Sign in to follow this  
mikealpha

MSFS doesn't launch anymore after update

On 5/25/2021 at 3:21 PM, jarmstro said:

Here's a quote by Chock from a while back regarding what may be the issue. Sorry I don't know how to post a direct link.

Okay, found a solution to it. The problem is Microsoft's Gaming Services getting stuck in an update loop, and since it is part of the Windows system you can't easily reinstall it to sort things out, so if anyone else is having this problem (and apparently lots of people are since there is a big thread on it on the MSFS forums) the solution is as follows:

Open your Registry Editor then go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section, then to SYSTEM then to Current Control Set then to Services. In that bit you will find two things - Gaming Services and Gaming Services.Net - delete both of those two things completely and then restart your pooter. Sorted.

OMG, thank you so much for posting this. I've been going crazy for three days now and missed a weekend of MSFS. It's working again.

Intel I7 6700k @ 4ghz, nVidia 3070ti 8gb, 16 gb ddr4 @ 1066mhz,  500 ssd, 2tb hdd, 2tb ssd, ASUS z170-E mb, Samsung 24" @ 1920x1080, P3D 5.4, MSFS

3 hours ago, abarter said:

OMG, thank you so much for posting this. I've been going crazy for three days now and missed a weekend of MSFS. It's working again.

Hi. Good that you are back up and running. I would be interested to know whether this fix causes GamingServices to be correctly reinstalled or whether it's permanently disabled? Have the registry entries re appeared? 

in other words what does GamingServices actually do?

I'm having the same issue here... Will try the registry fix but not feeling really comfortable with this.

Edit: I can confirm it worked for me as well

Edited by mvdb

For me the problem was one addon payware scenery that was shutting down the sim. I removed the entire Community folder, let the sim generate another on  during startup and then started populating the new Community folder from the now "Community Old" folder till i found the offending scenery. Reinstalled it and the sim would not start then removed it and all was well. PITA. Developer, who shall remain nameless, claims I am an rare case.

Go to the Microsoft Store and look for XBox App. Beware, you also see XBox game pass for pc, XBox Game Pass Ultimate, XBox Game Pass Console and XBox Game Pass Series X! Download and open the app; Microsoft Flight Simulator should show up.Click on it once and it will fill up the main screen. Now return to the Microsoft Store, upper righthand corner click on the three dots and choose downloads and updates. Your MSFS should show up and you're ready to update.

Edited by jeanco
changed text a bit

I followed van Duck’s suggestion, but refreshed the gamingservices as follows: right click on the Windows logo- apps and features-search for gameservices-one left click-advanced options-reset-confirm and you are ready! Thanks very much van Duck, I also saved this solution on my pc. Was I relieved!!!