notice, btw, the Hwy {101} Rio–Niterói Bridge, crossing Guanabara Bay, on the final approach path to Rwy 20. Until 1985, it was the world's second-longest bridge (now 48th as of 2020). Also, you may note in the screenshot (which shows the plane just over this bridge), at top RHS corner of that image, the famous Corcovado (hunchback) mountain, with a hint, on its top, of the amazing Cristo Redentor Satue. I'll see if I can show a close-up of the Statue, in another post.

I finally wish to note that I've, here, got to acquire and enjoy the excellent and well-known add-on (I'd heard/read about it before), from Paulo Ricardo, of Rio De Janeiro Airport (SBRJ), so, thanks to Mr. Ricardo, for getting me a closer look at this beautiful World Heritage city, though, only in my virtual world. My familiarity is clearly growing about this unique city, as they say, shaped from the mountains and the seas, scenically and curiously nestled between Guanabara Bay and the vast Atlantic Ocean. For SBRJ, notice e.g. how the Sugarlaof Mountain, lies directly along the (south-extending) track of the Rwy 20, also visible in one shot. I expect to show you a few more images of the city, in a subsequent post.

Hope you enjoy these (below) images, of this classic plane, flying over this classic city which has a rich history of its own, just as the plane does....! It was good fun...!

Good flying, yourselves...!!

[CS (C-130/CL-130), Paulo Ricardo (SBRJ)]

2XcBD2.png

MoOy6f.png

qRnf3u.png

E0C0dX.png

2E1lKa.png

KTBY0J.png

vWgU25.png

KBCgRl.png

evtXGc.png

YuDdQl.png

nsdEHB.png

He958t.png

DNzvfH.png

hiTzs4.png

OHAXJO.png

wopZQ0.png

bDA7tp.png

bDv1gs.png

H340Z8.png

ZwQWhE.png

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 7

Lovely stuff, P. That CS 130 package was one of the first aircraft addons I bought when I started getting in to this lark a few years (not that many, maybe 5 or 6) ago. I think I managed to get it working in P3D, probably v2 and.or v3, but I seem to recall it got a bit out of sync with v4. I think when LM included it as a basic model in P3D I at least got to use all the repaints from the CS set with the new one. And similarly with the PR Rio package. Always thought that was well impressive.

I'd really like to see a good CS-130 package for MSFS, preferably the early models.The modern 'super-Hercules' doesn't quite have the right look to my mind. Got a couple of nice books on the Hercules - a very impressive performer indeed.

Nice post!

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Great looking shots! 

• Upvote 1

HP Omen Obelisk Gaming Computer, Intel Core i7-9700, Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 System Memory 4.7GHz 8 cores, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super Graphics with 8GB GDDR6 memory, PSU 750 watts, 1TB hard drive, Samsung T7 2TB SSD, 512 GB SSD, WD 5TB HDD,  Logitech HOTAS X52 Pro Joystick, AOC 27" monitor,

21 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Lovely stuff, P. That CS 130 package was one of the first aircraft addons I bought when I started getting in to this lark a few years (not that many, maybe 5 or 6) ago. I think I managed to get it working in P3D, probably v2 and.or v3, but I seem to recall it got a bit out of sync with v4. I think when LM included it as a basic model in P3D I at least got to use all the repaints from the CS set with the new one. And similarly with the PR Rio package. Always thought that was well impressive.

I'd really like to see a good CS-130 package for MSFS, preferably the early models.The modern 'super-Hercules' doesn't quite have the right look to my mind. Got a couple of nice books on the Hercules - a very impressive performer indeed.

Nice post!

Andy, appreciated the notes...!

In my opinion, it was CS's one of the best (and most complete) outputs....also, glad you, too, think/recall it as one of your very first aircraft add-ons...the CS C-130 DVD, that I'd purchased from the Fry's, had an impressive shot of the plane on the cover...hard to forget...🙂...

BTW, when I re-purchased it, last year, as I've indicated above, it was triggered by a P3D post, here, only...since, I have been, exclusive FSX-SE for now, I'd thought, if it it works in P3D, it should surely work on FSX-SE, eventhough CS marks it for "FSX" only, on their website, and, for complex add-ons, as you know, the transition between "FSX" and "FSX-SE" is not always transparent. though, It works very well for me, as far as I know,...

But, I could not be sure of the P3D version, of the post I'd seen...you can check...or let me know...I can dig up the details, since I'd actually used, that time, a P3D repaint of the Lynden L-100 variant (the first RW civilian livery, I'd come across).....I'd even taken to Antarctica....🙂....and posted, here, about it too....Agree, the appeal of the earlier C-130 models remains high for me, though CS has modern instrumentation in their models too, if I recall correctly...so, keep your hopes high for a MSFS version of this Classic, it may take a bit of time, but will come...

Thanks again...!

18 hours ago, Alaska738 said:

Superb shots!

34 minutes ago, admbar said:

Great looking shots! 

Alaska738 and Adam:

Appreciated the kind words...when I (finally) lifted off the waters, with this behemoth, skirting between the encroaching land-masses on either side,...🙂..., it did impress me too...always an exciting moment, if you're not a RW pilot...and, of course, here, I'd no worry about running short of Rwy....🙂...(BTW, the SBRJ take-off with the Misty Air Charter was another matter and a bit tricky...🙂...it has a ~ 4,000 feet Rwy, and, I barely made it off...)...

• Like 1