Sign in to follow this  
BadKarmaPT

ATC altitude bug...

... is there a workaround?

I was climbing to 30000 feet in my TBM and leveled at 28000 waiting for further clearence. ATC kept telling me to climb to 27000 and ended up canceling my flight plan for not complying. 🤬

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

Been happening since SU5, one of it's features I guess. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Strange that they won't fix such an essential thing sooner.

• Like 1

FlyByWire Simulations

Maybe it’s not as easy as it sounds.

According to one of the WT guys they reworked the air pressure system which is what is throwing off ATC. So they need to update it to compensate.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

Maybe it’s not as easy as it sounds.

It was easy to break. 😆

• Like 1

FlyByWire Simulations

1 minute ago, Watsi said:

It was easy to break. 😆

Obviously. It’s always easier to break something. But in this case it was broken by improving another feature.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Obviously. It’s always easier to break something. But in this case it was broken by improving another feature.

A shame I can't talk about beta. 😉

But you're right, they should take their time and make this rock solid with the next fix.

Edited by Watsi
  • Like 1

FlyByWire Simulations

1 hour ago, BadKarmaPT said:

... is there a workaround?

I was climbing to 30000 feet in my TBM and leveled at 28000 waiting for further clearence. ATC kept telling me to climb to 27000 and ended up canceling my flight plan for not complying. 🤬

Here's how I've been handling it (in the FBW A320NX)...

Cruise is set to FL350 in the flight plan. ATC clears me to climb to FL220.

If I get to 21820 feet and have not heard from ATC, then I know ATC thinks I'm at a lower altitude. I bump the altitude dial up 300 feet. If I still don't get further clearance, I bump it up another couple of hundred feet. Usually, ATC will give me that further clearance within 1000 feet of additional altitude.

Sometimes, ATC will think I'm at a higher altitude that I am. In that case, I'll get the next clearance a bit early. No worries, just set the new altitude and continue on.

If I have reached my cruise altitude and ATC tells me to expedite the climb, then I know (again) that ATC thinks I'm lower than I actually am. Again, I bump the altitude up a couple of hundred feet at a time until ATC stops nagging me.

If I have reached my cruise altitude and ATC tells me that I'm X feet above my assigned altitude, then I just lower my altitude by that amount.

I pretty much do the same thing when descending.

Yes, it's not realistic, but it works for me until the bug is fixed.

...jim

Edited by JimBrown
  • Like 2

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

11 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

Here's how I've been handling it (in the FBW A320NX)...

Cruise is set to FL350 in the flight plan. ATC clears me to climb to FL220.

If I get to 21820 feet and have not heard from ATC, then I know ATC thinks I'm at a lower altitude. I bump the altitude dial up 300 feet. If I still don't get further clearance, I bump it up another couple of hundred feet. Usually, ATC will give me that further clearance within 1000 feet of additional altitude.

Sometimes, ATC will think I'm at a higher altitude that I am. In that case, I'll get the next clearance a bit early. No worries, just set the new altitude and continue on.

If I have reached my cruise altitude and ATC tells me to expedite the climb, then I know (again) that ATC thinks I'm lower than I actually am. Again, I bump the altitude up a couple of hundred feet at a time until ATC stops nagging me.

If I have reached my cruise altitude and ATC tells me that I'm X feet above my assigned altitude, then I just lower my altitude by that amount.

Yes, it's not realistic, but it works for me until the bug is fixed.

...jim

Thank you for your input. I'll try that until it gets fixed.

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT