Sign in to follow this  
1mikel151

Trees

Hi,I don't know if this has been covered before (I have done a search but nothing useful came up) but is it only me or do some of the trees seem far too tall? It certainly looks that way to me, so I have a question, is there a way to make the trees smaller: I don't mean reduce the texture size but actually to reduce the height of the trees themselves so as to match them better to the size of the autogen buildings? Adam Mills.

In the FS9 SDK that was a tool called autogen annotator that let you edit the autogen per cell. I assume the same took is in the FSX SDKs, but keep in mind, you have to edit each and every tree on each and every cell which will be tedious.Another way would be to decrease the tree image on the texture so that it appears smaller in the sim, this was done with an addon for FS9.Regards, MichaelKDFWNot anti FS9, just pro FSX!

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest allcott

Four. I made a post about it some time ago. I suspect it ensures that the per-pixel resolution enables the trunks to be seen, and to allow each tree to actually spread its foliage over a wider area - if they just stretched them out sideways the proportions would look all wrong. Now with SP1 you can turn up the wick on density, anyway.I use GenX trees by Adnan Arif (who did the GenReloaded trees for FS9) or Aime Leclercq TreeX2.1, both available from the library. If you use a widescreen monitor with the widescreen value = true in the FSX.cfg it makes a massive difference to me - but as ever, YMMV.Incidentally, the SDK shows that trees come in sizes small, medium and large, so if you have any on an approach that simply would not be tolerated in real life, you can `prune` them back!It is nice to have individual trees, but surely it should not be beyond the wit of man to define `forests` as single canopy objects rather than placement of many hundreds of individual trunks, boughs and leaves? All those unnecessary details where you can't possibly see them!In real life, there is a perception issue that has not quite been resolved yet by any sim engine - as you climb you reach a point at which objects on the ground lose their vertical aspect and their proportions are defined only by the square meterage they occupy on the earth, unless they are prominently tall like skyscrapers. I find the default FS trees don't do that very well, but Adnan's do allow the trees to kind of merge with the detailed landscape at 2m res or above. Allcott

>Now with SP1 you can>turn up the wick on density, anyway.Not me. I cannot go higher than Normal, while I used Very dense to Extremely dense before Sp1. See my other topics. ;)>I use GenX trees by Adnan ArifI'll check that one out. Pity indeed every tree has to be a 'loose thing'. Also, when you look at forests areas from above you can hardly see roads: I remember having a hard time finding some spots in Google Earth because I couldn't see the roads! In FSX however the roads are placed on top of everything, it seems. I'd also like to have canopies instead of all those single elements...EDIT:I can't find Genx by Adnan Arif... Anyone knows where it is? BTW I already tried TreeX but it didn't help my low fps above trees (using the performanca textures).

Guest JSPuonti

The "GenX" title is somewhat misleading, as that's not what the package is called. Its real name is "FSX GenReloaded Photoreal Trees"; the file in question is called fsxtrees.zip and you can find it from FSDome:http://www.fsdome.com/scenery_1.htm

Thx. I installed them and I think I like them. They seem to blend more into the texture, which I like because I am forced to use autogen at Normal while I'm used to Dense or even Extremely dense: using Normal make the autogen a lot more obvious and sticking out. But with these trees I sometime have trouble seeing what is texture and what is autogen, which I like. And no, it's not like you could turn of autogen altogether: the autogen trees just don't stick out as much as they used to (making it too clear I am using Normal), but I can clearly see them where I want to see them: on top of the mountainedges, which look very bare and very round without autogen. Still... popup of autogen and blurries still ruin the experience...