Sign in to follow this  
Rob G

MSFS with Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop

Hi everyone. I have decided to try running MSFS with Virtual Desktop. I would like guidance on what needs to be set up, what steps and in what order to execute to set up a run.

I have Virtual Desktop installed in the Q2, I have the VD utility installed on the PC. I can successfully connect to the PC and see the desktop. What I am interested in is:

1. Steam VR setting to use?

2. Should I use the standard Steam OpenXR or a third party OpenXR?

2. VD settings to start out with for Q2 VR (high end gaming PC, i9-10900, ASUS 3090, 32GB RAM, M.2 drives)?

3. The order to do things (I have had issues figuring out exactly how to get MSFS up in VR using VD)?

I know there are varying opinions as to whether Link, AirLink, or VD is the best way to run MSFS VR so I want to try VD for myself. While getting the basic VD set up has not been hard, getting MSFS up and running in VR has been difficult. Obviously I cannot test it and tweak settings if I can't even get it running correctly under VD.

Please help a newbit to VD and VR....... thanks so much ........... Rob

• Like 1

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

Fans: (7 Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB)

Hi Rob - prior to Airlink, I was using VD and found the experience to be good but a bit choppy and inconsistent. I can't recall which version of OpenXR I was using.

However, I'm currently using the Oculus openxr runtime with Airlink, and it's a buttery smooth experience with no fussing or tweaking - just using all of the default Airlink settings. It's actually much smoother than the wired USB cable experience.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on the best openxr runtime for VD - but know that Airlink is a good option if you can't get VD working.

BTW - It's all certainly worth the hassle. The Q2 with MSFS is nothing short of amazing.

1 hour ago, enright said:

Hi Rob - prior to Airlink, I was using VD and found the experience to be good but a bit choppy and inconsistent. I can't recall which version of OpenXR I was using.

However, I'm currently using the Oculus openxr runtime with Airlink, and it's a buttery smooth experience with no fussing or tweaking - just using all of the default Airlink settings. It's actually much smoother than the wired USB cable experience.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on the best openxr runtime for VD - but know that Airlink is a good option if you can't get VD working.

BTW - It's all certainly worth the hassle. The Q2 with MSFS is nothing short of amazing.

What kind of sim settings are you using with all default arlink settings?

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

Fans: (7 Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB)

18 hours ago, Rob G said:

What kind of sim settings are you using with all default arlink settings?

I’m doing a high / ultra hybrid with a 3080 GPU and scaling set to 100%. You could probably go all ultra with your 3090 - but smoothness is everything with VR so it comes down to personal preference. 

I think the things to go for are: legible gauges, buttery smoothness, and graphical detail in that order of priority. Everyone’s definition of each of those aspects is different - so experiment a bit, and then just relax and enjoy and don’t worry about 1 or 2 FPS here and there.

Good luck!

The new V33 software and airlink...

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I agree that v33 (you have to have both the HMD and the PC v33) Link Sharpening is a major improvement! I didn't realize how uncomfortable my eyes were until this upgrade. It feels like I can focus again!

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/quest2-with-v33-hmd-and-pc-provides-a-sharpened-image/453908?u=whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2