Sign in to follow this  
robert young

Tried VR in P3d - why so much clearer vs Fs2020?

I hadn't fired up P3d for months, then it occured to me to compare it in VR with Fs2020, which so far is a blurry mess for me despite endless tweaking and reading up on Quest 2 best settings. Imagine my surprise when I started VR in Prepar4.5 and blow me down - on EXACTLY the same Quest 2 settings as used in Fs2020 it was about 3x clearer, twice as smooth and furthermore, you can overcome the washed out colours in Oculus because the HDR saturation settings immediately show in the sim.

Actually, it was even better than that. I ended up with a higher Oculus sample rate, a higher refresh rate and with almost everything maxed out. I got easily 35 fps and 45 if I toned things down. It was almost a pleasure to fly around!

What gives? Any theories? - apart from I suppose that FS2020 has more to render, generally speaking.

System: i7 o/clocked to 4.5 ghz - Nvidia 1080 ti.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

You can get very nice visuals in the quest in VR....

You just have to avoid the temptation to fiddle excessively with under-the-hood Quest settings. In fact I'm finding that pretty much the only thing that should probably be done with things such as the oculus tray tool is to confirm that all settings are at zero.....

Note: The 18Hz setting in tray tool may be useful.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Note: The 18Hz setting in tray tool may be useful.

Yes I noticed that. But there is a distinct difference between P3d and MSFS. The former is so much clearer and so much smoother. Could be many reasons but I won't speculate. I'm just reporting what I see without bias or tribal preference.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Using similar IQ settings in each sim, the display of my HP G2 looks pretty much the same to me in both P3d5 and MSFS. Both are sharp and it's easy to read all the gauges. It isn't 4K monitor sharp, but it's definitely usable in both sims.

The difference is that MSFS setup is effortless and the P3d5 setup required online reading and fiddling.

As others have written in the ongoing HP G2 "farewell" thread, I find myself going back to Track IR/4K monitor. The VR headset gets uncomfortable after more than an hour of flying.

the Q2 has the advantage of AirLink (no flippin’ wires) for comfort,

just as clear VR in MFS & P3D here - both sims offer good VR experiences now…

Edited by craigeaglefire

It was my experience that P3D 4.5 was a non starter for VR, more of a proof of concept than anything. 5.2 is a fairly decent improvement in my experience. You’ve got to follow the P3D settings guide in addition to your HMD’s optimisations. 

I’ve taken to using it in VR only recently because I find the FS Labs A320 completely unmatched for Airbus options and my head is all over the place when the faecal matter goes into number 2. And because this is my RL office and I want loads of exposure to non normals then I’m pretty happy with the performance although it’s not quite as good as MSFS and a fair way short of DCS. 

Edited by aidanlegras