Sign in to follow this  
sho69607

Intermittent Buzzing sound (cpu?) when using p3d

Hello,

I keep getting intermitten buzzing sounds in my headphones when running p3d. I believe it is the sound that you get when your cpu is overloaded or you get a BSOD. Not sure of the technical term, but as far as cpu usage goes I have core 0 at 100% and the remaining sitting around 20-30%. Not exactly overloaded, but I am wondering what is causing this noise. For reference it occurred last when using the PMDG T7.

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Wiggle your headphone pin a bit where it goes into the motherboard / pc. Sometimes I have to pull the pin out ever so slightly due to bad connection, which makes sound go away. Maybe try it?

Are you absolutely sure it is coming through the headphones? My PC was doing that and it turned out to be one of the very thick braided connection wires having shifted position somewhat so that occasionally it was just skimming the edge of one of the fans in the case. It only made a noise when that cooling fan got some speed up if the computer was under a heavy load, which initially made me think it was something other than just a bit of friction on a wire that wasn't cable-tied fully out of the way.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

7 hours ago, sho69607 said:

Hello,

I keep getting intermitten buzzing sounds in my headphones when running p3d. I believe it is the sound that you get when your cpu is overloaded or you get a BSOD. Not sure of the technical term, but as far as cpu usage goes I have core 0 at 100% and the remaining sitting around 20-30%. Not exactly overloaded, but I am wondering what is causing this noise. For reference it occurred last when using the PMDG T7.

By definition if core 0 is at 100% you are loading your CPU to capacity.  However, on the balance of probabilities its more likely to be something like @Chock mentioned above..

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

18 hours ago, Chock said:

Are you absolutely sure it is coming through the headphones? My PC was doing that and it turned out to be one of the very thick braided connection wires having shifted position somewhat so that occasionally it was just skimming the edge of one of the fans in the case. It only made a noise when that cooling fan got some speed up if the computer was under a heavy load, which initially made me think it was something other than just a bit of friction on a wire that wasn't cable-tied fully out of the way.

Yeah I am positive its coming through my headphones. Is a bad sound driver a possibility? That's the only other thing I can think of.

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

13 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

By definition if core 0 is at 100% you are loading your CPU to capacity.  However, on the balance of probabilities its more likely to be something like @Chock mentioned above..

Yeah I wonder why p3d hits core 0 so much, even in V5. Rarely is it below 100% for me. Maybe my settings are too high?

~Spencer Hoefer

13 minutes ago, sho69607 said:

Yeah I wonder why p3d hits core 0 so much, even in V5. Rarely is it below 100% for me. Maybe my settings are too high?

Definitely...

Refer to multiple threads Inc comments by @SteveW about hyperthreading, affinity masks etc.  The basic principles for good performance IMO are:

1. Having good balanced hardware in the first place

2. offloading work from the main sim core using an affinity mask and Process Lassoo (or other app), so you are able to use the that hardware capability to the maximum

3. Limiting frame rate to a level that doesn't cause 100% CPU saturation, so you're working within the available capabilities (some situations I can run 50hz vsynced perfectly fine, other use cases require me to drop it to 30Hz vsynced)

4. Adjusting settings to suit visuals v performance

Edited by kevinfirth
  • Like 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png