Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

The Big Question Concerning XP vs. Vista to me!

>>All one has to do is visit a typical college campus-or one>of>>your high school kids/grandkids computers and one will find>>them filled with counterfit copies of>>windows/software/copyrighted music-often they are not even>>aware they have done it.>>And lets not forget all those grandparents that now have>computers (for emailing) that the grandkids have helped set>up, with much of the software probably being copies.>Would the world be a better place if these counterfeit copies>were removed from all these kids/grandparents computers? >And would microsoft make more money if these copies were>erased? Or would there just be a sigh of relief from Redmond.>>>>When did Microsoft/software companies start taking this "big>>brother" approach? When they discovered that millions of>>dollars were being stolen from them by basically "good">people>>who would never blatantly steal from a store, have no>problem>>running illegal copies of sofware/music/videos.>>Do they really loose millions of dollars. Is it all the>villains in their homes that cause these losses by installing>extra copies. Perhaps tonight, everybody in their homes should>install an extra copy of a microsoft program on another>computer within their house. Overnight, microsoft in theory>"would loose Billions of dollars

Guest thedoggg

Go to any college campus and you will also notice: The kids barely have enough for tuition , books etc. (or is it their parents). They are not the people that will pay for software (or music, movies) anyway.Carlos

Guest thedoggg

"Most of them would not have bought it anyway, so there is no real loss."Amen

I don't think most of them shoplift though-kinda the same thing isn't it?I have two in college now-I can only hope I brought them up to know right from wrong. Then again-since their college education funds comes partly from Dad not getting ripped off by people illegally making use of his hard work-they are probably more aware of the ramifications. :-lolhttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest thedoggg

Anybody notice that the bands with the most downloads on peer to peer networks also are the bands that sell the most CDS? With software, why would you wan't to buy a legit version that has less utility than the free pirate version with infinite activation on infinite computers and DRM hacked out? If corporations wan't to sell their software it better have advantages to the user over the pirate version such as good custumer support, easy access to updates, portability, customization, etc. These corporations invented the idea that you are buying a "licence" and not a product and the so called "intelectual property". This makes obvious sense when they are selling a thousand OS's to a company's 1000 computers, but the ideology does not transfer well to the typical consumer with a couple computers or a small home network. This to me is all hogwash. If I buy a product (ie a software,or a music cd) I should be able to use it in as many devices as I own, and be able to make backup copies just in case the original is damaged. They have brainwashed the general public (as well as the bought out politicians) into believing this that was once called fair use is a crime when the true criminals hide behind the Digital Millenium Copyright Act which was designed to appease these same conglomerates and give them complete control over the content you and I can have access to. Go back and read about copyright and what it was originally intended for and you will see how it's been twisted to suit the needs of corporations with no regard for us the consumer. So what is a "pirate"? Well If you make copies of software or music to sell and make profit from someone elses work then you are a pirate.Carlos

Guest allcott

Generally, a pirate is someone who is guilty of a crime: Not everyone else. Just those guilty of the crime. As far as I know even in the depths of history it was accepted that those who didn't put to sea under the skull & crossbones were also `Not-Pirates`. Clearly this thinking must have changed when the good ship `Microsoft` set sail in the 20th Century, as now we are all assumed to be pirates until proven innocent - by trial by software. With no independent adjudicator, no right of appeal and no explanation of the process, we have to rely on a Third World lawyer with English as a Second language to be the First line of defence. Ironically, were MS actually a ship on a software sea, one could state a very reasonable case that they are pirates, defined as: "One who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without commission from a sovereign nation"Well, according to the highest court in the Sovereign Nations of the EU, they extort on a global scale, demand money with menaces and provide `protection` on their `trade routes` as long as you pay them to keep them sweet. Or to quoute the EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes: She said she had: "...no alternative but to levy penalty payments" against Microsoft, adding that "no company is above the law". "I regret that, more than two years after the decision... Microsoft has still not put an end to its illegal conduct," Ms Kroes said. Illegal conduct eh? "Aha, me hearties, methinks I spy a ship sailing under a false flag. They think they've got us fooled - when they come alongside and throw the Vista grappling hooks, throw 'em right back and roll out the guns!"Allcott

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Geofa, you're probably a pirate too by this reasoning.The EU is a collection of thousands of bureaucrats, accountable to no one, who come up with hundreds of thousands of regulations. One of those regulations was that Microsoft had to strip Media Player out of Windows XP. Allcott, you would fit in quite nicely at the EU. You've just tried to make the criminal the victim and the victim the criminal. Bureaucrats in bubbles do things like that every day.

Interesting:My daughter told me tonight that she is still automatically getting critical update notifications and downloads for Windows 98SE. I was under the impression that was long gone as well. Not so I learn.Regards:RTH

>Yeah, the DRM in Vista has issues. >>BTW, I can confirm that Windows Me is nothing like XP. Me was>built off the Windows 95/98 codebase. XP was built off the>2000 codebase, which came from NT. NT was a brand new>operating system that totally diverged from Win 95/98. >>This caused compatibiliy issues, but had a lot of advantages>because they could start from a clean slate.>Pass this by me again!! As I clearly stated, WinME is based onthe "old" FAT system (Win 98), and XP on the NTFS system (OK then theNT(FS) system (Win2000). That makes us BOTH correct - BUT,What can XP do that WinME can't for FSimmers???I'ved had PC crashes with WinME, just reload the floppyand recovery disks and away U go. I've had crashes with XP - can I justload a floppy and away U go? Not in ANY of my XP crasheshave I been able to recover with the "recovery" diskssupplied by ANY supplier.(I've had XP crashes at work also).I've had to resort to hunting around t'web for answers - oddly enough on my still working winME PC's.Having said that, maybe if I went out and bought a completeXP install package ONTOP of what I've already paid for -Naaaa I don't mind wasting a bit of TIME but not MONEY!!RegardsMickPS I'm NOT from Scotland!

Guest Ozzie

>Blindy believe? Where did I say that?>>The DRM stuff are design issues. Microsoft decided to build>DRM into Vista to protect intellectual property (ie copying>music or video). If they've gone too far in certain areas,>and break functionality that should work, that's not good. >>Oh, and yeah, they're in business to make money. I am, too.Actually You did not - therefore it is my misinterpretation of your comments that led me to make a comment that you have successfully pulled me up on - my apologiesToo right the DRM stuff is a design issue - I heard about it way back in the '90's at a staff meeting where we watched an address by the "great Man" - just before I resigned quite a luctrative job on "Principle"That is part of my point - you appear to be under the misapprehension that the DRM issues (and the WGA in XP) is there as a protection of "other peoples RIGHTS" - WRONG - they are there to perpetuate the ability of the Parent Organisation to rule the world by having the inbuilt ability to ACTUALLY DISABLE any computing device that they so choose (as long as it is "locked in"), for whatever reason they so choose (they actually dont need a reason - their "bugs" can do quite nicely by themselves :-jumpy )As to your comment about them being in business to make money - that is a fair and reasonable comment - I was also in that same category as you appear to be as wellI REALLY did try and figure out the way I could get a legitimate business going that would allow me to print International Currencies for the rest of my life whenever I felt the need - Unfortunately I was not successful - #### :-violin You appear NOT to have read the articlehttp://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.htmlSo I would like to draw your attention to a few potentially relevent bitsDisabling of FunctionalityIndirect Disabling of FunctionalityDecreased Playback QualityElimination of Open-source Hardware SupportElimination of Unified DriversDenial-of-Service via Driver/Device RevocationDecreased System ReliabilityThey actually make for some VERY interesting reading - especially the bit about Denial-of-Service via Driver/Device Revocation which is a natural follow-on from Elimination of Open-source Hardware Support- not to bother mentioning that ALL Drivers NEED TO BE SIGNED (at SIGNIFANT COST) - of course we ALL know that this is a totally tranparent process that will not add to the burden on the Consumer - Dont we :-spacecraft You also made an extremely VALID point that this IS a Flightsim Forum - that is of course VERY TRUE - but!!!! - since most if not all of the propaganda and Hype about FlightSimmulator X has been towards the "fact????" that FSX would run SO MUCH better under Vista and DX10 - (we now get told that these FACTS are in fact NOT QUITE TRUE) - I ASK you this as a businessman that obviously can smell a rat or a scam or you would possible not be a businessmanQuestion 1 - does it NOT seem a wee bit odd to you that VISTA was released to the Corporate Market somewhat before the release of FSX (with the possible conjecture that the Corporate Market DOES NOT play Games) and that the BULK of the Marketing HYPE about FSX was strongly pointed to the "benefits" of VISTA and DX10 (lets not forget that DX10 is still a furfy in the wind - I dont think I am allowed to say smoke up the arse)Question 2 - as a contrite businessman - would you consider that a MASS RELEASE of an extremely well followed "GAME" that was eagerly awaited and much anticipated might just give you a base upon which to "launch" an Operating System that that "game" aparently requires onto a WorldWide "market" that does not suspect the ramifications of such actions - HALLALUA - INSTANT MONEY and POWERJust my humble opinion - but I would be interested to see your replyHave a great day anyway (and make LOTS of MONEY)ps - I am old and dumb - I dont know this expression or you're SOL