Sign in to follow this  
Noel

2070 Super to 3080Ti: very nice upgrade

Last month I finally got an EVGA RTX 3080 SUPER ($863) after waiting for 10 months to get it. It is more than enough for MSFS on ultra at 3440x1440 and will hopefully hold me for several years. My GTX 1070 can now go to my hobby lab computer.

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

9 hours ago, WestAir said:

I've been shopping every day for a 3080 Ti. I won't pay over MSRP and so far nothing pops up that's not $450 above it.

Gonna be waiting a long time haha. Congrats on the upgrade man. It looks sharp!

That's how I feel about it, too.   If I'm going to pay out the nose, it's going to be for a 4xxxx (next gen) card, because I can wait with my 1080ti.  It's handling things pretty well still, and I'll be able to crank the LOD slider due to its 11GB VRAM, once that slider appears in the sim.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

4 hours ago, Noel said:

I will try to sell RTX 2070 Super FE after the new card survives the first few months of operation so recoup a little of that back.

Where would you sell it?  E-bay as well?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

41 minutes ago, Mace said:

Where would you sell it?  E-bay as well?

Ebay most likely or perhaps here.  Even used ones are shockingly expensive, and I see even though I bought the 3080 Ti FE over a month ago the price is actually going up from where I bought it at!

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I just upgraded to a 3080 Ti as well and I'm pretty happy. 

3440x1440 at mostly ultra settings with a few things turned down/off.

4jOuV7t.png

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

8 hours ago, Noel said:

eBAY w/ a receipt.   I entered the Newegg Shuffle daily w/ no luck but they do exist there if you're lucky to get one and they range there from $1300 on up to $1800 for a single card no bundle.  I justify it only because I buy and hold.  In fact my 7 y/o GTX Titan is still operating daily in a light-duty application.  I will try to sell RTX 2070 Super FE after the new card survives the first few months of operation so recoup a little of that back.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.  Yea, I've been on the Newegg thing with no luck so far.  I'll just keep searching...Thanks again!

Though a bit late to this party, I must share my joy over my recent 3080 ti purchase, an evga FTW3 Ultra.  I was shopping for an external backup drive at local computer store and happened to be there the day they got a shipment from evga.  Egva MSRP sticker shock to say the least, and they were asking $100 over it.  But I couldn't resist since I really wanted a 3080 ti, was tired of waiting, plus its got the full evga warranty.  And really, who knows when this gcard drought will end; nvidia just announced the 40 series won't be out until 4Q 2022!  Needless to say, an astounding upgrade in MSFS visuals and performance over my old gtx 1070 (had that card for over 5 years).  Looking towards VR as my next upgrade.

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)