Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

So, how's VR performance of pmdg DC6?

Just wondering  how it compares to fbw a320 and aerosift crj.

Would love to buy dc6 but I'm struggling with vr performance  lately.

Thanks for your input!

Jozeff

• Upvote 1

crj is the best perf of the three.  dc6 is fine.  fbw is fine but a bit heavy after landing and taxi on ground.  

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Ok, thanks a lot!

I noticed indeed that fbw has pretty low fps while in the ground but in the air it's much better.

Cheers

Jozeff

After completing two full flights plus a flight with a couple laps around the pattern, I am fairly happy with the performance of the DC-6 in VR. What I have had issues with is that the cockpit is so large that it can be hard to read the labels on switches because they are so far away from you. When using the GPS, it is very small and well away from me that I literally have to stand up out of my flight chair to get my head close enough to it in order to see all of the text.

I have also had trouble clicking things on the lower console. The AP mechanical disconnect lever is a good example of this. It is buried beneath the mixture levers and even with moving me head around in all sorts of positions, I have trouble getting the mouse pointer to highlight it and click on it. Thankfully it is mapped to the Z key so I have been using that instead. I will need to map a few other switches and levers that are hard to access in VR.

I have tried flying it in non VR to see if it is easier but then you need to keep swapping around view presets to reach things so you need to remember which preset number goes to what switch. It also ruins the immersion for me switching views all the time.

Once I learn and memorize all of the switches, I wont need to read their labels so that will become less of an issue and with enough of the hard to reach knobs and switches mapped to my HOTAS, that will become less of an issue as well.

On 6/23/2021 at 11:35 PM, ryebred2 said:

After completing two full flights plus a flight with a couple laps around the pattern, I am fairly happy with the performance of the DC-6 in VR. What I have had issues with is that the cockpit is so large that it can be hard to read the labels on switches because they are so far away from you. When using the GPS, it is very small and well away from me that I literally have to stand up out of my flight chair to get my head close enough to it in order to see all of the text.

I have also had trouble clicking things on the lower console. The AP mechanical disconnect lever is a good example of this. It is buried beneath the mixture levers and even with moving me head around in all sorts of positions, I have trouble getting the mouse pointer to highlight it and click on it. Thankfully it is mapped to the Z key so I have been using that instead. I will need to map a few other switches and levers that are hard to access in VR.

I have tried flying it in non VR to see if it is easier but then you need to keep swapping around view presets to reach things so you need to remember which preset number goes to what switch. It also ruins the immersion for me switching views all the time.

Once I learn and memorize all of the switches, I wont need to read their labels so that will become less of an issue and with enough of the hard to reach knobs and switches mapped to my HOTAS, that will become less of an issue as well.

I'm using VoiceAttack and I can wholeheartedly recommend it for various things including control of custom camera's. I just have to say things like: EFB, Radio panel, Engineer, Engineer standing, Co-Pilot, and I am in that viewing position. Works great.

It’s flyable in VR, but the system is loaded, and not as smooth as other planes, like the spit. 

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58