Sign in to follow this  
dogmanbird

World Scale - Has anyone noticed a change?

Now I have Steam OpenVR running, and it works fine during flights. In menus and loading windows it had bad shuttering.

I am happy with it, but I don't know how to go back to the original OpenXR driver.

Is it me, or is the C152 cockpit way too small (like 75%), with miniature yokes and the A320 cockpit way too big (like 125%) ?

Rift CV1

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

yep, that's how they look to me too.

I'm very very happy the OpenXR Tool kit has given us global world scale adjustment, but I'd love to be able to scale the world and cockpit separately.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, avhpilot said:

Is it me, or is the C152 cockpit way too small (like 75%), with miniature yokes and the A320 cockpit way too big (like 125%) ?

Rift CV1

With the A320 in a HP G2 I am almost agree in percentage, in the 152 for me is real, they are very tiny and are shoulder to shoulder seats.

12 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

I'm very very happy the OpenXR Tool kit has given us global world scale adjustment, but I'd love to be able to scale the world and cockpit separately.

Every model should be in same 1:1 scale. Using the CAD software, all dimensions should be close enough to real ones. If not, there is something bad in model scale and it should be fixed before releasing. Every? designer uses real world dimension as a reference. That is why this VR scale variation between models is odd.

You can't change zoom scale in VR, but maybe Asobo's models have hidden VR zoom scale? That could be the problem?

One way to check that is to design actual size C152 yoke or just a measuring tape model and put it "floating" somewhere and taxi C152 on it. Then we could verify dimensions and we would know if issue were wrong model scale or non-default zoom scale.

5 hours ago, Kassu62 said:

You can't change zoom scale in VR

You could* but there is no user setting available for this.

However you can change the perceived scale with the OpenXR Toolkit "world scaling" feature

5 hours ago, Kassu62 said:

One way to check that is to design actual size C152 yoke or just a measuring tape model and put it "floating" somewhere and taxi C152 on it. Then we could verify dimensions and we would know

Considering cockpit size perception often depends on the aircraft, but not just, this raises the question whether the model is accurately designed. However, if you do find out the model dimensions are correct, this wouldn't change the fact you could still perceive the model too large or too narrow, because it is much more complex a problem that just measuring a model. I've tried to explain some of this here:

[BUG/FEATURE] Cockpit Size and World Scale in VR - Virtual Reality (VR) / VR Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

In the end, you might find out that:

- You put two VR controllers a certain known distance apart (say distance between 2 C152 doors)
- You go into VR with the C152 and find out both controllers are perfectly aligned on the virtual doors in VR
- Yet, you still perceive the cockpit either too small or too large nonetheless!

Isn't this fascinating? Try looking at some of the cross-eye pictures I've posted in the topic linked above to see for yourself!

*very easy for Asobo: just change the projection matrix scaling terms.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)