Sign in to follow this  
TallTanBarbie

P3Dv5.2 Wrong Terrain Textures -- Farmland Where Marsh Is

Hello -- I'm having a weird problem with P3Dv5.2.  

I've got spots with wrong terrain textures in an area that's not covered by Orbx terrain.

Coastal islands that are normally covered by sand and pine trees are instead covered by farmland and hardwoods.

Areas that should be covered by water at high tide are high and dry instead.

While the fall foliage looks nice, it's in the wrong place.

I don't know what could have caused this, nor do I know how to fix it.

I've included pictures with a nearby area covered by Orbx True Earth that *does* look more or less as it should -- the trees are wrong (oaks and pines instead of just oaks) but the marshland is correct.

Is there a way to manually force P3D to cover a certain area by a chosen type of terrain?

This should be a causeway through marsh and underwater at high tide but instead it's farmland.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dgg7y0c7ntybg4/Jeykll_Causeway.jpg?dl=0

This island should have a beach and covered by pine trees.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d93957r8804fat/Jeykll_Wrong_Textures.jpg?dl=0

For comparison, this area is covered by Orbx True Earth and is an example of what it should look like.

While it wasn't exactly like this before, it was close.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1wpx8rfl6i58mm/Cumberland.jpg?dl=0

You might try running the "sync scenery" tool in Orbx Central.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3 hours ago, jfmitch said:

Is this the Bay of Fundy at the Shubenackadi River?

No, the Sea Islands in GA north of Jacksonville, FL where the MV Golden Ray capsized with all of the cars inside a couple of years ago.

8 hours ago, w6kd said:

You might try running the "sync scenery" tool in Orbx Central.

Yes, I tried that -- also deleting the terrain.cfg file and letting P3D / Orbx rebuild it.

I keep getting Ohio midwest looking farmland where skinny pine trees and beach sand should be.  

I have ASP3D, ENVTEX/ENVSHADE for clouds, but I don't think I have any add-on terrain for the Golden Isles / Sea Islands as no one as ever made any to my knowledge, so I guess I'll have to 🙂

Which ORBX product(s) are you referring to here?  Important info to help fix your issue.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 hour ago, Dave_YVR said:

Which ORBX product(s) are you referring to here?  Important info to help fix your issue.

I have all the Orbx Global, Vector, Terra Flora, HD Trees, etc. products as well as the True Earth series.

I also have the new PILOT'S Ultimate Global mesh.

The location in question is just north of the Orbx True Earth Florida area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.0768702,-81.442948,21505m/data=!3m1!1e3

This is what the area *should* look like at low tide, but the marshy areas are showing up as farmland.

Your issue seems to be more of a landclass issue than anything just by description and you don't mention having any landclass addon such as ORBX NA LC. Here's what mine looks like with TE Florida at the bottom and the transition to ORBX NA LC.

2021-9-13-19-44-40-390.jpg

Edited by Dave_YVR

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Yeah, mine looks much the same.

I don't have the P3D default lime green trees enabled, I have TerraFlora v2 as well as Global Base, Vector and OpenLC North America.

That's Jekyll Island airport in the background - 09J

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

2 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

Your issue seems to be more of a landclass issue than anything just by description and you don't mention having any landclass addon such as ORBX NA LC. Here's what mine looks like with TE Florida at the bottom and the transition to ORBX NA LC.

2021-9-13-19-44-40-390.jpg

I do have Orbx NA LC as well as the other Orbx LC for the other continents -- which I completely forgot about.

Doing a "Verify Files" via Orbx Central for Orbx NA LC did the trick.  Thanks for reminding me 🙂

BTW, the small airstrip at the bottom of the picture on the north end of Cumberland Island was one of the places that we weren't supposed to try and land on when I was learning to how to fly.  Naturally, I did it anyway -- as well as fly under a couple of bridges.  Didn't get caught though.  Somebody did eventually wreck the plane I learned how to fly in trying to land there — it wasn't me...

Looks like the boundary for TE Florida goes right through  this area.  You can see the boundary line that goes off towards the western horizon.

https://ibb.co/HhYCndr

Edited by TallTanBarbie
  • Like 1

Why are you using Vector. The advice at ORBX from resident guru Nick Cooper is to ignore it. P3D V5.2 HF1 has corrected the anomalies which Vector is meant to deal with.

Sherm