Sign in to follow this  
ark

Shift+Z and HandleBar Issues

I have found that on my system the popup HandleBar (or NoHandle Bar mod) does not work (the popup menu does not show) if I load a saved flight, but it does work if instead of using a saved flight I start out by selecting a departure airport and runway.

I also have a strange issue related to both the NoHandleBar mod and standard popup HandleBar regarding the Shift+Z mod. With the latest version of Shift+Z, the Shift+Z key combination works to cycle through the Shift+Z display options, but only if I first use the Shift+Z icon which has been added to the popup HandleBar or NoHandleBar mod.  If I just try the Shift+Z key combo without first using its icon on the popup menu, nothing is displayed.

I would appreciate hearing what others are seeing regarding these issues so I can determine if I have a bug of some kind in my system.

Thanks,

Al

Just now, ark said:

I have found that on my system the popup HandleBar (or NoHandle Bar mod) does not work (the popup menu does not show) if I load a saved flight, but it does work if instead of using a saved flight I start out by selecting a departure airport and runway.

I also have a strange issue related to both the NoHandleBar mod and standard popup HandleBar regarding the Shift+Z mod. With the latest version of Shift+Z, the Shift+Z key combination works to cycle through the Shift+Z display options, but only if I first use the Shift+Z icon which has been added to the popup HandleBar or NoHandleBar mod.  If I just try the Shift+Z key combo without first using its icon on the popup menu, nothing is displayed.

I would appreciate hearing what others are seeing regarding these issues so I can determine if I have a bug of some kind in my system.

Thanks,

Al

not sure about the issues, but I know Shift+Z was updated yesterday to make it SU5 compatable and it seems to be working fine for me.

If you are not using that version, may be worth trying 🙂

Graham

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

5 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

not sure about the issues, but I know Shift+Z was updated yesterday to make it SU5 compatable and it seems to be working fine for me.

If you are not using that version, may be worth trying 🙂

Graham

Thanks for the reply. I am using the latest version of Shift+Z, just downloaded it today in fact.

Al

Just now, ark said:

Thanks for the reply. I am using the latest version of Shift+Z, just downloaded it today in fact.

Al

I was just going to come back and say, based on your report.. I just tested Shift+z and like you I can only get it to work by pressing the icon on the toolbar.. not the key combo..  so yes..  you are correct 🙂

Graham

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

I have to click the icon on the toolbar, then I can use shift-Z functions. I thought that was normal.

I don't have the no handlebar mod.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Thanks Republic3D and Graham -- appreciate your feedback. If you get a chance sometime, see if the popup toolbar shows up when you are sitting on the runway after loading a saved flight. The toolbar stays hidden for me under that scenario.

Al

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moria15 said:

I was just going to come back and say, based on your report.. I just tested Shift+z and like you I can only get it to work by pressing the icon on the toolbar.. not the key combo..  so yes..  you are correct 🙂

Graham

Just to be clear, I think you will find the Shift+Z key combo will work after you use the icon on the popup toolbar at least once. I 'll try to check with the developer of the Shift+Z mod to see if that is how he intended it to work.

Thanks again for the help.

Al

Edited by ark

3 hours ago, ark said:

Thanks,

Al

Can confirm the HandleBar and saved flight situation. Cant comment on the Shift+Z mod. I don't have it.

Robin

It depends on which file you click to bring up the saved flight. If you save a flight from Welcome map, let's say a flight called Fubar, then it will create Fubar.flt and Fubar.pln. Clicking the .pln file to load the flight will allow the HandleBar to work. But not if you load by clicking the .flt file.

If you save a flight during a flight, then only an .flt file is created, there is no .pln file created. This situation is the first (and only) thing I complained to Asobo about. I did that almost on day 1 of owning the sim. It annoys me most about MSFS. Can't change weather, time of day, use the HandleBar, etc. Same thing when returning from a saved bush trip flight, can't change weather....

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

But when you land at an airport during a saved bush trip leg, then you can refuel right there. Your next leg will have whatever fuel is left from the end of the last leg.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

10 minutes ago, Fielder said:

It depends on which file you click to bring up the saved flight. If you save a flight from Welcome map, let's say a flight called Fubar, then it will create Fubar.flt and Fubar.pln. Clicking the .pln file to load the flight will allow the HandleBar to work. But not if you load by clicking the .flt file.

If you save a flight during a flight, then only an .flt file is created, there is no .pln file created. This situation is the first (and only) thing I complained to Asobo about. I did that almost on day 1 of owning the sim. It annoys me most about MSFS. Can't change weather, time of day, use the HandleBar, etc. Same thing when returning from a saved bush trip flight, can't change weather....

In my situation, the problem occurs with both .pln and .flt files.

Robin

Wow! I'm off to check it out....

I just now tested all these issues.

I have none of the problems in this thread.

The handlebar appears as normal when I move the mouse if I load a saved flight from a .flt file or from a .pln file or from a newly created file.

The shift Z HUD pops up on a new flight with keys Shf-Z, without going thru the HandleBar first.

The reason I mentioned frustration when loading from a .flt file is that the weather icon on the HandleBar is absent when loading from a .flt file, but is there if loading from a .pln file. But HandleBar is always there available on any type of flight. And ShfZ overlay is always available with not having to use the HandleBar first.

Note: I'm using an older version of the Shf-Z addon, not the latest.

59 minutes ago, Fielder said:

But when you land at an airport during a saved bush trip leg, then you can refuel right there. Your next leg will have whatever fuel is left from the end of the last leg.

How do you refuel when you land?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

It is there in the HandleBar, also can be refueled in flight. The problem is that a lot people will leave the flight while still in the air thinking to come back later. But when they restart then the HandleBar is gone and fuel and weather and time of day are gone with it. But you could edit two files to get all that back when you restart. If you land and then quit, then the HandleBar will  be there when you come back. It's a good time to refuel.