Sign in to follow this  
Espana Pete

SU5 something to watch out for tonight

I have just read the following on another MSFS page which might be useful if you initially experience CTDs with SU5:

Even though Sim Update 5 increases the overall performance, the tricks on this page can be still used. The two last tricks on the list, disabling both ATC and trees, were removed though. One new trick is added: Disable Live Traffic due to it can decrease the frames-per-second a lot or even crash-to-desktop near large airports. This is a new issue with SU5 and is addressed in the future for sure.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

3 minutes ago, Aristoteles said:

That flag is kinda odd, what country is that, Pete?

That's the Spanish flag but with the old coat of arms on it for some reason (up to 1931).  The new flag has the newer coat of arms on it.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

41 minutes ago, Espana Pete said:

I have just read the following on another MSFS page which might be useful if you initially experience CTDs with SU5:

Even though Sim Update 5 increases the overall performance, the tricks on this page can be still used. The two last tricks on the list, disabling both ATC and trees, were removed though. One new trick is added: Disable Live Traffic due to it can decrease the frames-per-second a lot or even crash-to-desktop near large airports. This is a new issue with SU5 and is addressed in the future for sure.

Which page is that from Pete?  It should be alright to link it.  I don't understand the bit about disabling trees - I have never seen that done.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

4 minutes ago, Aristoteles said:

I see, a 1843 Spanish flag. 

Sí, Señor.  Goes back to 1785 apparently.  Maybe that's Pete's era! 😀

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aristoteles said:

That flag is kinda odd, what country is that, Pete?

An old Spanish war flag, I adopted it at the start of covid as it felt like we were at war with the virus 🙂

I live near Valencia btw

Edited by Espana Pete
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

7 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Which page is that from Pete?  It should be alright to link it.  I don't understand the bit about disabling trees - I have never seen that done.

https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2021/07/25/best-graphics-settings-guide/

I have always followed this guide (almost) and been very pleased with the results and regular updates to the guide after major upgrades.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Sí, Señor.  Goes back to 1785 apparently.  Maybe that's Pete's era! 😀

You should remember as way back when I lodged in the UK we used to partake in many a yard of ale at the local tavern together, spinning yarns about how we would take off and fly over the oceans one day!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Espana Pete said:

https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2021/07/25/best-graphics-settings-guide/

I have always followed this guide (almost) and been very pleased with the results and regular updates to the guide after major upgrades.

Ah yes!  The FS Blog.  A useful website.  Thanks!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Blueline308 said:

So live traffic crashes the sim now.  WTH?

According to the report, it MAY do when approaching some major cities. I doubt that it is wide spread and might even be confined to certain systems, but worth pointing out as a possible cause should you experience CTDs close to any major cities before MS has a chance to rectify it.

Edited by Espana Pete
  • Like 1

I wonder if we should leave Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (HAGS) to On with this update. After all it has to do with moving tasks from the CPU threads, but this update changes all of that anyway. Hmm. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

10 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

I wonder if we should leave Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (HAGS) to On with this update. After all it has to do with moving tasks from the CPU threads, but this update changes all of that anyway. Hmm. 

Good point!

This is one of the things I wish MS / Asobo would do - give advice about settings. 

I know every PC is different, but they could at least indicate to us how the game should take advantage of certain Windows settings.

There is another setting as well; I think a little tick box in the properties of the icon. 
'Optimise full screen performance' or something like that. 
It is supposed to stop stuttering when turned off. 

I don't know.  I think a lot of them might be snake oil.  Hopefully it wont matter in a few minutes now anyway!  😀

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Not to mention all the fannying about with process lasso and other "hacks" people have done outwith the simulator. And the endless debate about whether to enable hyperthreading.

• Like 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg