Sign in to follow this  
sunny_in_the_sky

How can I prevent Logitech brakes skidding upon landing?

Hello,

How do flight simmers deal with the fact that there is a different pedal for each brake? Not sure if my Logitech Rudder Pedals sensitivity is set too high, but if there is the smallest difference in the amount of pressure I apply onto the brakes, then my plane will go skidding into one direction or another, as I am trying to slow down after landing. For that matter, I don't understand how real pilots deal with it either.

Is there a way to lock them both into applying pressure simultaneously. Is this limited by model, or a global setting in P3Dv5? Thanks!

An airplane will constantly vee left and right on rollout due to wind, pavement,propeller effect etc...., so you will need constantly adjust on rudder and brake pressure to contre it.

Well, most airplane's brake pedal are pressure based, and much hervier than what a plastic one could offer, so it's much easier to make it smooth and even for that matter...

Nowadays the load-cell based braking pedal for Racing sim is quite popular, I'don know if there is any consumer priced load-cell rudder-brake pedal for flying?

• Upvote 1

If you use FSUIPC, you can set a curve, aka "slope", that provides for a reduced output through the early part of the axis travel, and then the rate of application ramps up as you really put your foot into it.

Done that way, the control has finer resolution at normal (say < 50%) brake pedal travel, and any difference between the two pedal outputs is reduced.

There are better (programmatic) ways to improve it further...I wrote a custom utlility I use in my setups that reads the raw hardware brake axis values and if they are within ~15% of travel from one another, it equalizes the values at the higher of the two.  I then re-inject the adjusted values using the vJoy virtual joystick driver, and P3D uses the vJoy virtual axis as its brake axis input.  I use a C++ companion program that runs automatically with P3D and does a lot of other custom control manipulations, but I think a simpler dedicated lua program could probably be written to do the same sort of thing since John/Pete Dowson have added vJoy functionality to the interface.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

14 hours ago, w6kd said:

If you use FSUIPC, you can set a curve, aka "slope", that provides for a reduced output through the early part of the axis travel, and then the rate of application ramps up as you really put your foot into it.

Thank you for that suggestion! I have a fully licensed version 6, and I think that slope is exactly what I am looking for.

14 hours ago, w6kd said:

.I wrote a custom utlility I use in my setups that reads the raw hardware brake axis values and if they are within ~15% of travel from one another, it equalizes the values at the higher of the two.

Must be exciting to be at a level where you can write code for an addon app that speaks directly with the flight sim. Am trying to get there myself. I actually feel like I have seen an option in one model to do the same thing as your utility does, and set the brakes to apply pressure equally. Might have been the Q400?

Still curious how pilots in real life deal with this challenge. Am guessing you really need to plant those heels so as to keep them steady 🙂

On 5/26/2021 at 3:29 PM, sunny_in_the_sky said:

Thank you for that suggestion! I have a fully licensed version 6, and I think that slope is exactly what I am looking for.

Must be exciting to be at a level where you can write code for an addon app that speaks directly with the flight sim. Am trying to get there myself. I actually feel like I have seen an option in one model to do the same thing as your utility does, and set the brakes to apply pressure equally. Might have been the Q400?

Still curious how pilots in real life deal with this challenge. Am guessing you really need to plant those heels so as to keep them steady 🙂

During my initial flight training, Cessna 152, my instructor only wanted me to use the brakes as a last resort.  So I would practice, a lot, ensuring my airspeed and ground speed were such that brakes weren't needed.  In larger aircraft that meant sometimes using reversers on shorter runway's. 

Another option in the sim, albeit with less realism, is to use one yoke button to apply both brakes at the same time.

• Like 1

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

On 5/28/2021 at 10:27 AM, Sabre57 said:

ensuring my airspeed and ground speed were such that brakes weren't needed

I'll try to keep that in mind 🙂

I notice that with the PMDG B738, for example, pressing one brake during taxi, helps me turn in that direction. This doesn't seem to hold true for all models, as some models will just brake in a straight line even if you only press one of the brakes.

Wonder if what you said also applies for taxiing, and how it applies to larger models.

6 hours ago, sunny_in_the_sky said:

I'll try to keep that in mind 🙂

I notice that with the PMDG B738, for example, pressing one brake during taxi, helps me turn in that direction. This doesn't seem to hold true for all models, as some models will just brake in a straight line even if you only press one of the brakes.

Wonder if what you said also applies for taxiing, and how it applies to larger models.

Using differencal brake for turning is helpful for tight turn, but it's not recommended for normal opreation by Boeing, it might put more stress into the landing gears than necessary. And you normally don't want stop the airplane in middle of turn.

Edited by C2615
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 6:49 AM, w6kd said:

Alternatively, you can retain the constant slope but reduce the max reflection.
This can't be done through the FSUIPC interface but requires the ini file to be edited.
For example, instead of having a max calibration value of 16380/-16380, you can set 14000,-14000, or whatever. This will dampen the output.
This applies to all axis, not only brakes

• Upvote 1

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

6 hours ago, C2615 said:

And you normally don't want stop the airplane in middle of turn

Haha, that is exactly what has been happening to me since I have been trying to mix in the use of brakes for turning with the B738.