Sign in to follow this  
Randall

How to enjoy FSX, guaranteed if not Grinch

Guest captaindobbin

1) Turn off bloom and the evil autogen - the latter if you want to fly anything more demanding of fps than the ultralight, beaver, cessna, and various simple GA add ons. In other words, turn it off. Water 2x low or 1x low if you prefer the darker color. 1m textures and max global, scenery complexity dense +, high resolution, AA and Aniso (if you have the card for it). High traffic. High weather. Smooth smooth fps 27-40. 2) Get Cloud9 Xclass or FSGenesis landclass3) Get Activesky!4) Get FSGenesis North America Terrain Mesh!5) Fly in British Columbia, Alaska. Winter looks great.More Optional:6) Get Mytraffic or Traffic7) Get some aircraft8) Get Megascenery Hawaii9) Get Horizons Gen X or Just Flight Real Scenery (Get another Hard Drive)10) Wait a while for things to improve

Guest Big Vern

Agree re 7!I have my Aerosim Jetliner Classics 2 loade, just bought the Abacus/Contact Sales 787, got JF A340-500 on order and am sorely tempted by the MD11 I have seen mentioned.I'm also tempted to see if I can get the CS/JF 707 Pro working in FSX.With other than default aircraft it is turning into a not unpleasant experience and TBH when I'm working on a step climb in a L1011 I'm not that bothered if I can't see every leaf on every tree.

Guest david W.

> 1) Turn off bloom and the evil autogen - the latter if you want to fly anything more demanding of fps than the ultralight, beaver, cessna, and various simple GA add ons. In other words, turn it off. Water 2x low or 1x low if you prefer the darker color. 1m textures and max global, scenery complexity dense +, high resolution, AA and Aniso (if you have the card for it). High traffic. High weather. Smooth smooth fps 27-40. > 8) Get Megascenery Hawaii> 9) Get Horizons Gen X or Just Flight Real Scenery> (Get another Hard Drive)> 10) Wait a while for things to improve Have been doing the above for the past few months. Just loving 9) and more recently 8). As you say, the frame rates are great, 25

Guest ditopilot

"evil autogen"? I like it! Yet I respect those who prefer baren lands and ghost towns.dito

Guest FxF3

Or let FSX set your settings and work from there.

Guest david W.

> Yet I respect those who prefer baren lands and ghost towns.On the contrary, my dear fellow, flying over photoscenery is a rich & rewarding experience, and as close as you can get to the real thing. And there is no need for autogen. Why not treat yourself to some of these scenery pleasures. Because, you

Those are some good ways to enjoy FSX, or do what I like to do, set water to full, autogen to sparse, turn texture resolution up.Use object placer to place some custom objects, load up some quality WWII warbirds, turn on AS6.5 and fly around the pacific island hopping WOOOHHOOO!Can't wait till I have the hardware to max autogenRegards, MichaelKDFWNot anti FS9, just pro FSX!

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest wesgarrard

Hey Captain,I agree, but never have done #3:"3) Get Activesky!"Version 6.5 for FSX doesn't support ActiveSky Graphics or Radar. I have been curious if it greatly enhances FSX without the ASG. Also when there is a fully compatible FSX release would that be a free upgrade if one purchased 6.5Regards,Wes

Guest captaindobbin

Sparse autogen is not worth the fps hit normally, but if you are island hopping like above and want waves it is. Island flying in general means higher fps. Shockwave Productions is the greatest and best bang for your buck. Fantastic warbirds. The object placer is a great tool indeed!Yes Activesky WX Engine is a big improvement over fsx's default real world weather. Just much more complex and realistic looking. Not sure about the free update, though.

Guest crimplene

>On the contrary, my dear fellow, flying over photoscenery is a>rich & rewarding experience, and as close as you can get to>the real thing. And there is no need for autogen. Photoscenery can look much, much better with autogen. Do you know the autogen-demo by Horizon? That looks absolutely wonderful and is surprisingly FPS-friendly. Flying low and slow photo scenery can look quite flat.As a GA Pilot (not in real life) who usually lands on small fields, I don't need traffic except some cars and boats.Sometimes I like to fly with heavy clouds and some precipitation. Usually I have to do this without any autogen. My CPU is an AMD 3800+ single core.

>"evil autogen"? I like it! Yet I respect those who prefer>baren lands and ghost towns.>>ditoIs it 'AutoEvil' or EvilGen'? lol

Guest captaindobbin

The autogen hit when flying with photoscenery is less because there is no need for many vector objects (e.g. roads). Also the programming is different, from what I understand, since it's custom. The Horizons demo runs significantly better than regular autogen. In Megascenery there is less autogen density to begin with.

Guest ditopilot

>> Yet I respect those who prefer baren lands and ghost>towns.>>>On the contrary, my dear fellow, flying over photoscenery is a>rich & rewarding experience, and as close as you can get to>the real thing. And there is no need for autogen. >>Why not treat yourself to some of these scenery pleasures. >>Because, you

Guest david W.

Yes, agreed, I have the Horizon Gen-X scenery with the autogen demo. It is great for flying at low altitudes (below say 500 ft).It is amazing how well it blends in with the photoscenery, and is all accurately placed. I enjoy skimming over the tree tops in the Bell helicopter. And to think that they will later release autogen for the entire England & Wales.However I am still a photoscenery purist, and somehow still prefer autogen off most of the time. I like to see the real original things below, and enjoy scanning the landscape and trying to make out what I am seeing, (just as I do in real plane). (Tractors in fields, bails of hay, cows, cars, pylons, circus tents, beaches with parked cars, schools with cricket fields, tennis courts, quarry's, abandoned airfields, factories, castles, etc) Also keep my traffic fairly low. And always love having some low cloud around.

Guest david W.

May I ask which scenery it was, and how long ago?