Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

What LR Must Do

2 hours ago, Bjoern said:

a self-made LOD adjustment script for situations that maintains 40 FPS in emergencies

I believe many would be interested in trying this!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 7/1/2021 at 3:51 PM, mSparks said:

When i want looks good for pure entertainment I'd just fire up battlefield 4 on the ps4 and jump in the apache for half an hour. 7 years we've had this, and even BF4 has better view distance than I see in MSFS:

+10 !! PS4+BF4 and looking forward to PS5+BF6 (well if I can find a PS5).

• Like 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

17 hours ago, RXP said:

I believe many would be interested in trying this!

There's already four or five of those type of scripts (AutoLOD, 3jFPS, etc.) in the "utilities" section on x-plane.org, so it really is nothing new apart from that I made it myself.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

@Bjoern this is my point: there are already a bunch of them and as a user (not as RXP) It is not always easy to decide which.

I was more thinking that you've tweaked this further for your own needs and that sharing what you went through, what settings did you change and for what reasons according to your own needs, might actually be valuable for many other users too eventually.

Edited by RXP

2 minutes ago, RXP said:

@Bjoern this is my point: there are already a bunch of them and as a user (not as RXP) It is not always easy to decide which.

I was more thinking that you've tweaked this further for your own needs and that sharing what you went through, what settings did you change and for what reasons according to your own needs, might actually be valuable for many other users too eventually.

All of these scripts basically work with two datarefs. sim/operation/misc/frame_rate_period provides the input variable. To attain a certain FPS target, sim/private/controls/reno/LOD_bias_rat is then incremented or decremented depending on the actual framerate being higher or lower than the target framerate. So it's basically just a proportional controller. Adjusting LOD ranges at runtime will naturally cause some object popping in the distance, so there is a certain tradeoff.

My version is part of a bigger toolbox, the rest of which is incomplete and entirely undocumented. Publishing that would only generate questions that I'm unwilling to waste my time answering.

If it's any help: 3jFPS-wizard11 was the tool I used to use before.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

On 7/2/2021 at 6:15 PM, mSparks said:

Its the kind of flight you want to make in a simulator a lot, and never irl if you can avoid it, but the examiner was booked and paid for, no refunds for bad weather and it was VFR legal conditions.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the context of your original statement about MSFS and VFR. But hey...thanks for all of the effort you put into deflecting...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the context of your original statement about MSFS and VFR. But hey...thanks for all of the effort you put into deflecting...

Why do you say that?

MSFS can't do MVFR afaict, and doesn't have any of the VRP objects needed to practice a VFR flight in MVFR. How can you do VFR in MSFS when all the important elements for doing so are missing?

AutoATC Developer

11 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Why do you say that?

MSFS can't do MVFR afaict, and doesn't have any of the VRP objects needed to practice a VFR flight in MVFR. How can you do VFR in MSFS when all the important elements for doing so are missing?

Trying to narrow the scope after making such a general statement is so transparent, that I would have to lower mysellf beneath the antics to debate about it. Carry on...you have already proven my point.

9 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

Trying to narrow the scope after making such a general statement

You are referring to

On 7/2/2021 at 12:21 AM, mSparks said:

I think the insult I guess (not that I've heard it) is that it doesn't have the stuff needed for IFR (flight planning stuff IIRC?), and doesn't have the view distance or elements needed for VFR.

?

Are you saying it does have the view distance (MVFR conditions and long distance objects when clear) and elements (Churches, navaids, power cables - although I understand they at least have actually been added now, unfortunately to late for me now I am post windows) needed for VFR

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 minute ago, mSparks said:

You are referring to

?

Are you saying it does have the view distance (MVFR) and elements (Churches, navaids, power cables - although I understand they at least have actually been added now) needed for VFR

Go back and read what you originally wrote...other than that, I will catch you on the next topic...

5 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

Go back and read what you originally wrote...

I quoted it:

->I think the insult I guess (not that I've heard it) is that it doesn't have the stuff needed for IFR (flight planning stuff IIRC?), and doesn't have the view distance or elements needed for VFR.

Even XP doesn't have much of those out of the box, you have to download them (for free) from simheaven

https://simheaven.com/vfr-addons/

https://simheaven.com/simdownloads/vfr-aerials/

https://simheaven.com/simdownloads/vfr-landmarks/

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer